Clinton Knives Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185494 - 01/22/20 12:06 PM Re: Demographics of our club. [Re: alan_grombacher]
escapement Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Virginia
58 here. No Facebook. Ever.
Not much on Twitter. Not much into "social media."
But lots of texts and WhatsApp.
Love my WWW though and watch way too many YouTube videos about things I never realized I was interested in -- Google/ YouTube knew better.
Gary

#185503 - 01/22/20 04:58 PM Re: Demographics of our club. [Re: escapement]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Thank you all for responding. What did we learn......we need more kids in the hobby. How do we do that? I have no idea.
RKS#2166

#185505 - 01/22/20 09:37 PM Re: Demographics of our club. [Re: Ronnie]
nate-dogg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Sunflower State
Originally Posted By: Ronnie
Thank you all for responding. What did we learn......we need more kids in the hobby. How do we do that? I have no idea.

If most kids use Instagram, then an Instagram account seems like it would help lure in a younger crowd. After the 50, 60, 70, 80 year old Randall fans pass away, will the 6 year wait drop in half? Will there eventually be a wait time measured in weeks or months opposed to years? Just thinking out loud.

#185507 - 01/22/20 10:55 PM Re: Demographics of our club. [Re: nate-dogg]
Sharpi Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Sharpi here
Accumulated 15 years
Social media is the way to reach em
I guess I'll post some on Pinetress
The thing that drew me on was the Heros that took the knives to battle and the woods
First was the Bird and Trout The Gary Powers story
Got the Pistol too
I spent many hours at the Museum studying the stories of Men and Women who used them all over this world and in Space
The six year wait gives an opportunity to celebrate
I lived 5 years for my 60th Birthday
and that Smithsonian is sweet
But knives are somewhat available thru the Great Dealer network
and also collectors selling
And stories of sleeping in my truck to get a knife
A knife that is a one off ordered years ago by someone wanting something special who for whatever reason never got to see it
We need to see more stories of the knives used in modern day battles and adventure expeditions
We need to give them what they want in their world
Sharpi

I recently saw a Model T put together in 6 minutes
Acres of old Tractors Iron Idolized by old guys
and a beat up Mustang GT sell for 3.4 million $$
So What!

#185509 - 01/22/20 11:57 PM Re: Demographics of our club. [Re: Sharpi]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Sharpi....me too on the military aspect of Randall Knives. My first catalog was in 1979. I read that thing so many times. Inside and out. Every word. In fact I still have that catalog. I was fascinated by the military history of a homemade knife from Orlando, Fla.
Nate-dogg I have the same question after all us old guys are gone. Good question. I hope Randall Knives lives on for many generations to come.
RKS#2166

#185510 - 01/23/20 01:16 AM Re: Demographics of our club. [Re: Ronnie]
Kirko Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ladue,Missouri
I think sometimes Randall is anachroism and then immediately think what better reason there is to own one. They're great !

#185511 - 01/23/20 04:13 AM Re: Demographics of our club. [Re: Kirko]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
Friends, these numbers scare me. Instagram, facebook, etc. it’s certainly beautiful, but after a couple of months there’s almost no found information there, unlike the forum. Forum is knowledge and experience that are laid out on shelves, Instagram is rather a large barn where everything can be buried under the following layers of trash. If a server crashes accidentally, where is the forum and all the information with photos stored, does anyone have a full backup? If someone have, then need at least 3 different people to have it (in different parts of the country), so that if some kind of disaster occurs, then 1 or 2 others have information left and can restore again. We did this with one of our forums, it is in the form of an archive, but photos unfortunately still disappear sometimes.

#185513 - 01/23/20 09:23 AM Re: Demographics of our club. [Re: desert.snake]
LarryWW1246 Online
Knife Enthusiast

Desert Snake has a good point...

How much of the legacy of this Forum is gone or inaccessible already?

It looks as if the content has been pared down, but there was a lot of significant information accumulated over the years. Some of it will not be duplicated again.

Maybe the older stuff can be reached here, but my impression is that it cannot. Consider how far back a search can be run. If I am wrong about this and just need to learn how to access the "ancient" stuff, that is OK.

Apart from whatever drivel we might have created over past years, the really good stuff is still worth keeping. If we hope that coming generations will appreciate the knives, we might provide them with a full record and all the reasons for doing so.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#185515 - 01/23/20 10:36 AM Re: Demographics of our club. [Re: LarryWW1246]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
The forum goes back pretty far Instagram isnt really designed to be like a forum but its handy for posting neat photos where as you cannot search a photo as it's not in text.

Looking back at some stuff on here I already see a few members that are no longer with us. Post em while you got em and use em while you got them!

#185516 - 01/23/20 01:18 PM Re: Demographics of our club. [Re: Leatherman]
LarryWW1246 Online
Knife Enthusiast

When I do an Advanced Search, it only allows going back three years.

This prevents access to all the stuff that came before.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod