Clinton Knives Stanback Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#39439 - 04/02/08 12:59 PM Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE [Re: BoBlade]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
You're wright, Ron....You could be wrong.
Best, Capt. Chris
P.S. I could be wrong too, dude! CCS
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#39440 - 04/02/08 01:25 PM Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
Capt,
I did like the info, thank you very much!! I think you and Tom were dead on the $!! After intense interrogation...the old man(dad) admitted that he "may" have traded for it..there goes the history. More that likely, it has been altered, however I will still hold on to a thread of hope.
The info you guys give may not fit my ideas, and hopes, however it is greatly appricated!! No one likes to hear "the knife is altered". Everybody wants to have the "find" of the week!!
Thanks guys.......still no answer on the "SCOUT" thing, even from him.
:-)R
RKCC#25

#39441 - 04/02/08 02:49 PM Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Don_Hedrick Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Capt. do you think it could possibly be an altered #11? Don

#39442 - 04/02/08 04:08 PM Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Deep East Texas
At any given time anyone browsing the forum will have more knowledge of Randall Made Knives than I. It is just my opinion that neither Bo or Gary would let that go outside of the shop if it was indeed created there.
RKS #4868

#39443 - 04/02/08 09:04 PM Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE [Re: Don_Hedrick]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Don,
That is exactly what it looks like. If you view the "old ones" you will see the exagerated blade, as compared to the "current" ones.
Ron (Boblade) is correct in the fact that it is, indeed, easier to have the knife in hand. That seldom happens and I seldom post up on this forum with my "opinion". There has to be fairly evident "hints' for me to do so. I am sure someone in this forum's "regulars" has an old one to post. If not, look in Gaddis' book. If someone wanted a "clip" point made out of a "drop" point...this is what they would get..along with a few too many thumb notches!!
Anyway: All's well that ends well. I will quietly slip away and try to keep my "opinions" to a minumum. Thanks to all for the (PM) and quiet support. Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#39444 - 04/02/08 09:41 PM Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kalifornia
Cap / Don,

You can't get much earlier than this one. Seems to me the spine comes off the hilt at too much of an angle on Rocky's knife to have been made from an old 11 grind. Anyway, we'll hopefully know more after Blade.

Best,

#39445 - 04/07/08 01:45 AM Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE [Re: silverknife]
johng Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Dear Doug,

A 14 with sawteeth looks to me to be identical to a Model 18 with sawteeth (except for the handle, of course). I would have expected the 14 blade to maintain more of its fundamental shape even with sawteeth. Can you explain the difference in the two blade shapes?

Regards, John
Regards, John RKS #091 "If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall over...."

#39446 - 04/07/08 07:11 AM Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE [Re: johng]
silverknife Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Think Snow
John, There is no difference which I can see between the #18 and the #14 with teeth.

I don't know for sure why the #14 has the spear point when teeth are added, but I will take a stab (so to speak) at it.

Look at the spine of the blade on a model 14 between the hilt and the top bevel. There is only appx. 3" from the hilt to where the top bevel begins. Now remember that the teeth are the last operation before the knife is final polished, honed, and packed for shipping.

The teeth are ground into the blade, free hand, with a thin grinding wheel. I do not know the diameter of the wheel but I would guess at 6", but even if it is a 3" wheel there must be clearence between the hilt and the grinding wheel when the teeth are ground at an angle, so you can't start the teeth close to the hilt. You also can't grind into the trademark. The teeth have to begin forward of the trademark, which would leave less than 1" between the trademark and the start of the front bevel. You want a sharpened top bevel in a fighting knife.

The Model #15 grind is identical to the 14, just shorter. It also has a spear point when teeth are ground into the front portion of the blade, about 2".

If you put the teeth into the front of the #14, no sharpened top bevel...so the knife is given the spear point grind of the #18 to allow retaining the sharpened top bevel.

As I said, I don't know that that is the reason for the grind when saw teeth are put into the #14 but it makes sense to me.

Regards, Doug
RKS#1835
silverknife1@aol.com
NRA Life Member

#39447 - 04/08/08 03:39 AM Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE [Re: silverknife]
johng Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Dear Doug,

Thanks for the insight. Teeth or no teeth, it's still a great looking knife.

Thanks again. --John
Regards, John RKS #091 "If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall over...."

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Mr_Mod