Randall Knife Collectors Club James Behring Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94810 - 11/03/11 08:10 PM Re: Where to visit famous Randall Knives ***** [Re: oldguy]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Oldguy I really enjoy hearing or reading the stories of how the folks here became interested in Randalls and when they first learned about em. Where they purchased or received their first knives. I always find that interesting.
RKS#2166

#94812 - 11/03/11 08:33 PM Re: Where to visit famous Randall Knives [Re: Ronnie]
Keith_Hicks Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Greenbrier, AR
Does anyone have any information on Peter Hathaway Capstick's Randall? I remember reading something about it a few years ago in one of the newsletters. Something about the knife being acquired along with a letter of authenticity.

I love Capstick's books and would love some info on his Randall.
RKS Member #4613

#94814 - 11/03/11 08:54 PM Re: Where to visit famous Randall Knives [Re: Ronnie]
Perry Miller Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Outer Space
Originally Posted By: Ronnie
Cap the National Knife Museum was once located at Chattanooga. Reading your comments I suppose it has relocated....is that the case?

The Chattanooga Museum was shut down around 2000 and the contents were stored for a few years. Somewhere around 2004 the NKM worked out a deal with SMKW and the top floor was made into the current museum and remains there today. The sad news is that there are only two Randalls on display. One is the Tenite that Cap's photo is of and the other is a 13-6" that has an altered handle. The museum depends soley on donations and has very few from the custom world. In fact, they are barely able to keep the doors open even with no rent for the space. So if you happen to be in the area please give it a visit and a donation. It is well worth seeing even with only two Randalls.
RKS #024

http://www.spaceportcutlery.com

#94817 - 11/03/11 09:07 PM Re: Where to visit famous Randall Knives [Re: Perry Miller]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Thanks Perry for the info. Will check it out the next time I'm in the area.
RKS#2166

#94826 - 11/04/11 12:11 AM Re: Where to visit famous Randall Knives [Re: Ronnie]
David Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho
I had the pleasure of visiting RMK for the first time today while on a business trip to Orlando. Thank you to Gary, Jason and Scott for taking the time to speak to me. While at the shop, we spoke about my expedition to the spot where Gus Grissom's Liberty Bell 7 space capsule splashed down, our discovery of a 200 year old shipwreck nearby, my dive to 16,000+ feet to explore the wreck, and the condition of the items recovered. (See http://www.davidconcannon.com/images/Atlantic_Sands_DIVER.pdf for more info.)

The items we found on this wreck, which was within six miles of LB7 on the bottom, were remarkably well preserved. However, the salt water can act like battery acid on carbon steel at this depth. If you look closely at the photo of the recovered knife, you can see where this happened. This scarring is not present on the knife in the Indiana museum.
SHAG No. 003
NRA Life Member
www.explorerconsulting.com

#94865 - 11/04/11 01:28 PM Re: Where to visit famous Randall Knives [Re: Perry Miller]
Sidney_Redford Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Ridge Mtns. Va.
Perry the last time I was at SMKW's they had not finished the mesuem but you can still spend most of a day there looking at all of the knives and other stuff. It is a fun place to visit. I didn't realize they were in financial trouble. There is also a Bass Pro shop not to far away. Another place that can part you from your cash right quick.
RKS #84 NRA Life. Shag # 11

#94894 - 11/04/11 08:41 PM Re: Where to visit famous Randall Knives [Re: Keith_Hicks]
Jon_Peterson Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Denver, CO
Keith,

Info on Capstick's knife is in RKS 75 page 5. It is a 3-5 and is illustrated in his book "Last Horizons" on pg 257.

Jon

#94902 - 11/04/11 09:53 PM Re: Where to visit famous Randall Knives [Re: David]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: David

The items we found on this wreck, which was within six miles of LB7 on the bottom, were remarkably well preserved. However, the salt water can act like battery acid on carbon steel at this depth. If you look closely at the photo of the recovered knife, you can see where this happened. This scarring is not present on the knife in the Indiana museum.

The Rhodium plating on this knife probably helped reduce the adverse effects of the saltwater environment.

#94904 - 11/04/11 09:58 PM Re: Where to visit famous Randall Knives [Re: crutchtip]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Agreed Crutch. It was far superior to any "chrome" plating of it's day.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#94972 - 11/06/11 11:03 AM Re: Where to visit famous Randall Knives [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
David Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho
This is a fun photo. Maybe the Astro in the OP got to go on this survival training with the original Mercury 7?

SHAG No. 003
NRA Life Member
www.explorerconsulting.com

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod