Stanback Knives Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 151 of 170 < 1 2 ... 149 150 151 152 153 ... 169 170 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#164206 - 09/01/17 01:42 PM Re: This Old Randall * [Re: tunefink]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Looks like the leather has the abbreviation "LT" along with the,service number and "USNR".

#164415 - 09/09/17 06:06 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: Wally]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Bambalam
This is an interesting knife. It has a few odd things about it.

It's a 1964-ish Model #16 Diver with a Low S stamp.

The sheath is a pancake style which was common on the 16, but it has a stone pouch which is not common.

It has a tenite handle, but what makes that odd is that Low S knives were usually considered past the tenite handle period.

The tenite is secured using the single screw, filled hole method, usually seen on brown and black micarta.... very unusual.

Last is the etching on the back of the blade. There is the owner's name, but also the blade has been etched as a ruler. You can see the numbers 1 thru 6 from the tip to the hilt. Of course the hilt is 7"

Joe Dorsky and I discussed it and he recalled some guys that were abalone divers using these and using the ruler to size the catch in some way.

All in all a pretty cool knife.

#164418 - 09/09/17 06:55 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: tunefink]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
Interesting ramifications to measuring legal length of Abalone. In California, you can get a ticket for using a gauge longer than 7"

"Abalone divers are required to “… carry a fixed-caliper measuring gauge capable of accurately measuring seven inches” (California Code of Regulations Title 14, section 29.15[f]) and are required to retain any legal-sized abalone they detach and add them to their bag (CCR Title 14, section 29.15[d].) It is fine to use a gauge larger than the required 7-inch gauge to measure over-sized abalone when trophy hunting. The problem occurs when a diver detaches and brings an abalone to the surface, measures it with only a 9-inch gauge, and then rejects it for being smaller than their personal target size even though the abalone may still be of the minimum legal size (seven inches or larger). This practice puts the diver in violation of the above sections and this practice is considered “high-grading.”

To avoid this kind of ticket, divers should not return any abalone before first measuring with a 7-inch gauge to be sure they are smaller than legal size. A 7-inch gauge should be in the immediate vicinity of where the diver surfaces (in hand, float tube or kayak) so that the abalone can be readily measured, and if they then turn out to be short, the diver can then return it to the same location where originally taken. The violation occurs when divers detach and then reject legal-sized abalone because they are seeking only the oversized ones."
Molon Labe

#164419 - 09/09/17 07:19 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: BladesNBarrels]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Huh..... how about that. Learn something every day. I wonder if the rules were similar in 1964?

#164421 - 09/09/17 09:29 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: tunefink]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
not a lot of these out there...mine has no markings but made 1964-1966....s/s blade and no markings of that as well, which was typical in this time zone...as I understand...BUT I'm not the expert!!
A low S...very interesting!!
All are wonderful...actually these are 2 that I had to sell for my father, and his friend...I could not find, off hand, a photo of mine...
:-)Rocky

Attachments
------DSCN0473.JPG

------DSCN1214.JPG

RKCC#25

#164422 - 09/09/17 09:45 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: thevalueman]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Great pics Rocky. I am assuming those are both pre-S knives.

#164427 - 09/10/17 09:08 AM Re: This Old Randall [Re: tunefink]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Mitchel,
I lack that knowledge, but I would assume so. It is my understanding that #16's were not always marked with an "S"....and no choil...what's up with that??
had to take new photo's of mine...and before I get a keyboard lashing....I know, I should not have sent it to the shop for cleaning...I was young, and dumb....now I old and dumb, but know better!!

Attachments
------DSC01310.JPG

------DSC01311.JPG

RKCC#25

#164430 - 09/10/17 11:10 AM Re: This Old Randall [Re: tunefink]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: tunefink
Great pics Rocky. I am assuming those are both pre-S knives.

It appears the knife in the second photo with no choil is carbon looking at the spotting on the tang. Divers were available in carbon in the beginning. I would venture to say they are uncommon.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#164441 - 09/10/17 04:26 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: crutchtip]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The top one of photo is my dad's...the other one is from that collection. I'm not sure carbon or not, but that would a little on the unusual side...
here is the 15 that was next to it...they all had that blade "color", so I don't know the 15 was not SS. Also, it was a smoking house....she still does...right there in the living room...It's her house, so, I guess she can do as she wants...she's only 80 or so...

Attachments
------DSCN0344.JPG

RKCC#25

#164473 - 09/11/17 01:22 AM Re: This Old Randall [Re: thevalueman]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Rocky that looks more like a 14 than a 15.....to me.
All extremely nice knives. I'm one of those who as far as I'm concerned would pay more for a shop cleaned knife than one in funky condition.
RKS#2166

Page 151 of 170 < 1 2 ... 149 150 151 152 153 ... 169 170 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod