Randall Made Knife dominionhobby.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92010 - 08/31/11 08:32 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? ***** [Re: oldguy]
oldguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Yeehaw Junction
Capt,
I almost forgot to ask you that when my Model 3 Starter Set is ready to ship willl you tie my lanyard for me? oldguy

#92013 - 08/31/11 09:16 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: oldguy]
Robert Frey Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Wausau, WI USA
"How many do you own that you USE?"

I started this thread because the next one I order (a Model 23) is going to be a user, and if I want a Wrist Thong, I have to give up another option I want, or risk drilling it myself.

NRA Life Member

#92014 - 08/31/11 09:28 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Robert Frey]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Give up an option. Take the wrist thong.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#92015 - 08/31/11 09:28 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Robert Frey]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
Tom, using my 14 in the field was one of the most fun experiences with a knife I have ever had! I find it sad that people are afraid to put a knife to use in the application it was made for. The 14 is most certainly heavy duty survival knife, mine was doing what it was made to do!

As far as a chainsaw goes, those aren't much fun and I prefer hand tools to power tools any day!

As far as the thread going off topic, we are talking about randall knives on a randall forum!

#92016 - 08/31/11 09:29 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Robert Frey]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Robert,
How do you want it configured. I know you probably already know this but thumb notches are standard on a #23.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#92017 - 08/31/11 09:30 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Robert Frey]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
Originally Posted By: Robert Frey
"How many do you own that you USE?"

I started this thread because the next one I order (a Model 23) is going to be a user, and if I want a Wrist Thong, I have to give up another option I want, or risk drilling it myself.

You can simply send it in and they will drill it for you for minimal cost and it will be done right!

If the handle material is wood or some delicate material It could get damaged though.

#92018 - 08/31/11 09:36 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Leatherman]
oldguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Yeehaw Junction
Rob, the wrist thong can be handy to have. If after you decide you want it please have it done by the RMK shop. It's just not worth the chance of messing your knife up. Jerry

#92019 - 08/31/11 10:18 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Leatherman]
Tom Vaught Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Leatherman

Most Randall knives that are made are never used. How many do you own that you USE? A wrist thong is pretty much a function only option.

I would agree with every part of that post.

1) If I had access to the knowledge of "how to do it properly" (from the Craftsman who actually does that operation at Randall Made Knives), I still would not do it.
It would be my "first attempt" vs the Randall Made Knives Craftsman having done hundreds (if not thousands) of knives as part of his regular job over the years, Drilling the Thong hole.

2) How many knives do I "use"? Today, probably about 1/2 of them. Last count I had 65 knives.

a) Originally I was buying only knives from Randall and others that were sharpened and made of durable materials, A Bradford Angier #5, A Micarta #14, a Tri-athelete, a #16 Special Fighter, a #8 & #11, #3 & #4 carbon leather handle knives are among the other "users". Some were bought new, some were used.

b) Then I started collecting a knife from each Dealer, Some "Remember Vietnam" knives, and some special wood or option Knives. These would not be "used". What would be the point?

Hope that answered your questions.

Jason Randall had a couple of knives "rehandled" that were NEW KNIVES (never delivered) because he knew that I had "small hands" and would not be happy with a large grip knife as a "user". True story, ask him some time.

That being said, I have had other knives drilled for "thong holes" (where I wanted the hole) by McLaren Racing Engines machinists. A lot of set-up time had to be done not to damage the knife.

JMO

Tom Vaught

#92021 - 08/31/11 10:29 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Tom Vaught]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
On topic. Off topic. All around the topic. ... Whew!!!!!!!
I'll say one thing ... this thread is getting a lot of attention/discussion.
And that's a good thing!!!!!!!
grin
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#92023 - 08/31/11 11:34 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Sidney_Redford Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Ridge Mtns. Va.
All I can say is Da##. If you want the thong hole that bad wait for the shop, or go to evil-bay or several other venues and get it right now for just a little more money. I don't think that this drifted off topic as to become boring. Just did not set well with ONE person. Lighten up. Be happy that we have the forums back at all.
RKS #84 NRA Life. Shag # 11

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod