dominionhobby.com
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43778 - 09/20/08 06:16 PM Re: Hello to All [Re: James_Todd]
johnbarth Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: midwest
You give it another try. You'll git'er. I need some eye candy.

#43779 - 09/26/08 10:59 AM Re: Hello to All [Re: James_Todd]
Topos Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Jim, welcome to this den of knife denizens.

"Hello All, I am a knifeaholic, the beast has had me in its grips for 42 years of collecting. I have been sober and not bought a knife in 24 hours. But the urge is still there."

Our drive, I hold, is built into the male testosterone laden brain ... the response to shiny metal, the flow of design, the heft of the steel, etc. Each knife we obtain triggers an atavistic endorphin high ... for me a similar feeling to seeing the perfect sunset over a mauve & black sunset in a harbor, almost seeing the face of GOD. One's hand automatically forms around the grip of the perfect knife even before we handle it. For me I was once give an PUMA knife that was reminiscent to the Randall Sasquatch and my hand recoiled at the rectangular 'fiber board looking' grip, the excessive shininess, etc.

For example, from the first time I held an .45 Colt [ toy replica] at 5 years old in 1943 my hand said this was for me. My Lugers, Broom Handles [ with Holster/Stock maybe], Browning Hi-Powers, Magnums,etc. were 'unnatural'. Much as how we are hard wired for the particular woman we flip over. It was 'love at first grip' [ no wise cracks, Tom! ] when I held my first matched #1 & #2 8" Randalls with commando handles in 1960.

The WOW moment. I said a thanks to James Jones for his 1950's books and picture of him on back cover in a stance with the Randalls that lead me to explore this knife maker Bo Randall. The feelings of romance, adventure, invincibility, shiny steel -- 'I WILL sell you Manhattan Island for that Randall' washing over you. I am not sure I have ever heard of too many women who like to forge, shape, polish, shine, etc. steel/metal.

I posit that it has at its core our proto ancestors reactions to the shimmering lights of the tidal pools. [For my Creationist brethren GOD blessed us with the ability to admire his works at all levels ... but that is a discussion for another day ... and another paper].

The above blather is by way of saying you are among friends. Glad to have you join us here.

Best wishes.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  John_Hanlon, John_Nugent, kdhampton