Clinton Knives James Behring Knives
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198270 - 02/27/22 11:38 AM RAO II
Uncle Mike Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Wisconsin
Hi, Extrema Ratio (Last Resort) is an Italian Company that focuses on "tactical" knives with input from various military units. The Rao is an interesting knife that is a folder but can be turned into a fixed blade by inserting a threaded pin. The pin is attached by a "shock cord". I like the sheath as it can carry the knife as a folder or extended, can be carried as a fixed blade. The attachment by "shock cord" not to my liking. This is a big knife that with sheath weighs 16oz and open is 10.5". It is made from Bohler N690 with an "anticorodal aluminum" handle.(anticorodal?). This was not an easy knife to find and I originally wanted the RAO, original. The original has a "Tanto" style blade. The weight to usefulness ratio made not be to everyone's taste. It's not a Randall but I think it's interesting, regards, Mike

Mike C
RKCC No. 825

#198564 - 03/15/22 06:33 PM Re: RAO II [Re: Uncle Mike]
Uncle Mike Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Hi, I finally got the "original" RAO. Basic difference is blade shape and Italian paratrooper insignia. This knife was designed with input of the Italian Special forces; in June 2006 by the 185 ° Rgt. Reconnaissance and Objective Acquisition “FOLGORE” group. The motto is Latin and means, "roughly".... "to see and not be seen". Regards, Mike

Mike C
RKCC No. 825

#199688 - 07/16/22 08:27 AM Re: RAO II [Re: Uncle Mike]
Gert Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
Very interesting knives, Mike.

I was visiting at the German Army Alpine school in Mittenwald, Bavaria, I think it was in 2010. There were some Italian mountain troops there too, and one of them had this same Tanto folder. I thought then and now that it is not the prettiest of knives, but was impressed by it anyway, because it obviously means business.

#199692 - 07/16/22 01:22 PM Re: RAO II [Re: Gert]
Uncle Mike Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Hi Gert, It's an interesting tool. I like the Extrema Ratio line and am impressed with the quality; I have several different fixed blades, regards, Mike

Mike C
RKCC No. 825

Moderator:  John_Hanlon, John_Nugent, kdhampton