Guys: Thanks for the info and Buck, no disrespect taken. I'm definitely not trying to construct anything but a well documented and factual history on the knives. I just bought this set from Dave Harvey, who got it from Earl's widow. Dave gathered what info he could on the knives from Earl's wife and he spoke to Gary Randall about them. Dave was impressed with the fact that the blades are stainless and was trying to establish the rarity of such blades on early bowies. He documented what he knew about the knives in letter form, so I'd have some authenticated history. Dave never had any mention from Gary that the etch might have been done outside the shop, so I never really thought about it. I agree with your opinions and I'm going to have to say "jury's out" on the etch at this point. I appreciate your comments very much and would also welcome any info with regards to the history of stainless on the early bowies. Gary told Dave Harvey that back when these were made, the shop was filling special requests and trying different things. Based on his and Bo Randall's close relationship with Earl Witsaman, Dave said Earl most likely got Bo to agree to do these knives in stainless for him. I just figured that whoever forged the blades from stainless at that time probably just did the etch with Bo's approval. I still think that's a possibility, but also have an open mind to that not being the case. I'm going to research these knives as far as I can go and hopefully be able to put together more actual facts. Please don't ever think that I would try to put my own "story" to the knives. I would never do that, all I'm after is the real history. The knives themselves are really cool beasts, I love the set and it's fun to try to figure out the history. Again, I welcome your info, opinions and I appreciate your wealth of knowledge and your time. Thanks,

Pete

Edited by AV8R (10/13/13 03:45 PM)