Clinton Knives Nifeboy.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183502 - 09/18/19 09:58 AM Re: New to me Randall Knife [Re: Michael_Mason]
JE6245 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tallahassee FL
Nicely done Lori! That provenance really adds a lot for that knife. Pretty cool knife overall. Looks like one that was actually put to good use but still in nice condition. Although a "mint" version of that knife would have a higher dollar value, to me this knife is much more interesting and "real". Congrats on acquiring that one Tim and thanks for sharing.

“If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.” – Yogi Berra

Me 2020

#183503 - 09/18/19 10:17 AM Re: New to me Randall Knife [Re: LarryWW1246]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: LarryWW1246
Tim--

If you plan to keep the knife, maybe use the process that Grady McCotter used to clean and preserve the sheath.

He wrote it up, and I think it is posted someplace on this forum.

I also could email it to you if you PM me your email address.

Larry

With all due respect to Grady, I have seen too many sheaths he worked on that "needed" nothing, and the sheaths were sometimes ruined. Became soft, stitching loosened, leather weak and became dark in color. In the end, the "treatment" was a detriment, not a savior.

The only time I would even consider something like that is if a sheath suffered from extreme dry rot.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#183510 - 09/18/19 03:22 PM Re: New to me Randall Knife [Re: crutchtip]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Crutch--

The only reason I referred to Grady is because he became something of the "go to" among RMK people.

I try to avoid adding anything to a sheath that might soften it. It is not nearly as protective against cut-through if it is weakened, soggy, limp.

The sheath in this thread looks pretty good, maybe a bit of cleaning to the surface and maybe a coat of wax to seal the smooth surfaces. Do nothing to the rough leather.

I am trying to renovate a Seguine sheath currently that got something put into it that softened it a bit as far as I can tell. Cleaned it, now letting it fully dry in the "warm" garage, then just a good coat of paste wax on it to seal it and hopefully firm it up a bit.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#183516 - 09/18/19 06:06 PM Re: New to me Randall Knife [Re: Michael_Mason]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

"I've never known these 2 gentlemen to be Randall dealers. I've always thought they were very good acquaintances, customers of Randall.
Have I missed, or overlooked this subject somehow?"

Gaddis mentions Ward Gay ordering up to 12 of his specials at one time. It's known that Bish built a good number of "kit" knives too. That may not mean they were actually dealers, in the strictest definition. I guess perhaps the description of them as a "source" for Randall knives would be better. ? Maybe ?

#183517 - 09/18/19 06:25 PM Re: New to me Randall Knife [Re: crutchtip]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
I totally agree with Joe on this. I wanted to say something but every time I say something I usually get chewed out but bottom line is that sheath definitely did not need a Grady make over.
RKS#2166

#183518 - 09/18/19 08:37 PM Re: New to me Randall Knife [Re: LarryWW1246]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Larry -

I don't disagree, allot of folks sent sheaths in, but again, the majority of sheaths sent for "treatment" did not need anything done to preserve them.

It is not unlike cleaning a knife. It is only original once.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#183525 - 09/19/19 08:07 AM Re: New to me Randall Knife [Re: crutchtip]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL.
Originally Posted By: crutchtip
allot of folks sent sheaths in, but again, the majority of sheaths sent for "treatment" did not need anything done to preserve them.

Sent a Model 16 sheath to him before I knew better, wished I had not. I let it sit in the shed for a month afterwards, to try and let the cigarette smell go away.

#183531 - 09/19/19 11:41 AM Re: New to me Randall Knife [Re: Tim McClure]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: USA
I love threads like this. Cool knife, Tim.
RKS #4233

#183549 - 09/19/19 06:27 PM Re: New to me Randall Knife [Re: TAH]
Tim McClure Offline
Just dropped in

Loc: Oregon
Thanks everybody!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Mr_Mod