Page 44 of 56 < 1 2 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 55 56 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196629 - 12/10/21 12:34 PM Re: Hand Guns [Re: thevalueman]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
Rocky,
It is the El Paso Saddlery Model 1920 crossdraw. Mine does not have the snap/strap but a hammer thong. In my opinion,the best way to go.

A number of years ago,I knew a smoke jumper who carried one of the original Bearcats (no transfer bar so five shots in the wheel) in his side cargo pocket on missions. That was basically his meal ticket for the trip out as they sometimes had to hike out some fairly long distances after fighting a fire.

My BearCat (blue,new model) is my camp/trail gun and I have never been disappointed with it.

Wayne

#196632 - 12/10/21 02:48 PM Re: Hand Guns [Re: Wayne Dengler]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
Wayne,
Through emails, I have them making me a "Doc Holliday" shoulder holster...gotta have the cowboy look with that birdshead....I also need a regular belt type....like the 1920

:-)Rocky
RKCC#25

#196638 - 12/10/21 08:15 PM Re: Hand Guns [Re: thevalueman]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Wayne
Speaking of Smokejumpers, when I worked for the Forest Service in the 60's and 70's, before the big fire season started, the FS would detail the Smoke Jumpers to various districts, to do manual labor stuff; cut dead trees around campgrounds, mow the lawns, fix fences, etc. They were hard working during the day, and hard drinking after work. I was a young Batchelor forester the first time I was around a group of Jumpers and I couldn't keep up with them. Their big deal was, when they jumped on a 2 man fire, which was generally one old dead snag hit by lightning, after it was cut down and out. They had to stay at least 2 days on site to make sure the fire was out, then they had to walk out to the nearest road to get picked up. Many times it was miles to the nearest road. Their parachutes and gear had to be packed out and weighed 80 lbs. They would flip a coin to see who packed both packs while the other jumper broke trail. Many times there was no trail back to the road. They were some very tough dudes.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#196640 - 12/11/21 10:21 AM Re: Hand Guns [Re: pappy19]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Pappy,
Looks like I pirated the thread a bit but just bear with me for a moment.
Behring knives is a short distance from what may have been the original smoke jumper school in Missoula.
A number of smoke jumpers were paratroopers.

A couple of issues ago in the National Smokejumper magazine they have detailed stories about smoke jumpers working for Air America in "nam and "elsewhere".

In fact,back in '71 one was prime suspect in the D.Cooper skyjack incident.

One of my grand-daughters swears that I was D. Cooper. (I have an alibi,I think).

Yep,a different breed of men.

Rocky,
When you get that rig from El Paso Saddlery,let us see some photos. I know they do superb work.

Wayne

#196654 - 12/12/21 03:49 PM Re: Hand Guns [Re: Wayne Dengler]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
O.K....so...I have this "bug out" box/crate...it's just something that I have, if I only have the time to grab one thing....didn't contain a gun, or money....didn't occur to me....I have guns everywhere, so WTF....then, as I thought...well, maybe if it's the only thing I can grab....maybe it should have not only a firearm, BUT some dough....I picked up this little strong box at Home Depot this morning....right size, just wrong gun(all I have)....stuffed it with some cash($500) and obviously some silver...you just don't know!!
This does fit the "handgun" thread....I think

:-)Rocky

Attachments
------DSC09987.JPG

------DSC09988.JPG

RKCC#25

#196655 - 12/12/21 06:29 PM Re: Hand Guns [Re: thevalueman]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Rocky,
It fits the thread,it has a nice snubby there.

Good bug out box. Smart to include silver.

I know that in the orient some time back,families would have a bug out bag of sorts but mostly containing diamonds and jewelry.

Wayne

#196656 - 12/12/21 09:59 PM Re: Hand Guns [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Shoot870p Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Looks fairly well stocked to me!
Walker

#196659 - 12/13/21 07:36 PM Re: Hand Guns [Re: Shoot870p]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lake Fork, East Texas
Good idea!!!

Be nice just to to be able to gather your wits just in case you really messed up.

Ain’t planning. Just sayin’.

#196664 - 12/14/21 05:59 PM Re: Hand Guns [Re: coachblalock]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Rocky,
Being that the S&W you have there is one of the lock models,make certain that you have the key along in your kit bag with it.

I have heard rumors that the lock sometimes engages but that is just rumors. I have never seen it happen.

But when things go wrong,murphy's law is ever present.

Wayne

#196665 - 12/14/21 06:01 PM Re: Hand Guns [Re: Wayne Dengler]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lake Fork, East Texas
That’s why I went with the Ruger Alaskan.

Page 44 of 56 < 1 2 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 55 56 >

Moderator:  Peter_Kaufman