Randall Knife Collectors Club dominionhobby.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 37 of 175 < 1 2 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 174 175 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#20372 - 06/15/09 12:18 AM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions * [Re: Condor]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick reply. , I did find the same mention in a current catolog. Lke you, I haven't seen this option "in the flesh". Practicality and pleasing asthetics are two viable reasons for owning Randalls. Having carried a #1 in Iraq, for reasons different from most collectors, I can assure everyone that my days of carrying knives for use in business are (hopefully) behind me. Since I have never seen a #2 with sawteeth it occured to me that it might be a very pleasing weapon, visually. As I said, I don't intend to ever use one proffesionally again, I'm just a lover and small time collector now. Having said that, with no intention of ever using a #2 for anything more than fondling and drooling over, I bet a No 2 with sawteeth would work wonders between the sixth and seventh ribs, or with a long blade, plunged directly between the left collarbones and "rocked" back and forth to open the heart and lungs with one good poke... Of course, I could be wrong.I do think those serrations will often make there way through tougher mediums, like cartilidge and thick protective skin, like on a human back, or the sinewy musculature of the back of ones' neck. Those sewteeth might be more valuable to the fighting man, than say, a hunter or a bushman, dressing deer and birds and the like. Great thing about Randalls, they make the best knife, for every application!

#20373 - 06/15/09 12:28 AM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Wally]
Condor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Rocky Mountain High
"Quick reply" - all of my e-mails go to my BlackBerry, which can be both good and bad.

Sawteeth on commando knives has been a topic of heated debate ever since Gerber started putting them on the Mark II about a million years ago. I can see where the smaller teeth on the MK-II might be of some value; not sure about the bigger teeth on the Randalls, though. Then again, I'm no expert.
RKS #5789
Member, Red Sox Nation
NRA Instructor
NRA Recruiter
NRA Benefactor Member

#20374 - 06/15/09 11:31 AM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Doug74]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
I'm Baa-aack!!
Doug...and anyone else who is watchin'. The Model #7 is available with a double hilt...and it only counts as "one" option.
Secondly: A #12-8" with stainless (option #1), nickel silver double hilt (option #2), forward curved (option, but not chargeable, as that shape is standard on a #12-8), aluminum and black spacers (option #3), Black micarta handle (option #4) and a "crow's beak" butt cap, in aluminum (option #5) is doable and the handle will "automatically" be shaped in the #22, "Outdoorsman" style at no additional charge. In order to install finger grips the crow's beak would have to be changed to a standard (or rounded) butt cap...and finger grips are "chargeable", so you would be over on options. Hope this helps.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20375 - 06/15/09 11:38 AM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Wally]
Knife Enthusiast

Wally:
Sawteeth, especially the way Randall cuts teeth are only available (or were available) in a "dirk/stiletto" styled blade on a Jack Crider special. The sawteeth that Jeff refers to on the Gerber's were really more serrations, and much, much more assymetric, as opposed to sawteeth with a singular direction built into their shaping.
I have seen a Model #2 with teeth and am fairly sure they were shop-installed. The knife was several decades old and unavailable in any reference material. Hope this helps.
Best, Capt. Chris

Attachments
62557-7in.Crider.jpg (414 downloads)

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (06/15/09 11:38 AM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20376 - 06/15/09 11:42 AM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: pappy19]
Knife Enthusiast

Mike,
(I have received and sent emails)...The "Combat Companion" you have asked about is doable, but if you switch from Commando-shaped handle shaping to finger grips, you will be charged for another "option". Hope this helps.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20377 - 06/15/09 06:48 PM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Doug74 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NE
Nice to have you back Captain....you are the man!

#20378 - 06/15/09 09:05 PM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Doug74]
Knife Enthusiast

Everyone else did a good job in my absense and thanks to all of you. It was kinda nice to take a "working vacation" without having to carry the laptop and do the computer thing!
Best, Capt. Chris
P.S.: Doug: Give me en email at my "regular" email address...Thanks, CCS
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20379 - 06/19/09 09:10 PM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Doug74 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NE
How many chargeable options?

Model #7-4 1/2

1) Nickel Silver Double Hilt
2) Smooth Flanged Butt Cap (Duralumin)
3) Wrist Thong
4) Leather Commando Handle (Does this count as one?)
5) Stainless Blade

Do I still have one more chargeable option left?

As always...thanks for feeding my disease!

#20380 - 08/18/09 03:02 PM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Keith_Hicks Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Greenbrier, AR
Capt. Chris,

I have a slot coming up with Sullivan's in about a year or so and I am making up my mind as to how to option a model 5. You answered some questions for me a while back, and I believe I ended up with 6 options, 1 of which was a sharpened top blade.

I have decided to eliminate the sharpened top blade option to keep it at 5. But my question is. . .would it be bad form to, after I receive the knife and at a later date, send it back to the shop to have the sharpened top blade option added? I realize that would be adding a 6th option and taking up shop time. I certainly do not want to do something that I shouldn't.

What is your opinion on this?

Thanks in advance.
RKS Member #4613

#20381 - 08/20/09 11:07 PM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Keith_Hicks]
Knife Enthusiast

Keith,
In "my" opinion...5 options is 5 options. If folks sent knives back for name etching, compass installs, wrist thongs, top bevel sharpeneing, etc. the delay in scheduled shipping times will just be augmented. I don't remember your specific questions about the Randall you want to order, but perhaps there is another place to cut an option??
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

Page 37 of 175 < 1 2 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 174 175 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod