Randall Knife Collectors Club Stanback Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#194285 - 05/28/21 01:18 PM Would you re-handle this knife
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
The Ivory has a vertical crack at the rear pin. Not a common crack found with Ivory and I believe impossible to fix. My question, live with the crack or have it re-handled by BMK? I am leaning towards keeping it as is, anyone out there think it should get a new handle material?

Attachments
------ADA63DA8-E28B-4DF5-B434-AA2E026A2850.jpeg

------934EB02E-35A8-4FE1-A871-9881086F0247.jpeg

#194286 - 05/28/21 02:17 PM Re: Would you re-handle this knife [Re: Eric]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lake Fork, East Texas
Hey Eric:

Take a look at this before you make a decidion. Who knows?

Coach

https://aftrnoon.com/products/glass-repa...aRoCpNAQAvD_BwE

#194287 - 05/28/21 02:57 PM Re: Would you re-handle this knife [Re: coachblalock]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
the only way I would is if it becomes loose...looks o.k. to me...it's ivory, like concrete...the only thing for sure with concrete is that it will crack..
my $0.02mworth...

:-)Rocky
RKCC#25

#194290 - 05/28/21 04:35 PM Re: Would you re-handle this knife [Re: thevalueman]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Coach, The crack is an old one and dirt has gotten in the crack. I am not sure how to get the dirt out. The shorter section has gotten dirt between the tang and the ivory and has risen up a hair to make the handle surface uneven. I believe any attempt at using a filler will only make it worse. The wrist thong ferrule is helping to keep it stable.

Rocky, Neither section is loose.

#194291 - 05/28/21 04:43 PM Re: Would you re-handle this knife [Re: Eric]
Sidney_Redford Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Ridge Mtns. Va.
I would keep it for sure.
RKS #84 NRA Life. Shag # 11

#194292 - 05/28/21 04:45 PM Re: Would you re-handle this knife [Re: Eric]
rodbrown Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Eric
Might a bit of compressed air get the dirt out. I use my compressor for cleaning all sorts of things. Just don’t get the pressure too high.
Whether you think you can or can not, you are right.

#194294 - 05/28/21 05:46 PM Re: Would you re-handle this knife [Re: rodbrown]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
if it ain't broke(ahh not cracked)..just leave it alone...

:-)Rocky
RKCC#25

#194295 - 05/28/21 05:49 PM Re: Would you re-handle this knife [Re: rodbrown]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lake Fork, East Texas
Eric:

There is some of that kind of stuff (not sure if the same) that actually pulls the material together. Its not the same old epoxy that we have all used before. If you can get it clean, you might research it.

Coach

ps. If you cant get it clean, Id live with it. Kinda like a "Battle Scar".

#194296 - 05/28/21 06:12 PM Re: Would you re-handle this knife [Re: coachblalock]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Coach, I have this soft putty material that I use to clean my airpods, I guess I can try that to see if it pics up some of the dirt. I really like the Drop Point Hunter.

Rod, I tried a can of forced air, really could not tell any difference afterwards.

#194297 - 05/28/21 06:19 PM Re: Would you re-handle this knife [Re: coachblalock]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
If that knife was in a high humidity place in the south it would close up by half.
I would try to get the dirt out with compressed air.
I had one with a crack that a credit card would fit in.
When it came down here in the heat and humidity it closed to where you couldn't put a piece of paper in. still looked cracked don't get me wrong. I would leave it be.
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#194298 - 05/28/21 07:21 PM Re: Would you re-handle this knife [Re: Eric]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Trade it to me...(Third Option)
Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#194301 - 05/29/21 08:01 AM Re: Would you re-handle this knife [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I appreciate the trade offer Captain, but it’s staying with me for now. I got it at a good price so I am more than ok with the crack. Without the crack I would have had to pay a lot more.

I am going to keep it as is. If I had sent it in for re-handle, I would of used Warther’s resin ivory.

#194302 - 05/29/21 08:41 AM Re: Would you re-handle this knife [Re: Eric]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Quite often, scrimshanding (with the proper scene) can all but totally "hide" ivory's damage. A waterfall, river, etc...
Just Sayin',
Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#194303 - 05/29/21 10:15 AM Re: Would you re-handle this knife [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southwest Virginia
Eric,
I was glad to hear you say that, like me, you “really like the drop point hunter.” And that you plan to keep it and, I hope, use it. The best thing that you could possibly do with that blade with the crack is to continue to fill the crack in with special fillers that you can only find from the adventures that you take it on and all the fun times & memories included. That special mixture packs best in cracks, holds better than anything and means the most when passed on to others.
This crack-filling mixture, however, can only be learned through experience
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#194304 - 05/29/21 10:26 AM Re: Would you re-handle this knife [Re: Duke]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Duke, That sir is excellent advise. The DPH is a true RMK classic!

#194311 - 05/29/21 06:43 PM Re: Would you re-handle this knife [Re: Eric]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I probably would not use it, as they have some good collector value. Get a #28, same thing as DPH but has border patrol handle, if you really want one with a user.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#194387 - 06/06/21 09:27 PM Re: Would you re-handle this knife [Re: crutchtip]
needfull things Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Upper New Zealand
I've (and others) have use a product for sealing cracks in woodwork and metal.
Called " Captain Tulley's creeping crack cure"
Go on, laugh it up, but it does work well.

ENSURE crack dry, and apply directly to crack.it will apply like milk and wick inwards. Several small applications are better.
Dries clear.
Just a thought...

#194388 - 06/07/21 06:07 AM Re: Would you re-handle this knife [Re: needfull things]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Joe, I have all the RMK users I can justify. Since deciding to not re-handle I am now looking to secure the handle not for use but for the long haul as a collector piece. I have found someone who can do this right and have submitted the knife for that end. I will post pics when knife returns.

Needful things, I have not heard about Captain Tulley’s cure. Sounds easy. I have always wanted to visit NZ. My Mom went and said it was the most beautiful place she ever vacationed.

Edited by Eric (06/07/21 06:09 AM)

#194389 - 06/07/21 07:04 AM Re: Would you re-handle this knife [Re: Eric]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Eric -

the thing that might concern me is being as the crack appears very narrow, the "repair" may require that the crack be opened up a bit to accept whatever material he is using. Personally, I think that would exacerbate the situation as far as the aesthetics are concerned. In other words, it will make it more noticeable. Rod suggested using some compressed air to get the dirt out. I imagine that would improve the appearance dramatically.

My guess is the crack could be relatively stable, like a small stress crack in concrete. It moves, but doesn't adversely affect the structural integrity in many cases. Like was previously mentioned, may not worth the effort unless it was to fall off which seems unlikely.

I don't recall seeing any major failures with ivory like the handle fell off, lost a piece, or chipped. I would say only perhaps from impact might that happen.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#194391 - 06/07/21 08:18 AM Re: Would you re-handle this knife [Re: crutchtip]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
The knife is excellent, this piece would have fallen off if it had not been held by the tube at the back. I had AG Russell's knife, a small ivory droppoint, it had a similar crack, sorry the photo didn't survive, the piece behind the crack fell off. Possibly due to a change in moisture?

Compressed air may or may not help, the dirt can definitely be cleaned out with pressurized water, such as Karcher, but it is necessary to wrap all the other parts of the handle with something like electrical tape stronger so as not to damage the handle. And then use in crack a little epoxy resin for jewelry, it is durable and almost invisible, but it is better to pre-experiment on some separate piece of a broken bone to see how it will look.

#194619 - 06/24/21 07:42 PM Re: Would you re-handle this knife [Re: desert.snake]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I really like the way it turned our. Crack has been sealed and it passes the thumb nail test. Handle is now secured from this crack.

Attachments
------41E9FEA7-9A1A-415E-B6C3-2106909558F0.jpeg

------5CE693E3-399C-4367-9AD8-841BC2E479FC.jpeg

#194623 - 06/24/21 11:01 PM Re: Would you re-handle this knife [Re: Eric]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Personally I would call a "across the grain" a break.
happening at the pin is a rare occurrence, in my experience.
Regardless a killer knife!
If you ever look at it and wish you had your money back I would love a chance to own it.
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod