Clinton Knives Stanback Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 9 of 170 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 169 170 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#25752 - 09/30/07 03:28 PM Re: This Old Randall * [Re: BoBlade]
boardrider Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Malibu CA, USA

Is the handle pinned ivory in your opinion? It sure looks like it but how often do you see this vintage of ivory that crack/check free, it usually cracks at the pin at least usually more. Also what do you think of the shape of the handle? The blade looks right to me but no trademark?
All in all more questions than answers. The kids in my neighborhood would call this "one Killer knife" pun intended.

Griff Snyder
RKS #63
G Snyder RKS #63
RKCC

"REMEMBER, YOU CAN NEVER GO WRONG BY COLLECTING OR OWNING THE BEST"

http://www.knife-collectibles.com

#25753 - 09/30/07 04:51 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: boardrider]
BigJim Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Ron,
A wild guess.
Could the knife have been ordered from the shop"sterile"?
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

#25754 - 09/30/07 05:50 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: BigJim]
boardrider Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Big Jim, good question Has Randall ever make sterile knives? Certainly many other manufacturers have, for SOG, CIA and OSS etc.
Griff
RKS #63
G Snyder RKS #63
RKCC

#25755 - 09/30/07 06:21 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: boardrider]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kalifornia
Quote:

Is the handle pinned ivory in your opinion? It sure looks like it but how often do you see this vintage of ivory that crack/check free, it usually cracks at the pin at least usually more. Also what do you think of the shape of the handle? The blade looks right to me but no trademark?
All in all more questions than answers. The kids in my neighborhood would call this "one Killer knife" pun intended.

Griff Snyder
RKS #63

Hi Griff,

IMO the knife was made by the shop and the handle is the shop's old Belgium Congo ivory. I've seen a few ivory handles that old in similar condition as well as that shape.

Quote:

Ron,
A wild guess.
Could the knife have been ordered from the shop"sterile"?
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

Jim,

I think that's as good a guess as they come. There were kit knives back in the early / mid 50's that were not marked kit and there must have been a few blades that got out the back door, but these were still likely stamped with the trademark given the early stage this step is done. Prior to the Dec '53 True magazine article Bo was hurting for business and I wouldn't be surprised if he accepted an order for a sterile knife. Again, ALL speculation!

#25756 - 09/30/07 06:39 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: BoBlade]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I was gonna post this a bit ago prior to Ron's but I think it applies from what I know.

This could be an early "backdoor" knife, built perhaps by/for an employee? Maybe it was a project knife of an employee with permission from Bo. Maybe it was made for a "spook" during the Viet Nam war. I could come up with allot of maybes. Really hard to say. I don't think it a "kit" knife as it would/should have the RMK logo stamp.

The blade is a later blade grind, as early as the mid 60's, but that is where it ends. From the hilt back, it is in appearance at least, as early as the 50's and even late 40's in some respects. The blade will carry the day though for dating purposes.

All we can go on though is as it stands from memory of past employees, shop records, and Randall family members, is that every authorized blade to come out of the RMK shop since sometime mid/late 1939 should have had a logo stamp.

This one does appear to be an exception. Definitely an interesting study.

#25757 - 09/30/07 06:49 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: crutchtip]
boardrider Offline
Knife Enthusiast

So then the conclusion is that this knife is for sure a Randall as confirmed by two of the most knoledgeable here?

WOW!

Griff Snyder
G Snyder RKS #63
RKCC

#25758 - 09/30/07 07:53 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: boardrider]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I should have added Griff, that is IF it is a Randall blade. I don't know that it is. Without a hands on examination, it would be hard to make an honest determination. You have to remember, there were/are many talented knife makers out there.

#25759 - 09/30/07 08:32 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: crutchtip]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kalifornia
Joe,

I see what you mean about the blade grind: Early 50's would have deeper choils. Too bad we'll probably never know the story behind this one.

#25760 - 10/01/07 09:58 AM Re: This Old Randall [Re: BoBlade]
Sheldon_Wickersham Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Montana

#25761 - 10/01/07 12:40 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: BoBlade]
BigJim Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Here's a nice old #1-6.Hope you enjoy.Great knives posted so far.Thanks for keeping it going.
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

Attachments
25564-IMG_08141-6-2.jpg (428 downloads)

Edited by BigJim (10/01/07 12:47 PM)

Page 9 of 170 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 169 170 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod