James Behring Knives Nifeboy.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 50 of 175 < 1 2 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 174 175 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#78139 - 06/27/10 10:53 AM Re: Randall "ordering" questions * [Re: Michael_Mason]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Mike:
To the best of my knowledge this is not an option. Being the weekend I cannot verify this. Consider it a "NO" unless I post otherwise. Good question though, dude!
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: Thanks to the two of you for the "mail"...CCS
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#78141 - 06/27/10 11:21 AM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: JimBetts]
Knife Enthusiast

Jim,
You must be very specific when ordering, but "YES", it is still available. I ordered one last year (I've ordered them since, but last year's is the one to note) in AGM, which I supplied to the shop. Being as I already had one with the "drop point" (DP) I ordered a Model #10-3", STD. Thinking I was fixin' to complete my little "set", I was excited when the order came out. I opened the #10-3" and discovered another "drop point". I called Valerie and she explained to me (Valerie has to explain a "lot" of things to me...I'm what you call a "slow-study") that a Model #10-3", "DP"..."IS STANDARD".
I re-ordered the knife, requesting it as described below:

1 ea. Randall Model #10-3", "Straight Point" blade (not a drop point). I got the knife I wanted. It is pictured below...as a matter of fact, just in the interest of rattling Tomthebomb's chain...pictured is my "set" of AGM Randall Model 10's. Just shot the pics quickly so please excuse the photo. Good luck aquiring the "straight" Model #10-3". Hope this helps.
Best, Capt. Chris

Attachments
------June 27,2010 008.jpg

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (06/27/10 11:23 AM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#78143 - 06/27/10 11:41 AM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
JimBetts Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Capt, Thanks for the reply. Now I know how to order a straighgt point. Tom will enjoy the picture that you sent. I would like to know when the straight point was dropped as the standard and the drop point became standard.
Thanks,
Jim

#78145 - 06/27/10 12:14 PM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: JimBetts]
Knife Enthusiast

I don't think there was an exact date. Sometime in the past several years is about as definite as you are going to get on this one. As much as many of my Randall collecting friends toil to date things...some things cannot be dated that closely. I could probably go back over old invoices and find orders dating one way or the other. A couple of printings back the Randall catalog started including an insert photo of the #10-3", "DP". Let's say about 2002-2004. I have orderd #10-3" since then and not requested the "straight" blade (point) and received them. Things like this make it difficult to "exact" such subtle changes.
Gotta tell ya'...A couple of really good ordering questions today! I hope the answers are nearly as good.
Best, Capt. Chris

Attachments
------June 27,2010 007.jpg

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#78150 - 06/27/10 01:40 PM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Peter_Kaufman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southeast Utah
Capt. Chris and guys

I ordered a model 10 3" in July 2001 and did not know to specify. The invoice says drop point n/c, so I am assuming that the drop point was standard then. It was delivered several months later with the model 9 pro thrower I had ordered at the same time, as non forged knives had shorter delivery times at that point.
I hope this helps

Peter
SAF
RKCC CM-023
RKS #5642
SHAG # 005
Ironwood Nut
Life is too short to have ugly knives

#78180 - 06/28/10 05:15 PM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL.

Hi Capt.,

Thank-You for the reply. Just curious....

Michael Mason
RKS #4382

#78603 - 07/14/10 07:25 PM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Moosehead Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Can either Chris or Scott tell me if a Bowie clip point can still be ordered on a #15 blade?

If so, is it considered a chargeable option?

Thank you in advance!

Cheers!

David

#78605 - 07/14/10 08:12 PM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Moosehead]
Knife Enthusiast

Yes...and both counts.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#78606 - 07/14/10 08:48 PM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Capt,

If, when ordering from you, a customer is supplying thier own handle material ( in this case, wood ) do you trim to ensure it will meet RMKs specifications, if nessasary?

Thanks,
Wally

#78607 - 07/14/10 10:14 PM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Wally]
Knife Enthusiast

Hopefully not Wally. I prefer to use my material. As I have had multiple problems with customer's stuff, I am hesitant to do so. I suggest that they send me the material (already sized) for me to inspect before we write the order. I can get some stuff cut to size but it can get quite pricey!
Here's an example. Call Gene Beal and ask him how much time and money "we" have in the Lignum Vitae cutting episodes for my 25th Anniversary "Stanaback Specials" and "Cracker" Model #8's. We burned up to ban saw blades (at $65.00 each) and have cut halfway through "one" piece of wood! A total of about 2 1/2" so far. We now have a $175.00 (cost) carbide blade ordered and..."no wood cut and sized yet"!
I buy nice, hard-to-find exocitc wood to sell on Randall knives. I don't buy it to resell the handle material alone. Customer's usually are not ready / willing to pay the freight for cutting the stuff...and, of course, the Randall's shop ($65...or whatever) charges to install it.
Short answer: Call me "before" you place the order...Hope this helps.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

Page 50 of 175 < 1 2 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 174 175 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod