Randall Knife Collectors Club Miles Swelze
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 11 of 37 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 36 37 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201224 - 10/19/22 06:37 PM Re: Stag Saturday [Re: LarryWW1246]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Love willhunt's stag...all excellent examples.

And on topic for this thread.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#201226 - 10/19/22 07:43 PM Re: Stag Saturday [Re: GCTom41]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: GCTom41
Joe and Chris,

Checked under high magnification and no TL or TWL anywhere.

Tom Flynn

There ya go Tom. You have one of the dozen or so that TL told Chris he didn't mark.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#201228 - 10/19/22 08:59 PM Re: Stag Saturday [Re: LarryWW1246]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: LarryWW1246
This is an interesting thread...

People routinely ask RMK whether certain knives were their work. When they were made. Etc. Having to deal with those requests must be bothersome, distracting. After all, they are in the business of making knives, not verifying history.

Yet RMK has been patient about it, and asked others like Pete, Perry, Grady, if they would do authentications to help the owners/collectors who had knives that maybe did not look like knives in the current catalogues.

Knives that were genuinely made by RMK as “one offs” or transitional or set up in ways not considered to be standard are at times questioned by knowledgeable people who did not have the benefit of knowing for sure and did not have the personal experience of being involved in making them.

Even folks at RMK might not know for sure…Institutional memory fades with time, and not everybody remembers everything even if they are still there when a question is raised.

This Forum has had a lot of conversations along these lines…sometimes heated, almost always informative. (How many stiches to the inch or what about the color of thread on this sheath? Why this sheath stamp in this orientation? What about this spacer setup? How about this Model X with a blade that does not look like a Model X?)

Most people who like knives have ideas about design, parts and pieces, etc. If we must have knives that satisfy these urges, and we want a Randall, we can work with RMK within the bounds of their production and get a perfectly suitable knife.

Otherwise, we can have another maker put their own brand on a knife that matches our wishes.

I guess I fall on the side of keeping the real thing real. If a Randall knife needs work, have RMK do whatever is needed to keep it functional but avoid having outsiders modify it to an extent that it could be confused as a rare example that never went into the catalogues.

Otherwise…those suspected “rare examples” might be brought to RMK for authentication at some time in the future.

It is likely that said rare examples will have been bought at a premium because somebody told the buyer a “story” that turns out to be just too good to be true.

(By the way, it is not just RMKs that fall into this situation. Consider efforts to authenticate Jim Bowie’s actual knife. A number of said knives have been laboriously “authenticated” over the years! And owners of those “authenticated” knives have strained to justify their purchases, motivated by zeal, by the urge to protect their investment, and/or the anticipation of profit when they sell them.)

Larry

Larry -

Yes, the requests can be bothersome, one of the reasons I bring up the point of new guys possibly being taken by a knife with a fancy handle put on by a couple of well known cutlers. I have had several sent to me for authentication and I have to tell a guy it is not a Randall handle. A couple of them have gotten irate and verbally attacked me because of what I said. I have had guys bring them to me at shows, and the shocked looks on their face when I give them the bad news says it all.

As i previously stated, the re-handling of newer Randall knives has become a cottage industry that is keeping a couple of makers busy, and they are making good money for their efforts. Some of the work is really good, but they need to be marked.

I wanted to note, I have never known Grady to authenticate anything. He had no affiliation with the shop as of course Pete did, and then Perry.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#201229 - 10/19/22 09:44 PM Re: Stag Saturday [Re: crutchtip]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Joe,
Grady was the "go-to guy", including referrals from the shop, on sheaths. This what I "know" and saw and heard, first-hand on this subject.
When I first got the RKCC up & running, I got a call from Grady. He wanted to join and actually "asked me" if I would be interested in him putting an article together for the "Knife Knews". The subject would be a detailed description of his methods for restoring old leather (sheaths).
Naturally I said "yes". When the copy was done and printed I dropped off 100 copies at the shop. I was busy, at first, out front with Scott. When I went into the office, GTR had "just" finished reading the article.
His words (GTR) were..."Perfect"...That's why we refer everyone to him on all things, sheath and leather related". This included dating them for the oldies.
Perhaps this is what Larry was referring to.
...I "still" think all this subject matter deserves it's own thread.
Stay Sharp, Capt. Chris
PS: Sorry for new members and newer RMK fanatics: "Grady" we're referring to was Grady McCotter. Sadly, shortly after he wrote the article, Grady passed away. Great guy...CCS
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#201230 - 10/19/22 09:55 PM Re: Stag Saturday [Re: LarryWW1246]
Shoot870p Offline
Knife Enthusiast

That is a very impressive set, Will hunt!
Walker

#201231 - 10/19/22 10:39 PM Re: Stag Saturday [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
Joe,
Grady was the "go-to guy", including referrals from the shop, on sheaths. This what I "know" and saw and heard, first-hand on this subject.
When I first got the RKCC up & running, I got a call from Grady. He wanted to join and actually "asked me" if I would be interested in him putting an article together for the "Knife Knews". The subject would be a detailed description of his methods for restoring old leather (sheaths).
Naturally I said "yes". When the copy was done and printed I dropped off 100 copies at the shop. I was busy, at first, out front with Scott. When I went into the office, GTR had "just" finished reading the article.
His words (GTR) were..."Perfect"...That's why we refer everyone to him on all things, sheath and leather related". This included dating them for the oldies.
Perhaps this is what Larry was referring to.
...I "still" think all this subject matter deserves it's own thread.
Stay Sharp, Capt. Chris
PS: Sorry for new members and newer RMK fanatics: "Grady" we're referring to was Grady McCotter. Sadly, shortly after he wrote the article, Grady passed away. Great guy...CCS

The shop does what it can to ease its "pain" of incessant calls, and Grady fit the bill. You think Gary or anyone else wants to answer questions about sheaths? You know the answer. Heck, even Gaddis has limited information on sheaths.

I will say, while Grady was a great guy (RIP) and probably took some sheaths that were not in good shape and made them servicable, he also ruined a fair share with his "treatment". I saw many that needed nothing, but some guys are convinced that a sheath needs this or that to "preserve" it, and they were turned into a limp dick. So, it was a mixed bag. Most folks don't carry anyway, so what is the point?

I have more than a couple of sheaths dating back to WWII that were carried in theater, and they need nothing. The same for Korea and Vietnam, all harsh environments. Some may have had something put on them 60+ years ago, I can't say for certain. Nevertheless, I discourage folks from "treating" their sheaths, particularly with oils i.e mink oil, which can actually accelerate deterioration.

You hunt and carry, you "treat" your sheaths?

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#201232 - 10/20/22 05:33 AM Re: Stag Saturday [Re: crutchtip]
Knife Enthusiast

I use waxed sheaths and have replaced them a couple of times.
Capt. Chris
PS: When I get back from "The Ham" I'll start a new thread. We (myself included) have royally hi-jacked this one.
My apologies, CCS
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#201237 - 10/20/22 05:23 PM Re: Stag Saturday [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
REK Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tampa, Florida
Terrific set, willhunt!

RKCC #CM 18
NRA Golden Eagle

#201238 - 10/20/22 05:33 PM Re: Stag Saturday [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Gary_Clinton Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Not to continue to derail the topic but I think this is a great conversation that is overdue. I too share Joes concerns about the re-handles and modified Randalls. We need to do everything we can to encourage new collectors and a re-handle makes things complicated for those who are not aware. Someone at a show can say this is a one of a kind and it could very well be. The problem is it did not come out of the shop like that and greatly affects the collectability.
Fast forward 20-30 years from now when we are all gone and then it gets very confusing.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Behrings do fabulous work and the same with Jim Sinclair. But I would also like to see the knife marked somehow so everyone knows it is modified.

Randall will not honor a modified knife if it needs repair.

The samurai sword hobby is hanging on by a thread because evidently they have been making samurai swords for 500 years and fakes for 499 years. If you ask the seller it is as original as they get. Ask the buyer and it is modified. Try to find someone at a sword show without grey hair.

We need to keep it simple and inviting.

#201239 - 10/20/22 06:32 PM Re: Stag Saturday [Re: Gary_Clinton]
Knife Enthusiast

Gary,
Good to see your post, thanks. Jim & Rocco are setting up with me in Tulsa. Let me approach them with ideas about this. I'll do the same with James & Grant...to be continued.
Headed out at dawn's 1st light tomorrow...BUT...when I get back we'll have at thread for this topic...and it will help some...I guarantee!
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

Page 11 of 37 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 36 37 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod