dominionhobby.com Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#19738 - 06/06/07 07:54 PM Re: Separate "S", Low "S" [Re: tglassco]
mileswelze Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Arizona
Interesting knife. Thanks for pointing this one out, Tom.

I'm not sure that the seller is correct with his suggestion that this is a Solingen blade from the Vietnam Era. It isn't marked Solingen, nor does it appear to be a Solingen Fighter grind. Could it be a model 14 with a model 18 saw/no saw grind?

Vietnam Era? That seems a stretch. What a beautiful stamp, though!

Any other opinions on this one?
Miles Welze -- RKS #5063
www.mileswelze.com
www.consignmentknives.com
Mad Dog Knives, USA Exclusive Dealer

#19739 - 06/06/07 08:27 PM Re: Separate "S", Low "S" [Re: mileswelze]
tglassco Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Gator Country
From everything I have read on this forum and that includes some very knowledgeable collectors I am inclined to say that the sellers comments regarding the separate "S" are all wrong. It seems that from all those in the know, the separate "S" is for Stainless Steel. I have a 12-8 Bear Bowie correctly dated early to mid 90's pictured in the gallery with the exact stamp and I am sure the "S" does not stand for Soligen. I would be interested in comments from the experts
RKS #5553

#19740 - 06/06/07 08:43 PM Re: Separate "S", Low "S" [Re: tglassco]
7033grip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Winter Haven, Florida
That's why we post these questions, so everyone can learn.

Most of us are aware the "S" stands for Stainless, but as you learn more, you'll find out that where, how, and when the stamp was placed, makes a difference.

Dubie
RKS #5099

#19741 - 06/06/07 09:13 PM Re: Separate "S", Low "S" [Re: 7033grip]
Sheldon_Wickersham Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Montana
While we're waiting for the experts to arrive, I'll give my opinion; it's a mid to late 1980's stainless steel Model #14 with, as Miles suggested, a sawtooth/no saw tooth blade grind...(the same blade grind would be used on a no saw tooth (NST) Model #18)...

The giveaway here is the FL blade stamp, first used in 1984 - and, the end production date for JRB 'C' model sheaths, roughly 1989...

Hope that helps,

#19742 - 06/06/07 10:03 PM Re: Separate "S", Low "S" [Re: tglassco]
patrickjames Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Red Bluff California
I thought this seller seemed familiar. It seems he's up to the same "oldthing" This guy needs to be beat after what he did in this auction. Making money off a solder who lost his life defending this guys freedom in a fraudulent auction.

Check out the link:
link
RKS #5247 NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Mr_Mod