Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 16 of 175 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 174 175 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#20162 - 06/12/08 01:19 AM Re: Randall Ordering Question * [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Ausblade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: A land downunder
Capt Chris

This is a excellent thread and has helped me a great deal in understanding what we can do within the five option limit.

I though I had it down pat until I read in another thread that Dirty Water says that if on a 12-9 you change from the standard brass lugged hilt to a brass forward curved hilt there is no charge.

I understand that if I order a Micarta handle on one of the leather handled models, that it is a chargeable option. If I then went further and specified a border patrol shape that would be another chargeable option, then a butt cap would make 3 and so on.

What if I ordered these same options on a knife that has a stag handle as standard?
So surely changing from stag to the cheaper option of micarta would not be a chargeable option.

Therefore if I ordered a Model #8 and requested the only options to be black micarta border patrol handle, would this be one chargeable option or two?

Edited by Ausblade (06/12/08 01:59 AM)

#20163 - 06/13/08 10:52 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
armedcitizen Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I've seen a few Delrin handles Randalls on Ebay lately. Through my job I have access to a lot of Delrin. Does the shop accept delrin as customer supplied handle material?

#20164 - 06/15/08 09:58 AM Re: Randall Ordering Question [Re: Ausblade]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
In that scenario you would have 2 options, but only one "chargeable" option. A Model #5-4", Model #8-4", Model #21-3 1/4" or a Model #26-4" all come with stag and, when or if ordered with micarta handles, they are supplied at no additional charge! I am sure there are more, but that "quartet" is used as an example. An "Old Style" #8 is the same story. #11-3 1/4"..O.K.: You get the idea. Gotta go for now. Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20165 - 06/15/08 10:04 AM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: armedcitizen]
Knife Enthusiast

Jerry,
I believe tha shop still accepts it, but I will check. On occasion, Randall will "broad-brush" a particular type of material and discontinue it's use. Sometimes this is done because of problems with the material itself. Other times it is done because of fear, sometimes already manifested prior to the "ban", of fakes or Randall "stories" that can get attached to or "possibly" attached to one of these knives. Delrin had a fairly short run. It will be interesting to see the answer. I'll check it out. Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20166 - 06/20/08 08:45 AM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

Jerry,
I checked with the Randall shop and delrin is indeed "out of the loop". It peels so badly that the shop quit using it. I have had a few Randalls with this material and they left me cold, so I guess it isn't a huge loss to be turned down on this request. "PLUS"...Anything that slows the guys down is bad. Hope this helps. Best, Capt. Chris
P.S. This is a similar scenario, although for a different reason, that brought about the demise of the white micarta the Randall shop was using after the "old yeller" was used up. It would check and crack and the shop wants nothing to do with it anymore!...CCS
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20167 - 06/20/08 12:07 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
armedcitizen Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks, Capt.

#20168 - 06/20/08 12:47 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: North Carolina
Can someone explain the "Coolie" cap? Is it the standard Duralumin cap? Where does the term come from.
thanks
RKS Member #5700

#20169 - 06/20/08 01:36 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: samg]
Knife Enthusiast

It is "not" the duralumin butt cap, but can be made from aluminum ...or brass. S.E. Asia, along with many other Asian tours of duty found the term, quite frequently reffering to the covers the locals would wear...and "that" is about as polite as I can word it. One look in the catalog will quickly show you the difference is shape, verses a standard butt cap. Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20170 - 06/20/08 02:22 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: samg]
tglassco Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Gator Country
Brass Coolie Cap On A Model #1 8" SS Blade

The end of the Tang is slightly visible at the end of the handle.

Attachments
41188-100_2018(Medium).JPG (382 downloads)

Edited by tglassco (06/20/08 02:23 PM)
RKS #5553

#20171 - 06/20/08 02:23 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: North Carolina
Ahh, the scalloped cap, I see now.
Thanks Capt Chris, and thanks for the invaluable service you provide for this forum, on many fronts.
RKS Member #5700

Page 16 of 175 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 174 175 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod