Stanback Knives Miles Swelze
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#204544 - 07/10/23 08:03 PM Re: Knife Sharpening...HELP! [Re: Holzinger258]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Deep East Texas
Thanks and I will try it on my kitchen knives. I hope all I have to cut afterward is a stick of medium warm butter. There used to be a guy at our local gun shows that would sharpen knives but he is long gone. I would take a bag of knives (not Randalls) at least once a year for him to sharpen. I miss that old man.
RKS #4868

#204545 - 07/10/23 08:46 PM Re: Knife Sharpening...HELP! [Re: tomthbomb]
Kirko Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ladue,Missouri
I use the Spyderco Gauntlet perfect everytime ! I actually used my Model 10-7 so much I took the edge completely off and got it laser sharp with the Gauntlet and a DLT strop with the white and green compound.

Edited by Kirko (07/10/23 08:50 PM)

#204550 - 07/11/23 04:59 PM Re: Knife Sharpening...HELP! [Re: Holzinger258]
Holzinger258 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Desert Southwest
For my kitchen knives (NOT for Randall Knives!) I use a Chef’sChoice. It works very well, even on my Japanese knives. They are sharp enough to slice tomato so thin that it only has one side! (lol)

Attachments
------sharpener.png

RKS #258

#204553 - 07/11/23 06:37 PM Re: Knife Sharpening...HELP! [Re: Holzinger258]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
A lot of products out there "work well" as far as getting a sharp edge. Unfortunately, a good many "remove" blade metal rather than re-shaping it.
The bottom line is a sharpening "stone" or gentle "ceramic" works great and are "best" for the knives.
Stay Sharp, Capt. Chris

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (07/11/23 06:37 PM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#204555 - 07/11/23 06:59 PM Re: Knife Sharpening...HELP! [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Holzinger258 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

You're right, Captain. Honing with a steel doesn't remove metal, just smooths and straightens it.
(maybe if I remove enough steel by power sharpening, I'll have an excuse to buy a new knife!)
RKS #258

#204556 - 07/12/23 08:33 AM Re: Knife Sharpening...HELP! [Re: Holzinger258]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
I believe the steel is the harsher of the 3 I use. The EZE-Lap diamond sharpening rod, that comes in the tube on the front of my 4 5/8 inch Stanaback Special, ain't easy on the blade either...even worse than the steel. It is intended for touch up "in the field" only.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#204557 - 07/12/23 06:55 PM Re: Knife Sharpening...HELP! [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Holzinger258 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

One of my steels is even harsher--my Professional Extra Fine Oval Diamond Sharpening Steel may say "Extra Fine," but it DOES remove steel. I don't use it as much now as I used to.

Attachments
------diamond steel.png

RKS #258

#204721 - 08/05/23 05:11 AM Re: Knife Sharpening...HELP! [Re: Holzinger258]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
Oh, thank you so much Capt Chris for sharing. As for the angle, this is the most important smile

I also like the instruction from Ruana, I added the scanned leaflet to the message. And after sharpening, sometimes a burr or a wire edge remains, here is a good way to remove it from 12.5 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FqUL6slhtA&t=764
True, he does not say anything about the constant angle, but it is clear that he observes it

I use only stones lately, there are different, artificial abrasives and natural ones. For Randall, my favorites are Crystalon, India from Norton and Craftsman and Sintered Ruby by Gesswein for end sharpening

Attachments
------ruana sharpe.jpg

------GESSWEIN DEGUSSIT #214 FINE.jpg

#205357 - 09/30/23 05:39 AM Re: Knife Sharpening...HELP! [Re: desert.snake]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
Last week I met several cool guys, they make knives and sharpen them at a high level. They showed me an old video. One of their teachers. Unfortunately, he died about 12 years ago, but his notes and some articles have survived. You can include subtitles in the video and their translation into English

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdmrMNDL5Bw

Here he shows how to hold a knife, this position of the right hand helps to maintain a constant sharpening angle, very accurately control the pressure of the knife on the stone, and most importantly, it is suitable for people with sore wrists, for example, the hand is numb due to carpal tunnel syndrome or due to arthritis etc., and also for those who need to sharpen a lot at once

Now I'm trying to sharpen it this way. It’s still unusual for the hand, but overall the result is good. The guys also gave me 2 stones - Hindostan and Cretan stone. This time I sharpened #10, first coarse and medium carborundum, then Arkansas and 2 new stones alternately. I wanted to find out the difference between the stones. Cretan turned out to be somewhat rougher than Arkansas. Hindostan turned out to be at the level of Arkansas, but removes metal more quickly. I think from now on I will carry Hindostan with me as a help to Fine India for sharpening when it’s slightly dull. It works well with both water and oil

All this took about half an hour, including cleaning and washing the stones. If look under 10X magnifying glass, can see that it is still very far from ideal and in some places there is a very small burr, but in real work more sharpness is not required
https://youtu.be/UWxheAxpb14

The penultimate photo shows that I did not remove all the dents on the blade, since I don’t see the point in this. I don’t remove large chips, I sharpen them like a serrated tooth. It's a pity to remove a lot of metal from a blade without a serious reason. The last photo shows my folding Böker Slimline. It has suffered from time and rust, a dent has formed, and it has been sharpened like a serrated tooth. Cuts perfectly

Attachments
------IMG_8084.JPG

------IMG_8086.JPG

------IMG_8087.JPG

------IMG_8092.JPG

------IMG_8090.JPG

------IMG_7892.JPG

#205363 - 10/02/23 12:02 AM Re: Knife Sharpening...HELP! [Re: desert.snake]
spark42 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kentucky
Very interesting. Thanks for the in info.

Dennis
RKS #4298
RKCC #CM057

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod