Nifeboy.com Randall Knife Collectors Club
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149690 - 09/11/16 12:23 AM Re: S30V ** [Re: Windsor]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Absolute truth that steel brand name does not a good knife make, but the heat treat. My Bagwell is made of plain steel and iron, but will outperform anything I own in toughness, and would have been the best in edge holding had I gone with straight steel rather than Damascus, rather than "among the best". His thermal cycles and drawdown are what make the blade.

Bob Dozier built his rep not on a super steel, but, in educating owners what his knives were for, and not for, and in heat treat accurate generally to tenths of a point, with max variance at 0.5 of an Rc point. If a blade is marketed with a 2 pt spread, no telling what you will get. With Bob and stepson Dan, you know exactly what you are getting, the metal done precisely as the steel maker says to do. They also do test knives from each variable batch and reject use of steels that do not respond properly to the heat treat.

#149692 - 09/11/16 04:54 AM Re: S30V [Re: Lofty]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
Rob,

Buck warranty works fine smile

Interesting coincidence, I use the same stone,
only a different size - 6" grin

Attachments
------webcam-toy-photo10 (2).jpg

------webcam-toy-photo11 (2).jpg

------webcam-toy-photo12.jpg

#149698 - 09/11/16 11:40 AM Re: S30V [Re: desert.snake]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
I no longer have the box, I keep it wrapped in an old US Army towel these days when not in use.

Mine looks similar, but the "fine" side is only about 1/3rd the thickness instead of an even 50:50 split.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  John_Hanlon, John_Nugent, kdhampton