Stanback Knives Nifeboy.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 11 of 37 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 36 37 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#29183 - 04/18/09 10:55 PM Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! * [Re: Burnie]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
O.K....I can do that...Here goes...For those of you that don't know the story, I wrote it up for the RKS and presented the very first of these critters at the RKS meeting at the "Blade" show last year. They were sold through Perry Miller (Spaceport Curlery) and have long since been sold out. The final serial numbers are due out in October of this year. Of course, the Randall shop is running a few months behind, so the final shipments probably won't go out from Perry until the first month of 2010. Still: All and all, a pretty quick turn around for quite a collectable Randall blade shape and style.
Best, Capt. Chris

Attachments
58993-GLADESHUNTERS(#1)(Small).JPG (679 downloads)

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (04/18/09 10:56 PM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#29184 - 04/18/09 11:08 PM Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Warren_Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Westhampton, NY
Captain & Perry,

This is just a suggestion. Though the Glades Hunters by pedigree are Model 4's, may I ask that the moderators or whom ever is responsible, create a "Glades Hunter" Knife Of The Week. This knife by virtue of its special build belongs in its own thread. I think we will enjoy seeing all the Glades Hunters in their own glory.
Please speak if you disagree.

Best,
Warren

Edited by Warren_Polidori (04/18/09 11:32 PM)

#29185 - 06/07/09 06:13 PM Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! [Re: vklough46]
Warren_Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I purchased this knife at this years Blade Show in Atlanta. This one came from Rick Ward's drawing on Friday afternoon. I don't know how many were dressed out like this one but this is very well done. The no finger guard option along with the fluted hilt and brass fluted coolie cap are very appealing. This knife is very well balanced and will make an excellent skinning knife. If I ever decide to part ways with it, Burnie has first rights of refusal. We both had eyes on it, but my name got called before his did. We laughed about it afterwards!

Best,
Warren

Attachments
62008-Model4-5Stag(Medium).jpg (586 downloads)

Edited by Warren_Polidori (06/07/09 06:14 PM)

#29186 - 06/07/09 06:31 PM Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! [Re: Warren_Polidori]
Knife Enthusiast

Warren,
Actually it is "not" a fluted hilt. It is a "RDH" (reduced brass hilt) and an "SC" (scalloped brass collar). Both of these options are still available, although fairly unusual and not many were done on a #4-4 1/2" (or is it a #4-5"?). It is a way-cool knife, but can be duplicated. Don't worry, Burnie. You need to know this can be done, because I don't foresee Warren cuttin' loose of it anytime soon!
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#29187 - 06/07/09 06:47 PM Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Warren_Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Captain,

It is in fact a 4-5 and again thanks for the correction. You are right I haven't seen many done like this with these options.

Best,
Warren

#29188 - 06/07/09 06:55 PM Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! [Re: Warren_Polidori]
Knife Enthusiast

I've never seen it on a #4-5". I have put this together on an "old-style" #8 before. That was cute. Your's looked like a #4-4 1/2" to me because of the handle size. It appeared to be too small of a diameter for the 1/4" stock version. I wish you had shown me that one at the show. I bet it handles extremely well!
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#29189 - 07/13/09 09:57 PM Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! [Re: vklough46]
lunde Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: San Jose, CA, USA, Earth
My dad's #4-6" with the following five options: stainless steel blade, #6 grind, nickel silver hilt, stag handle, and wrist thong:

RKS #5344
SHAG #1
#4-6-6-SS #2
http://lundestudio.com/RandallOrderingFAQ/

#29190 - 07/13/09 10:08 PM Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! [Re: lunde]
Warren_Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Ken,

Am I missing something here. I thought the Glades Hunter is the only 4-6 ever offered in Stainless with the #6 Grind. This to me looks like a non-Glades, Glades Hunter. Obviously several different options, but the blade is the same. The 4-6 in carbon has always been available with the #6 grind, but the Glades was the first in Stainless.

Best,
Warren

Edited by Warren_Polidori (07/13/09 10:43 PM)

#29191 - 07/13/09 10:19 PM Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! [Re: Warren_Polidori]
lunde Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: San Jose, CA, USA, Earth
Apparently, the shop is now accepting orders for #4-6" knives with stainless steel blades and #6 grinds. This is evidenced by the fact that my dad placed the order with Nordic Knives late Summer or early Fall of last year, and received the knife in March or April of this year.

When I inquired with the shop about the #6 Grind with stainless steel blade, on his behalf, I was unaware of what was supposedly the policy, and while waiting for a reply I found out what the policy supposedly was. I told my dad about this, and he told me that he'd choose the stainless steel blade over the #6 Grind. I was quite shocked to learn that this could be ordered. In fact, I had to confirm that this was true. And, to make things clear, I did not request nor demand this to be done, but merely asked whether it was possible.

My educated guess is that the shop acquired the necessary expertise to do this on a more regular basis as a result of crafting the one-hundred Glades Hunters.

Obviously, there is much more to the Glades Hunter than the #6 Grind with a stainless steel blade.
RKS #5344
SHAG #1
#4-6-6-SS #2
http://lundestudio.com/RandallOrderingFAQ/

#29192 - 07/13/09 11:54 PM Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! [Re: Warren_Polidori]
Knife Enthusiast

Warren,
The
Glades Hunter" was the "first" offering of it's kind. Neither Perry, nor myself, ever suggested that it would be the "only" offering...Indeed the precedent for "follow-up" blades is long in the Randall shop's history.
Looking to the "not-so-distant" past: The RKS "First" club knife became the "Combat Companion". The RKS second club knife became the "Denmark Special". (Actually: It was The Denmark before and after the club knife). Again with the RKS third club knife The "Trailblazer" was born!
All of these models became catalog or non-catalog offerings. I don't anticipate the Glades Hunter pattern to follow along those line...but it may? All 3 RKS club knives will bring a very stout premium over the more "current" version...and they did not have near the whistles and bells of the "Glades Hunter"! They were also produced on a much more massive scale then the serial numbered 100 being offered on the "Glades Hunters".
Hope this help explain things a bit anyway...
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

Page 11 of 37 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 36 37 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod