Clinton Knives Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186898 - 04/08/20 10:12 PM Re: Chrome plated blades? [Re: alan_grombacher]
rodbrown Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: alan_grombacher
So I understand the idea behind a chrome plated blade. But how did they work? Did sharpening ever cause loss of integrity of the chrome on the blades?

Curious about your experience with them. My experience with plated weapons is with my Colt detective special in .38 Special and a nickel plated Colt commander in .45 ACP. The plating on both is still nice. But I miss them, as they are with a bud in West Virginia.

Alan
There is an article about chrome bladed RMK in the RKS newsletter Issue 87 September 2010. If you don’t have access to the newsletters let me know. I will get the info to you.
Rod
Whether you think you can or can not, you are right.

#186899 - 04/08/20 11:29 PM Re: Chrome plated blades? [Re: rodbrown]
alan_grombacher Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Hey Rod,

Good catch. So, a loonie is the $1.00 CDN coin with a loon on the back of the coin. The $2.00 CND coin has a polar bear on the back of the coin. No loon but a bear, but a Toonie. We decided that having the coins “sing” - loonie and toonie was better than loonie and bear. Simple as that, eh.....

Alan

Originally Posted By: rodbrown
Originally Posted By: alan_grombacher
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the information. I was always curious about the chroming.

Now if they brought back the brass backs, I would have to save my loonies for one of those for sure.

Cheers,

Alan

Alan

You may have to explain loonies (and toonies) to our American, and other, friends!
RKS#5531

#186937 - 04/09/20 06:49 PM Re: Chrome plated blades? [Re: alan_grombacher]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
Are the toonies still bimetal? It's been a few years since I got my hands on one.

#186942 - 04/09/20 07:34 PM Re: Chrome plated blades? [Re: Windsor]
rodbrown Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Rob
It is bimetal. Silver coloured metal ?? on the outside and copper/brass coloured metal in
the middle.
Whether you think you can or can not, you are right.

#186962 - 04/10/20 07:57 AM Re: Chrome plated blades? [Re: rodbrown]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Side note; The company I worked for was a leader in many areas of metallurgy. The Treasury had them develop the alloys and the process for welding them together to make the sandwich coins that became the U.S. fiat money to replace silver coins.

Somehow, I doubt that these replacement coins will ever be truly collectible--although a lady who worked for me saved a safety deposit box full of the state quarters! She should have put the money into stocks.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Mr_Mod