Clinton Knives Nifeboy.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#22127 - 07/29/07 11:43 AM Preserving the leather in the sheath
505Gibbs Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Suburban Deeeetroit
This may have been addressed some time in the past so forgive me if its redundant BUT other than the waxed sheath how do you preserve the brown or black leather sheaths?
Do nothing if they're kept dry, or, use Renaissance wax or??
Appreciates the 'wisdom' or the 'experienced' owners.
Thanks!!
RKCC# CM-068

#22128 - 07/29/07 01:38 PM Re: Preserving the leather in the sheath [Re: 505Gibbs]
7033grip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Winter Haven, Florida
Back in the "old days", a gentleman would never have worn a pair of shoes till he had first used Kiwi on them. This protected them from scuffing, but also helped preserve the leather.

In the military, we used Kiwi for spit-shining our cordovans, but first we would burn off the alcohol in the polish.

I personally, would use Ren wax on any new sheath, especially if it's going to be a user. Any good shoe shop has other excellent leather preservatives for sale.

Dubie Baxter
RKS #5099

#22129 - 07/29/07 02:10 PM Re: Preserving the leather in the sheath [Re: 505Gibbs]
BigJim Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Hi Mike,
I use Blackrock Leather "N" Rich on my sheaths.It is a great product for new or old sheaths.Easy to use & great results.You can find it on the internet,some saddle & leather shops or from RMK Dealer Tom Clinton.
Hope this helps.
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

#22130 - 07/29/07 02:57 PM Re: Preserving the leather in the sheath [Re: BigJim]
505Gibbs Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Suburban Deeeetroit
Jim & Dubie - thanks for your initial inputs! I'll refine the question a bit. What if the knife/sheath is meant as a collectable with no intentions of exposure to the 'elements' other than storage in a somewhat controlled environment i.e. air conditioned with not a huge swing in tempeature during the 'seasons'? Would you do anything different?
thanks again to all
RKCC# CM-068

#22131 - 07/29/07 04:59 PM Re: Preserving the leather in the sheath [Re: 505Gibbs]
BigJim Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Mike,
I use the Blackrock,but 99% of my sheaths are JRB & older.
They're kept the same as yours in a pretty constant environment.Hope this helps.
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

#22132 - 07/29/07 06:37 PM Re: Preserving the leather in the sheath [Re: 505Gibbs]
7033grip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Winter Haven, Florida
Quote:

Jim & Dubie - thanks for your initial inputs! I'll refine the question a bit. What if the knife/sheath is meant as a collectable with no intentions of exposure to the 'elements' other than storage in a somewhat controlled environment i.e. air conditioned with not a huge swing in tempeature during the 'seasons'? Would you do anything different?
thanks again to all

Mike, it's entirely up to you. I would ask the expert, Grady McCotter (search the Forum) what he would do. Personally I would always use a good preservative. I have bought old safe queens in the past, and the leather is not supple.

I guess there is something to be said for someday saying "there has never been a foreign substance on tthis original, dried out sheath."

Dubie Baxter

Moderator:  Mr_Mod