Nifeboy.com Randall Knife Collectors Club
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#189016 - 07/16/20 07:09 AM Re: Value of carry vs. collecting [Re: Hank Dodge]
GCTom41 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NY
Hank,

I only have one EDC a tri-athelete handled in Black Palm that I always have with me.

For Hunting it is a 25-5 stag in a waxed pouch sheath, that is razor sharp. Knife has been in many places around the world.

I display the majority of my collection for me to always see and enjoy. Value is in the eyes of the beholder.

Depends on what kind of collecting you want to do. Exotic handle materials and historical knife shapes are one of my go to's for builds.

I like all knives RMK and BMK. I also liked the work of Shaw/Liebowitz during the 70's with their blade etched Bicentennial set and the Lewis and Clark RMK issue.

RKS and RKCC Club issued knives are also great knives to collect.

Look at the work that James Behring is doing; his sources for artifact materials is extraordinary. His blued and hammered blade finishes are also an excellent addition to a knife. You will have to go looking hard to find a sharper knife than those made by James. The sheath work (artwork) that he has as resources are Roger Mudbone Jones, Amy Warlander and Rowe Sheaths. Wood checkering for handles is also available.

Classic RMK Catalog and Non-Catalog knives have set the standard for purpose designed knives. RMK also has the most knowledgeable dealer base; some with their own Dealer Special RMK knives. There are also highly qualified knife resellers like Mitchell Harrison(Tunefink)and Joe Dorsky (Crutchtip). They can also help you with Authentication and Appraisals.

Remember buy the knife not the story. Especially on the Bay- everyone has Vietnam era or some other unverifiable reference noted in their descriptions. Military knives with provenance are the tried and true collectible; usually exceed price paid on resale and are the best investment.

The greatest set of knives ever made in my opinion was the Continents Series RMK/Tom Leschorn; if you want to see excellent craftsmanship and materials along with a theme.

Good luck and buy what is right for you.

Tom Flynn
RKS#5918
RKCC-CM-178
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

#189018 - 07/16/20 09:36 AM Re: Value of carry vs. collecting [Re: CrazyCajun]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
Thanks Steve ... and thanks for reminding me ...
I also use my carving set, of course!

Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#189022 - 07/16/20 11:00 AM Re: Value of carry vs. collecting [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
I have two EDCs, a RMK and a folder.

My RMK EDC is a 5-4" with no options. It came from a friend, which came from another friend of mine (that ordered it from the shop directly). I brought the knife to Blade 2019 and left it with Amy for a pouch sheath build. The new sheath has taken some abuse but that's the purpose.

My folder is a Benchmade 730 Ares (Axis lock). Big fan of the drop point and axis lock.

#189030 - 07/16/20 03:00 PM Re: Value of carry vs. collecting [Re: GCTom41]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
That was well said Tom....
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#189037 - 07/16/20 03:49 PM Re: Value of carry vs. collecting [Re: Chief]
Holzinger258 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Desert Southwest

Attachments
------users.JPG

RKS #258

#189056 - 07/17/20 11:23 AM Re: Value of carry vs. collecting [Re: Mell73]
ctdair Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Mell73
I use my model 23 and a Sergeant hard and every chance I can. I LOVE them! Great knives that are made for heavy use. The feeling of a user Randall is indescribable. That said, I have some early 60s Randall’s that belonged to my grandfather including a model 2 elephant ivory that will never see use under any circumstances see use. So like Capt. said it really does depend on the knife!

Sure would like to see a few pictures of the #2

Edited by ctdair (07/17/20 11:24 AM)
Edit Reason: Correct spelling

#189095 - 07/19/20 02:07 PM Re: Value of carry vs. collecting [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
I have more than a couple. There are some knives, no matter how much somebody yells & screams about RMKs are "built-to-use"...I, in quite a few cases disagree! Bo Randall & David Griffin walked me back to 4 large tables and on those tables lay all 300 RMK 50th anniversary commemoratives. I was given my choice, but knowing that only 38 were stamped with the "S" blade stamp, I really only had a choice of 38 knives.
I chose the absolute best piece of amber crown stag and then was given a low S/N to have etched on it. Afterwards, when the whole package was completed, I walked into Bo's office and had mine "personalized"!
There are some things that just "ain't" for sale and should "never" be used...I have a few more also. I guess. what I'm saying is: "It REALLY depends on the knife"!!
I also have about 3-4 dozen that I absolutely "use"!
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris

Seems like a couple years ago, Lori nearly bought that knife for $5. Remember?

#189097 - 07/19/20 06:37 PM Re: Value of carry vs. collecting [Re: Wally]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
Several times I have found a Randall way too nice to use, I guess everyone has a preference. Bought a few with custom wood and butt caps, found myself not fond of butt caps.

I see a 50th anniversary on ebay for a little over 4k I would probably be tempted to want to use it, no phone sheath, really nice grind, I bet it would be a wonderful slicer! Way too nice to interface with general utility objects.

#189174 - 07/25/20 10:53 PM Re: Value of carry vs. collecting [Re: GCTom41]
Hank Dodge Offline
Just dropped in

Loc: kalifornia
Originally Posted By: GCTom41
Hank,
I only have one EDC a tri-athelete handled in Black Palm that I always have with me.

Yes...I have a Triathlete as well that rides in my boot daily. It is such a light, strong, and handy little knife to have along. Really, it is about all the knife I would generally need.

#189175 - 07/25/20 11:34 PM Re: Value of carry vs. collecting [Re: Hank Dodge]
Mell73 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
ctdair Take a look at the Randall Picture forum. I just posted pics of the #2 earlier as well as a vintage #20 and Vintage #1
Case Collectors Club Member

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Mr_Mod