Stanback Knives Miles Swelze
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 17 of 175 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 174 175 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#20172 - 06/20/08 06:25 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions * [Re: samg]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Not "scalloped". Scalloped is scalloped. "Coolies" are smooth. Flanged butt caps come both smooth "and" scalloped..just to add to the confusion.. Best, Capt. Chris
P.S. Note that in the catalog it states that "smooth" is available in brass "or" duralumin....CCS
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20173 - 06/20/08 06:56 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: North Carolina
Thanks Capt Chris. I understand, and with no confusion There is alot to this upgrade stuff, and this thread is incredibly valuable.
thanks again.
RKS Member #5700

#20174 - 06/29/08 04:53 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: samg]
rodbrown Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Capt. or anyone, could you answer this for me. I have searched the Forums for the answer, but can't find it. The question: Can you have a border patrol handle on a Model 5-4? The RMK catlogue states one can have a BPH on a Model 5, but the 4" is a small knife and I did not know if can accept a BPH. Thank you.
Whether you think you can or can not, you are right.

#20175 - 06/29/08 06:44 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: rodbrown]
Knife Enthusiast

Rod,
Yes: A "Border Patrol" or a "SFG" (Single Finger Grip) are available on a #5-4", but FG's (Finger Grips) are "not". Hope this helps. Best. Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20176 - 06/29/08 07:22 PM n/s collar on #22 grip? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Deep East Texas
Capt. Chris, as long as you are in the question answering mood how about this?

Less than two years ago I ordered two Randalls from an authorized dealer. He does not participate on our forum but is a great guy none the less!

About six months ago I got an email advising the nickel silver collar I ordered on a #3-7 with a #22 grip was not allowed. I replied "no problemo, put aluminum and black spacers instead". Well, I also had a #4-7 with the same options on another knife due one month later so I assumed the collar would go and the spacers would be substituted.

Here is what I received about six weeks apart. The antique ivory colored micarta is exactly the same color but one photo was taken outside, the other taken six weeks later inside due to rain.

My question is: are collars allowed with a #22 grip or not? Either way I am not going to contact the selling dealer. Did this one just kinda slip through?

Attachments
41670-#4-7ivorymicarta.jpg (386 downloads)

RKS #4868

#20177 - 06/29/08 08:55 PM Re: n/s collar on #22 grip? [Re: tomthbomb]
Knife Enthusiast

To the best of my knowledge the collar "is" doable, providing you do not go over the 5 option limit, which you did not..in either photo shown here. I just don't know why you were told this. The fact that the #4 came through with the collar should prove it is still allowed. Sounds like a glitch somewhere. I certainly will not defend this "other" dealer, but sometimes we get letters from the Randall shop stating one thing or the other. I have reviewed all of my recent ones and I find no "authorized" change in policy, with regards to the collar.
I have told folks on this forum that I will not take special orders for more than 2 collars or nickel silver butt caps in any particular month. This is a business decision on my part and not the decision of the Randall shop. I received correspondence from the shop 3 years ago asking me (us the dealers) to try and limit these items as they slow down production time. I want to be part of the solution..not the problem. Perhaps this is what your dealer meant and the Model #4 came out on a month where they had more latitude. Best I can do...Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20178 - 06/30/08 03:42 AM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
rodbrown Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Capt. Chris
Thank you for your answer, it is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Rod
Whether you think you can or can not, you are right.

#20179 - 06/30/08 06:26 PM Re: n/s collar on #22 grip? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks Capt. Chris.

I guess it is what I call an isolated incident.

So much for a matched pair.
RKS #4868

#20180 - 07/01/08 10:06 PM Re: n/s collar on #22 grip? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

After thinking about this and looking at my photos I came to the conclusion that I would really like to see a Randall Craftsman shape that crow's beak butt cap!
RKS #4868

#20181 - 07/04/08 11:01 AM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: tomthbomb]
Bigkc82 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Delmarva
Was wondering how many options do I have?
#5-6"
Carbon Blade
Sawteeth
NS1(SQH)
Thumb Notches
Maroon Micarta
Thong Hole
Compass

Page 17 of 175 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 174 175 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod