Randall Made Knife Randall Knife Collectors Club
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#84042 - 12/22/10 10:56 AM Re: So, how does parkerizing hold up? [Re: WildBill]
Guido_Bitossi Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Florence, Italy
Here the only two parkerized knives, out from the Shop.

Attachments
------14_18_Parkerized.jpg

#84044 - 12/22/10 11:04 AM Re: So, how does parkerizing hold up? [Re: Guido_Bitossi]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
Why did they only do two?

#84047 - 12/22/10 11:14 AM Re: So, how does parkerizing hold up? [Re: Leatherman]
Guido_Bitossi Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Florence, Italy
Just a test...maybe ?

#84050 - 12/22/10 12:47 PM Re: So, how does parkerizing hold up? [Re: Guido_Bitossi]
Rob_Schoening Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa.
Guido -
Very neat knives!

For all who have been following this thread, I have a Series of knives that is based on the parkerized platform that I will be announcing here at the Forums shortly, watch for the details!

- Rob

#84051 - 12/22/10 01:09 PM Re: So, how does parkerizing hold up? [Re: Guido_Bitossi]
Buck Buchanan Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Fayetteville NC
Rob,

That's great about the Parkerizing solution being reused.

Fifteen years ago or more, it was a "one-shot" bath (dip) and then down the drain.

For many of our customers, we simply (glass) bead blasted the entire knife, which saved time on masking the knife.

The result looked very much like your photos on the handle and hilt, The blade was the same texture but gray color. Of course, the knife had to be resharpened.

I'm very proud that I sold a Model 14 to a MSG in the 7th SFG(A) about 5 years ago who was awarded the Silver Star for action in Iraq. He told me it got down to "hand to hand". In his hand was the model 14. wink

BTW, is that bucket the one I lent to you after the 2010 Blade Show? sick It was a great footstool.

Maybe it wasn't. Can't remember. confused
Buck Buchanan, RKCC #CM-16, RKS #1003
NRA LIFE
NMLRA LIFE
Authorized Randall Dealer
buck100_10x@icloud.com

#84052 - 12/22/10 01:36 PM Re: So, how does parkerizing hold up? [Re: Rob_Schoening]
Doug74 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NE
Originally Posted By: Rob_Schoening

That said, the test was designed more or less mimic normal activites that a military knife might see. Throughout my time in the in the military it seems that most uses my knives saw was cutting MRE packages, boxes of some sort, plastics, rope/cord, and on occassion some wood for a fire.

- Rob

IMHO—Parkerizing is the way to go on a true combat knife. The “spray & bake” finishes work well on firearms….specifically to prevent corrosion and glare, but other than continual holster wear…firearms just won’t be subjected to the kind of regular hard use that a knife will in the field. If you were to subject a “spray & bake” coated knife to the same tests Rob did with his parkerized knife…..I believe you’d see a significant difference in durability. If “spray & bake” is preferred, I would definitely want the base metal sand blasted and parkerized prior to application…..Wilson Combat does this prior to applying their Armor Tuff finish.

Edited by Doug74 (12/22/10 02:18 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Mr_Mod