Miles Swelze Nifeboy.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#86341 - 03/02/11 12:18 AM Re: Newbie - clean knife [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
rbmcmjr Offline
Just dropped in

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
I've always maintained that you should never get a knife blade hotter than you can "touch". I know many knife "sharpeners" maintain that theory, siting the fact that they do not have to worry about ruining the temper, heat-treat, rockwell, etc. I think a "Kettle" may be going a bit too hot. If I can clean a blade with a "warm/hot" to the touch temperature I think (for me anyway) that this is hot enough. Perhaps someone else has another idea??
Best, Capt. Chris

I can not possibly imagine that boiling water would affect the temper of a knife. Another manufacturer of carbon steel knives told me that I would have to exceed 850 degrees F before I started to lose temper with his blades. This was a topic of discussion because people were asking about using one of those baked on finishes like Kalgard (sp?). He was more concerned about damaging the micarta than the blade.

Rick

#86342 - 03/02/11 01:07 AM Re: Newbie - clean knife [Re: rbmcmjr]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
I am only quoting concerns with several different people I have talked to with regards to "sharpening" blades, particularly on electric motors, belts and wheels, etc. They all said that they were very careful not to let the blades get too warm to the "touch" for fear of loosing the rockwell and softening the blade. Made sense to me...so I don't get the blades that hot either. Besides: It's not needed to clean the blade. I would also be concerened with the plastic fiber spacers with too much heat.
None of this may matter at all...but I'm going to follow their theory. I did say "others" may have other ideas. That's fine. I get the shop-installed grease/wax composite off of the knife without over-heating the water just fine. That's all I'm saying. I will also add that too much hot water also takes the nice shine off of the handles as well.
Everyone has their own ideas. I know that mine work and I have used this method on Randalls for many years, many, many hundreds of knives with no ill effects.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Mr_Mod