Miles Swelze Randall Knife Collectors Club
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#84730 - 01/10/11 09:00 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
New2Randalls Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kalifornia
When/How:
I became aware of Randall Knives in November 2006, so yes, I was a late arrival to the party too. I saw a presentation of a knife collection that consisted of only Randall Knives.
Who:
The friend that was giving the presentation. I was hooked the first time I saw and handled them.
What
My very first Randall was a mid 1960's 8-4 with it's original JRB sheath. Very soon followed by a Model 1-8 and a Model 14 from the same person.
Where/How
I purchased the 8-4 off of Ebay for a very reasonable price. This was follow by purchasing the Models 1-8 & 14, both from the same person off of Ebay. Both knives shipped from Australia so I had a couple of weeks time to wait for them.

I now have more Randall's in my collection than the person that got me hooked on them. I really hate him for infecting me with this disease that we all collect Randall Knives grin
Here are some pictures of my first 3 knives:

Dan Snyder
RKS #5537
SHAG #010

Attachments
------Randall 1st Model 8-4.jpg

------Randall 1st Model 1-8.jpg

------Randall 1st  model 14.jpg

#84736 - 01/10/11 09:42 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Skaptch Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Great thread topic Tony - Thanks for the opportunity to regale Randalls.

My story goes like this:

When/How did you first become aware/interested in Randall Knives? Back in the early 80's. I travelled into Sydney city as I did annually & came across Mick Smiths Guns store in George st. He used to sell all manner of guns & knives & associated equipment etc.

Who introduced you to Randall Knives? I'd have to say Mick Smith at the gun shop that day.

What was your first Randall Knife/Knives? Well it would be that model 11-4 Mick showed me & I didnt let go of untill I got home.

Where/How did you purchased/acquire your first Randall Knife/Knives? I was in store looking for a solid working pig knife & was tracking down the AITOR range. We were shooting the breeze & Mick asked me what did I do my skinning with. I had a Boker folder for skinning & he showed me a couple RMK model 11's. I bought a plain jane model 11 that suited my hand nicely. I spent about $700 in store that day buying 2 knives. I remember what "got me" with the 11 was the choil depth. I could slip my forefinger over the brass hilt & get extra dexterity with the blade pressuring the top edge gently with my thumb. I use to use the choil like a rocker & palm the handle with pressure alternating between handle & blade.

Regretably back in early 2000 it was stolen along with many other knives. I have never replaced that model 11 - but I will one day when the right one comes along.

As a result of Mick introducing me to Randall skinners I pursued many other models & purchased many for use in military, hunting & pure admiration / collecting since then. I collect only Randalls now after the theft though. I like many knife makers, both factory & custom handmades but stick to randalls purely due to there testament to modern artisan history. Few people could claim to have influenced such history like Bo Randall (& team) did & to which Gary & his team continue to do today.

I'll pop up a few pics of my RMKs when I can access them.

Great thread & I look fwd to reading its entirety.

Cheers

#84741 - 01/10/11 10:12 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: Oldvetnam1]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
Steve,
Great story.
JIM BOWIE ... ya got me smiling ... I remember the TV show!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for posting!
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#84742 - 01/10/11 10:16 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: New2Randalls]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Dan,
Nice story!
Randallholics are we all!
Thanks,
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#84743 - 01/10/11 10:22 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: Skaptch]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Steve (Ausie Steve!!!!)
GREAT Story. I was smilin' along and my heart sank when you mentioned the theft. So sorry.
But I'm glad you kept on going!
Look forward to some pics!
Thanks,
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#84769 - 01/11/11 06:28 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
E8 USMC Ret Offline
Just dropped in

Loc: Concord, North Carolina
I first became aware of Randall Knives after watching the 1976 Clint Eastwood movie "The Enforcer". During the autopsy, the Coroner remarks that the murder was caused by a fighting knife a "Marine Corps bowie or Special Forces Randall". At that point I had to see what a Special Forces Randall was.

Since then, I've owned many and parted with them all if the price was right, big mistake. I've recently purchased many of the Models I've parted with including a new Mod 18 5.5" and a Mod 14 7.5" Attack.

Being a career US Marine, I tend to gravitate to the Military/Survival models offered.

#84770 - 01/11/11 07:08 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: E8 USMC Ret]
Oldvetnam1 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NJ
Welcome Aboard. Glad to have you here and thank you for your service. This is a great place to see a lot of great knives.
RKS #5715
SHAG #006

#84785 - 01/11/11 10:34 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: E8 USMC Ret]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

E8,
Welcome!!
Nice little bit of nostalgia about that Clint Eastwood movie ... I didn't know that!
Got any photos of your knives?
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#84797 - 01/12/11 10:51 AM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: Leatherman]
Guido_Bitossi Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Florence, Italy
WHEN & WHO
I was used to go to Orlando for my businness since early 90'and no idea about RMK. Once a friend of mine, knowing about my frequent visits there, told me:
take this...if you have a chance go to visit the best American knives maker.....
So...I did it !

Attachments
------doc1.jpg

#84799 - 01/12/11 10:59 AM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: Guido_Bitossi]
Guido_Bitossi Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Florence, Italy
WHAT & WHERE
I got my first RMK on 1997 at the Shop.
The counter was pretty loaded of knives.Pete was there too.
I was among some Italians friends and bougth some knives:
I got a 25 and my close frient too; we all got some more.
The fact is that my real first RMK was stolen from my house the following year.That's the worst side of the story.
Here the good side: my close friend was with me at the Shop that day, gift to me is "first" RMK...
This's the true story about my(his) first RMK Mod.25
Pete Hamilton was astonished also as I asked for a Mini 25 as it was some buks more expensive of the "real"one...
The counter was almost full at that time ( Feb.28th 1997 ) with LOOOT of choices....

Attachments
------IMG_4118.jpg

Edited by Guido_Bitossi (01/12/11 11:01 AM)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod