Clinton Knives Stanback Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94742 - 11/02/11 10:05 PM Re: Where to visit famous Randall Knives ***** [Re: oldguy]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
When exactly did Randall go to the new style grind on the 8. Oldguy if you can nail that down you will probably get your answer. Powers was shot down in 1960, I think, so I'm thinking it's the old style. Probably thinking wrong.
RKS#2166

#94744 - 11/02/11 10:19 PM Re: Where to visit famous Randall Knives [Re: Ronnie]
oldguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Yeehaw Junction
Ronnie I don't know. The switch may have been during that time so it could go either way. There was a picture of his stuff in a museum in Russia but I could not make out any details. The picture was kinda of fuzzy. oldguy

#94745 - 11/02/11 10:24 PM Re: Where to visit famous Randall Knives [Re: Ronnie]
JRW Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Texas

Here is reported photo of Power's stuff recovered and in muesum in Russia. including his Randall--Ithink, it was posted on this forum--but maybe not, don't remember for sure.

John Westbrook
# 4496

Attachments
------Gary Powers Flight.jpg

#94746 - 11/02/11 10:33 PM Re: Where to visit famous Randall Knives [Re: JRW]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Bambalam
Powers was downed in 1960, the new style #8 showed up in catalogs in 1963.....so I am guessing it's old style.

#94747 - 11/02/11 10:52 PM Re: Where to visit famous Randall Knives [Re: JRW]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
In this photo the 8 looks old style to me.
RKS#2166

#94749 - 11/03/11 01:19 AM Re: Where to visit famous Randall Knives [Re: tunefink]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
It's the "old".
Best, Capt. chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#94757 - 11/03/11 08:58 AM Re: Where to visit famous Randall Knives [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

This just in...
Thanks to Jason Randall (actually his bride) for sending me this scan. This is Gus Grissom's knife that is in the space museum. Unusual trademark (blade to be more correct) stamp. The hilt is also indicative of the "first runs", i.e. not nearly the same shape and length as the #17's of today. Interesting, the way things evolve.
Also: As a side note: Jason tells me that the guy from the moseum is, either friends with (or related) to Grissom's brother and has made a knife himself. More to come...I hope. Thanks Jason!
Best, Capt. Chris

Attachments
------Gus Grissom's Astro.jpg

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#94758 - 11/03/11 09:13 AM Re: Where to visit famous Randall Knives [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
VERY cool!
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#94761 - 11/03/11 10:12 AM Re: Where to visit famous Randall Knives [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Hemingway Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Nice, Capt!

Everyone pulled together nicely to get to the bottom of this.

So, here's a question:

What was the thought process behind the design for the knife so that it would fit their needs in space? I have read that they couldn't find a knife appropriate for their mission and eventually turned to Randall to make a knife.

So, does anyone know what criteria they were looking for? What uses specificially did they see the design fulfilling while on their mission?

Or did they simply want a knife able to hold up in the event of using it in a survival mode once they returned to earth and before they could be picked up?

#94763 - 11/03/11 10:57 AM Re: Where to visit famous Randall Knives [Re: Hemingway]
Knife Enthusiast

Quote:
Or did they simply want a knife able to hold up in the event of using it in a survival mode once they returned to earth and before they could be picked up?

BINGO!!
Although the blade design was such that is allowed usage with their "space gloves & suit", the main purpose of the "survival kit" was just that / SURVIVAL! The splash downs were not, or had the potential to not be, exact. The possibilty of over-shooting (or under-shooting) the deignated splash down area were quite real. Facing many unknowns was the thinking behind many of the pieces of gear that were included in the kit. The small compartment between the handle scales could house several small items, which might prove invaluable in certain scenarios.
I also believe they carried gold coins and a S&W "Air Crewman". Probably not a lot of need to go on a "spending spree" in space! I am certain that some other folks will be able to add to this but this is what I have been told.
Best, Capt. Chris

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (11/03/11 10:57 AM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod