dominionhobby.com Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 53 of 175 < 1 2 ... 51 52 53 54 55 ... 174 175 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#79489 - 08/15/10 01:01 PM Re: Randall "ordering" questions * [Re: Tanasie]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Rex,
We used to be able to order a dropped tang. I can't speak to that possibilty at present. I will check on it to avoid shop phone calls and let you know. A teardrop shaped handle will most certainly help. I have a green "canvas" micarta Stanaback Special-4" in stock that just happened to come out on my order this week. When I get set up to shoot photos, I'll take a couple and post them up here. Good question, dude!
As for "other" Randall shop-supplied handle material that would help with the "drop"...nothing comes to mind.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#79779 - 08/23/10 07:39 AM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Peter_Kaufman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southeast Utah
I have a knife on order with a rounded single hilt. If I want to change that to a square top hilt, does that count as a change as per the change fee? How far ahead of when knife is due should I contact the shop?

Thanks

Peter
SAF
RKCC CM-023
RKS #5642
SHAG # 005
Ironwood Nut
Life is too short to have ugly knives

#79780 - 08/23/10 08:31 AM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

Rex:
"Dropped" tangs are no longer offered as an option when ordering. The Model #5 has a natural "slight" drop but nothing significant. "Teardrop" shaped handles are limited to certain models and have limitations of their own. For instance: You cannot get finger grips, etc. with a "teardrop". Hope this helps.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#79781 - 08/23/10 08:35 AM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Peter_Kaufman]
Knife Enthusiast

Peter,
The shop will not charge you an order change (normally $35.00) for the hilt change you are asking about..."BUT...(There's that word again) the change has to be made well in advance. If your order is within 90 days of scheduled (or shipping) date it's a "no" all the way around. My suggestion?? If you want it done...The earlier you call the shop, the better. If it is with a dealer...same scenario. Hope this helps.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#80097 - 08/31/10 08:48 AM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
danbrew Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Will the shop accept a Randall from a customer that has already been delivered and etch a name on the blade?
danbrew RKS#5920

#80100 - 08/31/10 09:38 AM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: danbrew]
Knife Enthusiast

Dan,
Yes they will. Certain things are "doable" after the knife is completed and etching is one of them. As with any "repair" (it's considered a repair) the shop will get in touch with you prior to etching and give you a quote. Upon your acceptance they will proceed with the work. Hope this helps.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#80104 - 08/31/10 10:18 AM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Tom_D Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Texas
Chris, wouldn't the number of existing chargeable options on the knife come into play here?
#4-6-6-SS # 001

Every Day is Margarita Day in Texas

Growing Old is NOT for Sissies

#80107 - 08/31/10 10:33 AM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Tom_D]
Knife Enthusiast

No, not in most cases. If the shop sees (thinks) someone is abusing this service they will certainly make the call. Quite often (well...not "quite often"...but often) I will sell a Randall knife, as will the shop, and it is a gift, etc. The person wants it etched or whatever...The service is there because of situations like this. If a customer starts using up 5 options on a knife order and then sends the knife back into the shop for:
Etching
Compass
Wrist thong
Etc.
They will handle it. My advice...and "all of my orders" are for the customer to include whatever they want in the 5 options. I will not exceed that...period.
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: Besides Tom: In the case of this question, the knife could have had less, in fact..."no" options, so I answered the same way the shop would have. Abuses will happened (or be attempted) but I do not think it is a huge problem. If it were the shop would change their policy...CCS
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#80114 - 08/31/10 12:28 PM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Tom_D Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Texas
OK,thanks, I'll take that as another "maybe". grin
#4-6-6-SS # 001

Every Day is Margarita Day in Texas

Growing Old is NOT for Sissies

#80133 - 09/01/10 09:57 AM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
lunde Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: San Jose, CA, USA, Earth
The current charge for dealing with CW handle material is $60, but if a knife's catalog-configuration handle material is Stag, this charge is reduced to $20. (Of course, there are some who cannot fathom the thought of paying to have Stag removed, but that's an entirely different matter. wink )

Does this reduced $20 CW handle charge apply only to knives whose catalog-configuration handle material is Stag? If so, it seems that the #5-4", #8, and #21 definitely fall into this category, and possible the #25, #26 (with #25 Handle) and #27. For Non-Catalog knives, it seems that the #12-9" #14 Grind with #25 Handle, the Denmark Special, GTR Special, #11-3.25", and Cattleman would qualify. The Cattleman is somewhat special in that it has the flat-sided Stag, but it's still Stag.
RKS #5344
SHAG #1
#4-6-6-SS #2
http://lundestudio.com/RandallOrderingFAQ/

Page 53 of 175 < 1 2 ... 51 52 53 54 55 ... 174 175 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod