Clinton Knives Miles Swelze
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#91991 - 08/31/11 01:26 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? ***** [Re: cliff14094]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Cliff I think the big deal is most of us aren't machinists...much less machinists with experience.
RKS#2166

#91997 - 08/31/11 06:32 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: cliff14094]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
Originally Posted By: cliff14094
IMHO anyone with machinist experience could drill a lanyard hole in a Randall. What's the big deal?

Cliff Lacey
RKS #023

The warranty on the knife would be void.

IMO this topic is pretty much moot anyhow. Most Randall knives that are made are never used. How many do you own that you USE? A wrist thong is pretty much a function only option.

#92000 - 08/31/11 07:09 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Leatherman]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida

"A wrist thong is pretty much a function only option."

Ben,
I know a couple of collectors who, back in the "pre-5 option limit" days, were convinced (by me) to install a wrist thong on as many of their knives as they should. The reason? It allows you to display the knives in a wider variety of positions. If you have a wall-mounted, easel mounted, etc, display you can use a small finishing nail and stake the handle over that small nail with the wrist thong hole. With a small cup hook (or other piece of hardware) you can then secure the blade at any position by locating it nesr the choil.
Just one more idea....Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#92001 - 08/31/11 07:38 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southwest Virginia
"How many Randalls do I own AND use?" Let's see....
a #8 old style
2-#10-7"....one in salt water and one in the kitchen
a #10-3"
a #28 and can't decide yet about the #5 from Randall's last sale, but it is feeling so good in my hand that I'm afraid it will just have to gut something in a few more weeks.
I am lucky enough to own a couple more and have some due to arrive any day. Using 'em? I just can't help it 'cause they feel so good!!! Oh yeah, they all have wrist thong holes.
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#92004 - 08/31/11 08:13 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
Well thats something I didnt think of!

PS. when you going to show us the right way to use a lanyard?

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback

"A wrist thong is pretty much a function only option."

Ben,
I know a couple of collectors who, back in the "pre-5 option limit" days, were convinced (by me) to install a wrist thong on as many of their knives as they should. The reason? It allows you to display the knives in a wider variety of positions. If you have a wall-mounted, easel mounted, etc, display you can use a small finishing nail and stake the handle over that small nail with the wrist thong hole. With a small cup hook (or other piece of hardware) you can then secure the blade at any position by locating it nesr the choil.
Just one more idea....Capt. Chris

#92005 - 08/31/11 08:18 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Duke]
tglassco Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Gator Country
Originally Posted By: Duke
"How many Randalls do I own AND use?" Let's see....

I have about 30 Randall Made Knives. Most are big knives 12-8's, 12-9's, 8" #2's, #1's I also have some # 3's , #23's, #19's. I have a particular Model # 3 - 5" that is my GO - TO knife and has been for a long time.

One thing I won't do is to use one just to say I used it.

Sure I will slice a piece of fruit or cut up some meat, pepperoni and similar stuff with some of them just for fun because almost all of the blades are stainless but I would never take a new/unused Randall Made Knife out in the field when I have one that I use that is just as well suited for the task. Just like any other high quality tool, I will use the tool that best suits the intended purpose. And I don't cut down trees, large or small, live or dead with a Randall Made Knife and batoning is totally out of the question. smirk And for clearing out the yard after a tropical storm or worse I have two chain saws and several pruners of various sizes plus a heavy duty string trimmer with steel blade attachments. laugh

I find the Model #3 - 5" SS blade to be a very universal knife. I do have a new, unused Model #14 SS blade in a handy place on my boat for emergencies but my Model #3 would be on my belt.

Sorry Todd, I guess this thread is off track again. grin

Attachments
------100_2327 copy.jpg

Edited by tglassco (08/31/11 08:31 PM)
RKS #5553

#92006 - 08/31/11 08:23 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Leatherman]
oldguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Yeehaw Junction
Well as far as drilling a knife for the thong, it's your knife and by all means go for it. Just remember that you have waited several years for it to be made, the shop has spent a good bit of time making it for you and it looks good. But in less than a very few minutes you can ruin it forever. Sure it will void your warranty, but the shop might be able to fix it at who knows how much money. So go ahead and try it. Just don't come on the forum with your pictures and crying about what happened or how much your repair bill may be.oldguy

#92007 - 08/31/11 08:26 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: oldguy]
oldguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Yeehaw Junction
Capt, where's the thong instructions? Oldguy

#92008 - 08/31/11 08:32 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: oldguy]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Actually, if you just think deeply about Rosie O'Donell, and use your wrist as her neck, the wrist thong will do the rest.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#92009 - 08/31/11 08:32 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: oldguy]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
I'll get the wrist thong tying photos shot soon. I gotta' work...a "little" bit!!
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod