Griff,
To the best of knowledge (and that can be quite limited at times) the shop uses a buffer and a small amount of rogue applied to the knife. I can never seen any waxes used. There could be a case made for some type of compound being called into service but I have not seen it done.
The buffer is cranked up and the rogue (probably not the correct term) is applied to the moving buffing wheel prior to the knife being worked on. Often this process is repested, depending upon the severity of the initial surface and the amount of application needed.
I'll check with Jed Peckham (Randall's production foreman) when I see him next. If all of this in incorrect, I'll re-post and ammend it. Hope this helps.
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: I like the final finish. I think it is perfect. Enough of the "shine" without too much "flash". Below is one of my Stanaback Specials (4 5/8" version) finished at the shop in a piece of jade green NASA G-10 insulator, from Cape Canaveral, (launch pad complex #39). You can see the "before and after". (You can even detect where the insulators were bolted down on the circuit boards!...CCS

Attachments
------SSP-LONG-NASA JADE-09,2011 009.jpg

------SSP-LONG-NASA JADE-09,2011 008.jpg

------SSP-LONG-NASA JADE-09,2011 001.jpg

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (04/06/13 09:53 AM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com