Nifeboy.com Randall Knife Collectors Club
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183478 - 09/17/19 07:46 PM Re: New to me Randall Knife [Re: Wally]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Yes I believe the sheath is a Heiser also.
RKS#2166

#183479 - 09/17/19 08:02 PM Re: New to me Randall Knife [Re: Tim McClure]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Tim--

If you plan to keep the knife, maybe use the process that Grady McCotter used to clean and preserve the sheath.

He wrote it up, and I think it is posted someplace on this forum.

I also could email it to you if you PM me your email address.

I probably would not get the knife cleaned up since it carries honest age patina. That includes leaving the original owner's name on it. At most, maybe just use metal polish on the brass, but that is a personal choice and might not be necessary since I don't see any green verdigris on it.

But if you plan to sell it, maybe just leave everything "as is" and let the next owner decide just how much cleaning he might want to do.

Lucky find.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#183480 - 09/17/19 08:47 PM Re: New to me Randall Knife [Re: rigid54]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Hugh Wright (now deceased), who's "job" it was at the Randall shop was to inventory and received sheaths from Heiser and Maurice Johnson (starting in 1960) told me Heiser (and I quote) "Never" had a Randall stamp. I believe him. Hugh also stated that he saw Maurice Johnson in the Randall shop 1-2 years before Gary started working in the shop, upon his graduation. It's a JRB. Even the leather and stitching look correct for an even later JRB.
Just sayin', Capt. Chris
PS: I know I'll get crucified for this entry but it didn't come from me folks...CCS
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#183485 - 09/17/19 10:34 PM Re: New to me Randall Knife [Re: Tim McClure]
Lori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: South Carolina
Could this be the original owner? Obituary found in google...

OBITUARY
Frederic Seller Hirsch
OCTOBER 5, 1937 – FEBRUARY 24, 2019
Obituary of Frederic Seller Hirsch
Frederic Seller Hirsch, age 81, of Lake Oswego, Oregon passed away at home on Sunday February 24, 2019. Frederic was born October 5, 1937 in New York City, New York. He was adopted from a Jewish orphanage at the age of 3. Not much is known about his birth parents. His mother’s last name was Rothman and his father was reportedly Irish. Fred came to be adopted by Harold Seller Hirsch, President and CEO of the White Stag Mfg. Co. He and his wife later adopted a little girl from a Jewish Orphanage in Chicago who became Fred’s sister. Growing up Fred was always surrounded by dogs and horses, instilling in him a love for animals.

Fred graduated high school and went on to complete 4 years of college at Portland State. He became a successful investor. Fred was a veteran of the Coast Guard. He served from March 3, 1959 to March 1, 1963. Fred belonged to numerous organizations such as the Portland Art Museum and the Japanese Gardens (his father was a huge benefactor of the aforementioned and Fred followed in his footsteps). Fred and his entire family belonged to Temple Beth Israel. Fred also served with Meals on Wheels for many years which he enjoyed doing very much. It was in his nature to reach out and help people in need.

Fred was a collector of fine art of all kinds; paintings, ancient Chinese and Japanese works, Native American pieces, sculptures, panels, carvings, tables, cabinets, etc. Fred enjoyed performing arts as well and liked to attend the theatre. He was a devoted fly fisherman and even made his own flies. Fred also collected fine guns, but he was NOT a hunter. He won numerous medals for target shooting as well as marksmanship. Fred was also an avid car buff, especially interested in high powered European sports cars, up until he was in his 70’s! Then he had to tone it down a bit.

Fred met Kim while he was outside one day. She walked by with her Doberman and the normally protective dog immediately took a liking to Fred. Kim would stop by and help tidy Fred’s Japanese garden. He tried to pay her but she never accepted the money. One evening she invited him over for dinner and cooked the one recipe she knew. Normally Kim’s cooking required a call to the fire department but everything went brilliantly and the two ended up getting married. They had two beautiful wedding ceremonies. Rabbi Emanuel Rose presided over the service on May 6, 2005 at the couple’s home in Fairmont Heights. It was a wonderful wedding but so many other friends and family wanted to attend that couldn’t make, it so they rented the Portland Sternwheeler and sent out a second invite. The Captain of the ship married them again in a more ceremonial setting; this allowed all of their friends and family to take part. Fred and Kim were married for 14 years and were very happy.

Kim opened up a whole new world to Fred. He had always loved dogs but he especially wanted to have a cat. Kim was an all-breed cat judge and gifted Fred a top winning Scottish Fold male kitten. He said it was the best present he ever had. The kitten’s name was Starrpawz Gladiator, but Fred nicknamed him Riley. One of the requirements of owning this kitten was that he would have to be shown across the country. Fred had a little fear of flying but off he went, “A Man and His Cat.” His kitten became one of the top national winning kittens in the country. He was so proud when he went up on stage at the Annual Meeting where the awards were given out at the Cat Fanciers Assoc. Inc. Annual Awards Banquet. He was so thrilled with this kitten that Kim arranged to get another Scottish Fold male kitten for him. The second Fold kitten was named Starrpawz Moo-ver and he became a national winner too. He was better known as Moo-Vee. Fred also had a beautiful black Standard Poodle named Nevermore Gucci which he called Max. Fred and Max played ball every day. Max followed Fred everywhere he went. When those three wonderful animals passed away it was decided they would be cremated and put into beautiful walnut receptacles with their photos and a brass plate telling about each of them. It was Fred’s wish that when his time came that all three of these beautiful animals be buried with him, and they will be, so they can be together for all of eternity.

Everyone loved Fred and he will be greatly missed. His legacy and love will live on in the hearts of those who knew him.

A celebration of life service for Frederic will be held Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 2:00 PM at Skyline Memorial Gardens Funeral Home, 4101 NW Skyline Blvd, Portland, Oregon 97229.

Fond memories and expressions of sympathy may be shared at www.skylinememorialgardens.com for the family.

SEE LESS
Generic floral icon for Dignity Memorial
SEND FLOWERS
ADD A MEMORY
RECEIVE NOTIFICATIONS
Services
A Celebration of Life Service Thursday, March 21, 2019
RECEIVE NOTIFICATIONS
SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
Memories
Frederic Seller Hirsch
ALL MEMORIES FROM THE FAMILY
SEND FLOWERS
FROM THE FAMILY
Obituary of Frederic Seller Hirsch
IN THE CARE OF

Skyline Memorial Gardens Funeral Home
Portland, OR
503-292-6611

#183486 - 09/17/19 10:43 PM Re: New to me Randall Knife [Re: Lori]
Lori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: South Carolina
Since the gentleman from the obituary was in the Coast Guard '59-'63, and since there's a Coast Guard base on Kodiak Island in the gulf of Alaska, I think it's likely the knife's original owner! Good possibility he purchased the knife from Ward Gay or Tommy Bish, both Randall dealers during that time.

Edited by Lori (09/17/19 11:16 PM)

#183487 - 09/17/19 11:34 PM Re: New to me Randall Knife [Re: Lori]
Tim McClure Offline
Just dropped in

Loc: Oregon
I bet this is the former owner, Lake Oswego is less than 100 miles from where I live. An real outdoorsman owned this knife, and the Kodiak connection makes sense. White Stag was a quality outdoor gear MFG, in the 50's 60's and 70's, in Portland,Oregon. I spent many an expedition fishing the Dean River in British Columbia in a White Stag tent with my dad. The Knife had an auction tag on it when it came to me. Thanks for the help and info, and warm welcome to the forum.

Thanks, Tim

#183488 - 09/18/19 12:31 AM Re: New to me Randall Knife [Re: Tim McClure]
Shoot870p Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Lori, that was an excellent catch. Looks like he was the owner for sure!
Walker

#183490 - 09/18/19 03:54 AM Re: New to me Randall Knife [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
The butterfly stitching does not look like Johnson. It definitely looks like Heiser.
It is a Heiser HKL Sheath.
RKS#2166

#183494 - 09/18/19 06:47 AM Re: New to me Randall Knife [Re: Tim McClure]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL.
Knife & sheath in topic:

Attachments
------R_1.jpg

------R_8.jpg

------R_4.jpg

Edited by Michael_Mason (09/18/19 06:48 AM)

#183495 - 09/18/19 07:00 AM Re: New to me Randall Knife [Re: Lori]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL.
Originally Posted By: Lori
Good possibility he purchased the knife from Ward Gay or Tommy Bish, both Randall dealers during that time.

I've never known these 2 gentlemen to be Randall dealers. I've always thought they were very good acquaintances, customers of Randall.
Have I missed, or overlooked this subject somehow?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod