Randall Made Knife Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#9912 - 01/29/07 09:50 PM Re: Limit: five options [Re: bohica]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Bambalam
Quote:

In the bigger picture RMK shop has set a price for it's Model # 14 sold in 2006 and most steelers are inflating this price, that is what is an unreasonable price to me! If a knife dealer (non RMK authorized) purchase a knife from an authorized RMK dealer then turns around the next weekend and adds 150.00 USD to the price... what is acceptable about that, nothing-- he's screwing however purchases the knife.

Corbin,

I guess I'm one of the people you call "steelers" and "screwing" people.....

I don't mind you having your opinion.... but let's keep the name calling out of it. When you accuse people of stealing.... you may find that you become very UNWELCOME.

For a man that just bought his first Randall.... you sure have a lot of ideas how the rest of us should conduct our business.......

#9913 - 01/29/07 10:08 PM Re: Limit: five options [Re: tunefink]
bohica Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Florida, Lakeland
steelers is a typo, I ment sellers... and I do not quite care if I am welcome or not! This is a place to speak your mind...like it or not!

...”he's screwing however purchases the knife.” That's how I see it and I have heard nothing to make me think differently.
Corbin Fletcher #800 http://www.corbinfletcher.com

#9914 - 01/29/07 10:08 PM Re: Limit: five options [Re: tunefink]
7033grip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Winter Haven, Florida
I thought he was talking about the Pittsburgh Steelers.

If he was talking about anyone else, he'd be kinda silly.

Dubie Baxter
RKS #5099

#9915 - 01/29/07 10:18 PM Re: Limit: five options [Re: bohica]
bohica Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I do not care how or what your business is, or how you run it that is non--of my concern!

My views are as I have stated if you would like to engage me in how my views are not as yours are and how your views are more appropriate that mine ... I am all years.

#9916 - 01/29/07 10:20 PM Re: Limit: five options [Re: 7033grip]
bohica Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Dubie;

Typing error, thanks!

#9917 - 01/29/07 10:51 PM Re: Limit: five options [Re: bohica]
Cut_Man Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Bohica,

Relax, I believe that everyone of us have paid "too much" for a knife or knives since we began collecting. Nevertheless, one of two things happened...we paid the "market price"...or we did not do our "homework" on the specific knife prior to purchasing it. You are in good company here. No one forces anyone to pay a high price...but if thats what you want and you just gots'ta have it...then you pay that asking price (or you deal a bit with the seller). My friend, you did not get screwed...I see you as being "One Randall Richer"...congratulations.

Brian

#9918 - 01/29/07 10:59 PM Re: Limit: five options [Re: Cut_Man]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Deep East Texas
Quote:

Bohica,
Relax, I believe that everyone of us have paid "too much" for a knife or knives since we began collecting. Nevertheless, one of two things happened...we paid the "market price"...or we did not do our "homework" on the specific knife prior to purchasing it. You are in good company here. No one forces anyone to pay a high price...but if thats what you want and you just gots'ta have it...then you pay that asking price (or you deal a bit with the seller). My friend, you did not get screwed...I see you as being "One Randall Richer"...congratulations.
Brian

Amen my friend! I could not say it better!!
RKS #4868

#9919 - 01/29/07 11:38 PM Re: Limit: five options [Re: Cut_Man]
jclarksnakes Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Savannah GA
...I don't think I have ever paid too much for a Randall Knife. A couple of them I just bought a little too early. A year or two after I bought them they were worth what I paid for them. This really all is just a matter of time. If I want to get the best price I order from the catalog and 5 years later wil get the knife for catalog price at the time it was ordered. If I want to spend a little more I can order from a dealer and get it at the catalog price when it is bult a year or two later. If I am in a big hurry I can pay a hundred or two over current catalog and buy from one of my fellow collectors either here or at a show or on Ebay or at someone's website. It all seems pretty simple to me. Time is money. If you can wait you can save some money.
...Paying too much for something is just a simple financial mistake. I can think of dozens of things that many people commonly do that are far more costly to them than paying $100 to $200 over catalog price for a Randall Knife.
RKS #4358

#9920 - 01/30/07 01:57 AM Re: Limit: five options [Re: bohica]
silverknife Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Think Snow
People selling things for more than they paid is called "business" and "profit" is not yet a dirty word in this capatalist society.

Today many dealerships are selling the Prius and other hybrids substantially above sticker price. That has happened before with other makes of cars. Remember when the Honda Accord first came out? Is that wrong? No. Just good business. Randall Made knives and hybrid automobiles are not life sustaining items. There is nothing immoral about profiting from the law of supply and demand in what are essentially luxury items.

If you want a Randall Made knife because you want to use one for hunting or fishing or camping contact one of the several Randall dealers who sell at shop prices like Rick Ward, or Tom Clinton, or Capt. Chris Stanaback just to name 3 off the top of my head, put in your order, and soon enough you will have your knife. Dave Harvey at Nordic knives is a super guy to do business with as is Doug Kenefeck up in Connecticut jsut to name a few more. If you are willing to pay a slight premium, call A.G. Russell in Arkansas and order from him. Perry Miller at Spaceport Cutlery frequently has nice Randalls which he sells at what I consider to be very fair prices.

If you want to start building a collection of Randalls, the bad news is that you "discovered" Randalls too late if you are on a limited budget and cannot afford the premium you will have to pay to get what you want when you want it in Randall Made knives.

That being said, I too wish that all the people who are ordering knives and having their wives ordering knives, and their kids ordering knives, and their grandchildren ordering knives, and maybe even paying people to use their names and addresses to order knives to get around the 1 knife per household every three months rule so they can sell them on eBay would promptly eat you-know-what and die. However, rarely do any of my wishes come true.

Regards, Doug
RKS#1835
silverknife1@aol.com
NRA Life Member

#9921 - 01/30/07 08:22 AM Re: Limit: five options [Re: bohica]
Jim_Taylor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Corbin,

Until we retired from the knife circuit this year, my wife and I had been full time professional knife dealers. We are NOT authorized Randall dealers but we do sell Randall knives, along with lots of other brands that are collectable. I take exception to being branded a "screwer."

Allow me to state my case.

For the past twenty years, (without exception) my wife and I have flown to Eugene, Oregon, from our home in South Florida to attend the O.K.C.A. Knife show.(Just one show amongst many) Quite the trek, I assure you. We book three nights (minimum) into a hotel, rent a car, Rent tables at the show, dine out etc. We then display our Randall knives and other "stuff" in the hope that a collector will come along and buy. You're a smart guy, you work out what all of this costs!

Trust me, if our prices are too high, the items WILL NOT sell!

Thankfully, the market for RMK's has never been better. For this, Rhett and Janie must be thanked.

The Randall knives sell better than any other fixed blades because of many reasons; Scarcity and quality being the two imperatives! They also possess that VERY rare essence; ROMANCE!! For the past twenty years this has become evident to anyone with even a cursory interest in the hobby.

Nobody forces anyone to buy or sell their Randall knife. They do this of their own free will. Such dealings have gone on since time began. People fix a price on a commodity, if it doesn't sell then the price is too high and the seller will fall by the wayside. This is all that I have tried to do as a dealer.

For that, you call me a "screwer?" I think not!!

Jim Taylor. RKS#203.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod