Clinton Knives Stanback Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92025 - 08/31/11 11:49 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? ***** [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Robert Frey Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Wausau, WI USA
Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
Robert,
How do you want it configured. I know you probably already know this but thumb notches are standard on a #23.
Best, Capt. Chris

Right now, I am looking at these options:

Stainless Steel - 1
Nickel Silver Single Hilt - 2
Squared Top Hilt - N/C
All Black Spacers - N/C
Black Micarta Handle - 3
Finger Grips - under (#14) type - 4
Compass (Installed) - 5

and of course the Wrist Thong, for 6 chargeable options.

I have until October 15-ish to make up my mind.

All suggestions are welcome!

ETA: The thread drift has been OK with me, the discussion for the most part was related and good info I will find useful once the knife is in my greedy paws. If I could send it back after I received it for the Wrist Thong, my problem would be solved. But, Randall may think I'm just trying to cheat on the option limit, and I don't want them to blackball me (if they do that).

Edited by Robert Frey (09/01/11 12:12 AM)
Edit Reason: More info.

NRA Life Member

#92026 - 09/01/11 12:17 AM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Robert Frey]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
Others may have more insight as to weather they will get angry at you for cheating the option limit but one things for sure they will be able to do the micarta handle correctly/without damage given its such a durable material.

Sounds like it is going to be a great knife, I love the option list. What blade length are you going to choose? Also what is the primary use of the knife? Curiosity killed the cat!

#92027 - 09/01/11 12:28 AM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Leatherman]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Ben,
There's only one blade length on a Model #23...That's 4 1/2".
Rob,
The shop does not like adding options once the knife is completed. Good luck with that one. Brass hilt would get you there. No compass? You have choices.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#92028 - 09/01/11 12:43 AM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Jacknola Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New Orleans
I hate to intrude on this line, but I didn't want to start a new one. I was looking at an "old" model 14 knife (no sheath) in a "junk" shop in New Orleans this weekend. It had no thong hole liner, but something was wrong about it to my inexperienced eye.

Is there a foolproof or easy way to tell if a thong liner was drilled out? This one had some faint circular marks inside the macarta, and some other oddities in the bevel where the thong hole exited. I just couln't pull the trigger with questions in my mind. Thanks

#92029 - 09/01/11 01:41 AM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Leatherman]
Robert Frey Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Wausau, WI USA
Originally Posted By: Leatherman
Others may have more insight as to weather they will get angry at you for cheating the option limit but one things for sure they will be able to do the micarta handle correctly/without damage given its such a durable material.

Sounds like it is going to be a great knife, I love the option list. What blade length are you going to choose? Also what is the primary use of the knife? Curiosity killed the cat!

The name of the Model 23 is the "Gamemaster", so it will be my hunting knife.

Capt.,

Yeah, the hard part is deciding which option to give up and why!!!

NRA Life Member

#92030 - 09/01/11 02:50 AM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Jacknola]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
The thong hole is 1/4" in diameter when the liner is drilled out the hole is larger than 1/4". The original thong holes before the liner was added were 1/4" as well. Stupid dang trick the thieves pull and it is or should be easily recognizable. The original thong holes were beveled and some of those dumb asses that drill these knives don't know that and that is easily recognizable. It is a constant fight. In the end, good will win over evil.
Ronnie
RKS #2166

Edited by Ronnie (09/01/11 11:25 AM)
RKS#2166

#92034 - 09/01/11 09:31 AM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Ronnie]
Jacknola Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New Orleans
Thanks Ronnie, you just saved me some money AND added to my knowledge base. I might buy the knife anyway, but will offer a fraction of the asking price and be glad to walk away. I'll keep a little set of calipers in my car in the future. Regards, Jack

#92036 - 09/01/11 09:56 AM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Jacknola]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Under those circumstances I'd drop the NS hilt for a brass and go for the wrist thong. Otherwise I would leave the NS hilt and drop the finger grips. Basically your #23 would be just like a Bradford Angier, which I like.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#92044 - 09/01/11 11:55 AM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Jacknola]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Jack, calipers are not a necessary tool for you in this case...look at your Randall knives and then look at the knife at the junk shop. It is painfully obvious that something is wrong. Also please don't buy the knife. If you ever want to sell it you're gonna have a problem. The knife is now ruined. Let the junk shop guy eat it.
RKS#2166

#92048 - 09/01/11 02:43 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Ronnie]
HALORANGER Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: FLORIDA
I would not say the knife is ruined if you plan on using it and can get it cheap. The knifes performance would not be hurt by the thong hole being enlarged. If a knife needs to be modified to fit your purpose, I see nothing wrong with it. Although once it has been modified I would not to try and sell it for something its not.
RKS#5929
HOG Member
www.bedgoodknives.com

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod