dominionhobby.com Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#181795 - 07/25/19 12:22 PM Re: Knife Model Of The Week Fireman Special!!!!!!!! ** [Re: escapement]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Jim cut and slotted many types of handle material. Perry, myself and "others" would buy it from Jim and submit it on #14 room orders. "Almost Always" there were no issues. Occasionally it would not measure and would be rejected "but" white and other phenolics were made without anything remarkable noted.
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#181797 - 07/25/19 01:01 PM Re: Knife Model Of The Week Fireman Special!!!!!!!! [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
escapement Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Virginia
Here's a tang side view as promised (of both the Fireman and the #14).

Thanks, Gary

(And thanks again, Capt., for the excellent information. Now, it's all coming together).

Attachments
------20190725_124002.jpg

Edited by escapement (07/25/19 01:03 PM)

#181798 - 07/25/19 01:14 PM Re: Knife Model Of The Week Fireman Special!!!!!!!! [Re: escapement]
Knife Enthusiast

That #14 looks like a #16-7", Divers, with sawteeth and a heavy double hilt! How long is the blade and how "wide".
You're welcome, BTW,
Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#181805 - 07/25/19 03:35 PM Re: Knife Model Of The Week Fireman Special!!!!!!!! [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
Treeman stuff was generally(if I remember correctly) marked with some type of coloring at the edge...I got what little they had remaining(as I recall) wasn't much, and these are what's left....I could be off, it has been a while...I do not know how the Treeman material would have gotten to the shop without some assistance....I do not think that Randall would be buying from Treeman....BUT....
Nice knife!!!
:-)Rocky

Attachments
------DSC02240.JPG

RKCC#25

#181806 - 07/25/19 03:44 PM Re: Knife Model Of The Week Fireman Special!!!!!!!! [Re: thevalueman]
Knife Enthusiast

Rocky,
Randall did not buy any, to the best of my knowledge. In my case, like you, I bought it directly from Jim and entered it in on my scheduled orders. I think Duke McCaa, Greg Gutcher and a couple of other dealers did as well....&...of course, the Randall customers who, individually, purchased it and submitted it to the shop to have their knives made.
I think it became a hassle for Jim and he sold off the pieces he had slotted to his customers. To me, he sold me (maybe) a dozen slotted pieces but shipped me a "half sheet" that had "not" been cut or slotted!
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (07/25/19 03:45 PM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#181807 - 07/25/19 04:45 PM Re: Knife Model Of The Week Fireman Special!!!!!!!! [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
escapement Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Capt., PM sent. I didn't know if you wanted me cluttering up this thread too much.

Thanks again, Gary

#181808 - 07/25/19 05:23 PM Re: Knife Model Of The Week Fireman Special!!!!!!!! [Re: escapement]
escapement Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Sent this PM to Capt. and he informs me I have #16!
I’m 99.9% sure the knife came to me from Perry, but it looks like he might have gotten some knives (and sheaths) mixed up – I guess it can happen to even the best of em!
(Capt. said to go ahead and post here).

PM TO CAPT.:

Man, you have a good eye! Damn.

Hmm… It was sold to me as a #14 - 7 ½ Attack. (Perry or Treeman).

BUT… it *does* have a slightly shorter blade and a narrow blade.

The blade is 7 ¼ inches long, just over 1 ¼ “ wide at widest (and 1 1/8” at hilt) and exactly ¼” thick.

Maybe that’s why I always thought my #14 CDT was so massive. That blade is (without the sawteeth) 1 ½” wide and 7 ½” long, and just under ¼” thick.

My #18 by comparison (with the same blade profile/ grind lines) is 1 3/8” wide and 7 ½” long and just under ¼” thick.

So, the blade on the “#14 Attack” is shorter and significantly narrower than the #14 CDT. And shorter and slightly narrower than the #18. But a bit thicker than both.

After receiving the #14 CDT (direct from Randall) I always thought the #14 Attack had a narrower blade because of the sawteeth. I don’t have any other #14s to compare to. Have I been wrong all this time? Is this blade normally, even with sawteeth, closer to 1 ½” wide on a #14 Attack?

Did I just get a slightly narrower #14 Attack? Or did Perry or Jim miss it too? (It was def. one of those two).

But it’s crazy how good your eye is, what you see. I guess that comes with having seen so very very many Randall knives. Scary good eye.

I can take more pictures if you want and start a new thread.

But as ever, thanks for your assessment, Gary

I never knew I had a Model 16. And now I know why my #14 CDT looks so massive to me. The education never ends.

Thanks again, to Capt. Chris.

Gary

#181816 - 07/25/19 08:41 PM Re: Knife Model Of The Week Fireman Special!!!!!!!! [Re: escapement]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Jumping in...and maybe off base, but if the knives in question came with the shop's wrap still on them, they should be "documented" by what is written on the butcher's paper.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#181817 - 07/25/19 08:43 PM Re: Knife Model Of The Week Fireman Special!!!!!!!! [Re: LarryWW1246]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
"CW"

#181819 - 07/25/19 09:24 PM Re: Knife Model Of The Week Fireman Special!!!!!!!! [Re: LarryWW1246]
escapement Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: LarryWW1246
Jumping in...and maybe off base, but if the knives in question came with the shop's wrap still on them, they should be "documented" by what is written on the butcher's paper.

Larry

About 1/3 of my paperwork is missing; after we moved I still can't find it. Had it in two accordion folders and one folder is missing.

But when I purchased a knife from Perry (e.g., from his website), it didn't always come with the shop paper. It was always in a USPS Priority box. But he did send detailed receipts. Only, I'm missing some - and those for these two knives.

Would that it were so easy. Not in this case.

Gary

EDIT: But I do have a tub with shop paper at the bottom. I tried to keep everything (but lost some stuff). I'll go through it tomorrow. Who knows, I might get lucky.

Edited by escapement (07/25/19 11:23 PM)

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod