Miles Swelze Nifeboy.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#87763 - 04/16/11 01:14 PM Re: List of Sources for Model 18 Survival Items * [Re: TAH]
Drshame Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Miami
I bought 2 small Nalgen bottles..looked like the smallest I could find...still too fat. They started going on into the thread cap portion...but it narrowed down after that and they won't fit. Not too long....too wide.
Anyone know what actually fits?

frown

#87774 - 04/16/11 08:51 PM Re: List of Sources for Model 18 Survival Items [Re: Drshame]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Drshame--

I noticed the earlier posts about finding a bottle to fit inside the RMK Model 18 handle--and I asked myself why bother inserting a bottle which uses up a good part of the available space in the handle?

If the concern is about water tightness, I suspect that the handle itself might suffice. It has a rubber O-ring for that purpose. I don't recall seeing the results of any tests to determine just how water tight the handle is, but if there is any concern about its being water tight I would recommend applying a coat of silicone grease (e.g., vacuum grease) on and under the whole O-ring and into the threads. Once the butt cap is screwed on securely that should make it pretty water tight. (I would not use a petroleum product such as Vaseline or automotive grease on the rubber. Also, I would probably keep an extra O-ring in the handle in case the one on the butt cap got damaged or lost.)

Hopefully others can provide other insight to this.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#88020 - 04/22/11 10:58 PM Re: List of Sources for Model 18 Survival Items [Re: LarryWW1246]
Tom Vaught Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Just a comment on the line wrapped around the Rambo (Lile) or Model #18 type knife. The cord used on the Rambo knife was a nylon braided cord called "Duck Line" (used to secure Duck Decoys around a hunter's blind).

The line will not rot and will not float.

It can be found on the internet from many sources.

#88759 - 05/23/11 09:23 AM Re: List of Sources for Model 18 Survival Items [Re: Tom Vaught]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: USA
For the record, the Leatherman Micra is a perfect fit in the #18 handle and it offers a nice selection of back up tools.

RKS #4233

#88760 - 05/23/11 04:04 PM Re: List of Sources for Model 18 Survival Items [Re: LarryWW1246]
Cabinet_Man Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Quote:
If the concern is about water tightness, I suspect that the handle itself might suffice. It has a rubber O-ring for that purpose. I don't recall seeing the results of any tests to determine just how water tight the handle is...

Hopefully others can provide other insight to this.

Larry

Larry, and others,
The handles are water tight just with the O-ring from my experience. Here is a pic of one of my 18's on the bed of a mountain stream in West Virginia from when we took the kids camping a few years ago. I took numerous pics with it in the water and didn't get any water inside the handle whatsoever. wink
~dale

#88761 - 05/23/11 04:07 PM Re: List of Sources for Model 18 Survival Items [Re: Cabinet_Man]
Cabinet_Man Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Sorry everyone, I haven't posted pics here in quite some time and things have changed considerably. laugh The "enter an image" button is wanting the url of where the pic is hosted or located. Do we now have to host pics outside of the forum and link to them? confused
~dale

#88765 - 05/23/11 05:22 PM Re: List of Sources for Model 18 Survival Items [Re: Cabinet_Man]
Cabinet_Man Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Will try again...

Attachments
------RMK_18_WV_stream_text (Small).jpg

#88766 - 05/23/11 05:22 PM Re: List of Sources for Model 18 Survival Items [Re: Cabinet_Man]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Dale:
Go to the blue highlighted link that says: File Manager. Click that. After that click "Browse"...find your photo and click "add file"...then click "done adding file"s (or whatever it says...click "submit...You're done.
If all else fails: Send them to me via email and I'll post them.
Good luck, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#88767 - 05/23/11 05:23 PM Re: List of Sources for Model 18 Survival Items [Re: Cabinet_Man]
Cabinet_Man Offline
Knife Enthusiast

and a close up...

Attachments
------RMK_18_WV_crawdad_text (Medium).jpg

#88768 - 05/23/11 05:24 PM Re: List of Sources for Model 18 Survival Items [Re: Cabinet_Man]
Cabinet_Man Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks Capt., got it to work. wink

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod