Miles Swelze Stanback Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42004 - 05/18/08 06:52 AM Knife Model Of The Week GTR Special!!!!!! **
JesseEgnew Offline
Knife Enthusiast

3 1/2” blade of 3/16 stainless. Brass hilt. Approx. 4” stag handle. Suitable for small hunting and fishing needs. Supplied with Model B sheath. (Wt. 4 oz.)
Lades and Gentlemen lets see all of those GTR Specials!!!!!

#42005 - 05/18/08 08:46 PM Re: Knife Model Of The Week GTR Special!!!!!! [Re: JesseEgnew]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
That's sort of a textbook explanation of this splendid little knife. I do not know exactly "where" (what safe place, etc.) my "GTR" is stored in, but I'll try and find it. I have used a "GTR" for a total field dress of a 200 # Mulie! It did a great job. I was carrying the "GTR" when the deed was done. I had brought 2 other Randall knives to New Mexico (Cloud Croft) with me, but the "GTR" was on my side when it was time to get with it!
For everyday carry as well as all of the above-referenced chores, ya' can't go wrong with this one! Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#42006 - 05/18/08 10:05 PM Re: Knife Model Of The Week GTR Special!!!!!! [Re: JesseEgnew]
silverknife Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Think Snow
Jesse, thanks for keeping this great thread going.

Of the smaller Randalls the GTR is definately my favorite. This plain elephant ivory handled GTR is a user and shortly I intend to have it checkered to be even more utilitarian, but plain ivory handled knives have been used for many years and have always been considered a very useful as well as wonderfully attractive and pleasently tactile material.

Chief Joseph, Chief of the Nes Pierce was done by French Canadian scrimshander Gatean Beauchamp, a talented artist and custom knifemaker who resides in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The engraving was done by Ron Skaggs in pure silver hardware from my shop. This was one of the very earliest silver hardwared knives done as is shown by the very thick spacers which, in the old days I used to hand shape and sand from 1 ozt planchets. If you run accross any Randalls and can't quite figure out why the spacers are so thick, you have a Randall with very early hand made silver fittings. The ivory is mammoth ivory which is a bit unusual since most of the time it peels its layers off like an onion and is not often used as handle material other than as scales on full tang knives.

The full color horned owl on this GTR was scrimshawed by our own Rick Bowles. One of the earliest Bowles scrimshawed knives in my collection and done for me in the early 90's.

Sorry about the closeup of the scrimshaw being a bit overexposed. I really should spend some money for a good digital camera or use more outdoor natural lighting for my pictures but we don't see the sun all that much in this part of the world.

The striper on this GTR was also done by the best of the best: Rick Bowles on a piece of fossil walrus. Unusual in that it grew a short crack near the hilt after the knife was made, although to me that in no way dimishes the very fine esthetic appeal of the knife.

All images copyright © 2008. All rights reserved.

Regards, Doug
RKS#1835
silverknife1@aol.com
NRA Life Member

#42007 - 05/19/08 06:44 AM Re: Knife Model Of The Week GTR Special!!!!!! [Re: JesseEgnew]
vklough46 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Boogie Wonderland
Great threads Jesse!!!!!!!! Thanks for taking the time on this every week.

Kevin

BSC-002

#42008 - 05/19/08 09:25 AM Re: Knife Model Of The Week GTR Special!!!!!! [Re: vklough46]
sterusmall Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lakeland, FL
Quote:

Great threads Jesse!!!!!!!! Thanks for taking the time on this every week.

Kevin

SAME HERE, THANKS!
RKS #5224
NRA Life Member

#42009 - 05/19/08 10:20 AM Re: Knife Model Of The Week GTR Special!!!!!! [Re: sterusmall]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
I have no GTR (YET!)
But that's why this thread is so great!
THANKS JESSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#42010 - 05/19/08 11:00 AM Re: Knife Model Of The Week GTR Special!!!!!! [Re: JesseEgnew]
Darren_Penrod Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Yukon, OKlahoma
I would post a pic of mine but I guess I`m too stupid to figure it out. I do however have a few questions for those in the know... What is the background of the knife? How long has it been available? Why only available in SS. You don`t see many around for sale. Are these not very popular or are the so popular that everyone keeps them and uses them?

Doug, as always beautiful knives.

I`ll ask my six year old to help me tonight and maybe I`ll get some pics sent soon. Darren

#42011 - 05/19/08 12:04 PM Re: Knife Model Of The Week GTR Special!!!!!! [Re: Darren_Penrod]
silverknife Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Think Snow
Darren, If you email your pictures to me at silverknife1@aol.com I will post them for you. Your six year old can probably explain how to do it better than I can but if you want, send me your phone number by PM and I will try to walk you though it. It's really not that hard.

The knife was designed by GTR (Gary T. Randall). Why are there are not too many for sale? My guess would be that once you get one and either use it or just look at it you don't want to give it up.

Why available only in stainless? That's an easy one, and as a father of a six year old you have heard this one before, or even used it. BECAUSE !

Thanks for the compliments on the knives. OF course the kudos belong to GTR for designing it, the artisans in the shop who build them, and of course the gifted scrimsahnders and engravers who embellish them.

Regards, Doug
RKS#1835
silverknife1@aol.com
NRA Life Member

#42012 - 05/19/08 01:21 PM Re: Knife Model Of The Week GTR Special!!!!!! [Re: sterusmall]
Rick_Bowles Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
This image compares the GTR with the model #26 Pathfinder for those who have not seen one. Both are very early examples of their respective models and they're dressed up pretty good too! My scrimshaw and Leschorn carving (engraving). Sorry for the poor image.

Attachments
39704-26vsGTR.jpg (699 downloads)

Rick Bowles RKS #012
www.RBscrim.com
N.K.C.A.
NRA Endowment

#42013 - 05/19/08 04:14 PM Re: Knife Model Of The Week GTR Special!!!!!! [Re: Rick_Bowles]
HENTHORNJR Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: MARIETTA,OHIO
Here is the one I have.

Attachments
39708-P1010026(WinCE).JPG (722 downloads)

Edited by HENTHORNJR (05/19/08 04:15 PM)
RICK HENTHORN RKS#5643

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod