dominionhobby.com Nifeboy.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 69 of 111 < 1 2 ... 67 68 69 70 71 ... 110 111 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192378 - 02/17/21 01:45 AM Re: How's Your Weather? [Re: Shoot870p]
RUTROW Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: TX

Attachments
------de-icing-wind-turbines.jpg

------tumblr_1cc2a800569e3b2c6de8041c5782d398_9d7d2f92_540.jpg

#192379 - 02/17/21 02:32 AM Re: How's Your Weather? [Re: RUTROW]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Totally ironic.
Something shared from a friend of mine:

Sweet so here’s what I have gathered so far about the Texas power situation...

1. Wind power was reduced by as much as 50% beginning this weekend from freezing
2. The power lines and delivery mechanisms have not been the predominant issue... not CenterPoints fault
3. A large number of the the standby power generation facilities (coal and nat gas) where not winterized properly and not on stand by... failed to come on.
4. We lost half the nuclear power at STP from frozen pipes (unverified on reason but given by many sources)... meaning that winterization wasn’t good enough there. Reactor 1 is down since early yesterday
5. Many of the natural gas facilities in Texas are not equipped with dual capabilities to use heating fuel oil when natural gas supply is low
6. We did not had a heating fuel stock pile to back up the natural gas
7. The decision was made to divert natural gas to homes which in turn caused shortages to the power generation... circle of failure
8. The natural gas facilities couldn’t keep running at full capacity to clean up the supplies causing wells to shut in. Adding to the natural gas issues

ERCOT is a non profit good ol boys club.... doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see with the above that they clearly have no business managing the grid with the current leadership

Why were the independent power generation facilities not on standby and ready?

Why did we not have contingencies ready for wind and solar shortages which we know happen in winter?

Why were the facilities not winterized?

I have so many questions... that I doubt we will ever get straight answers to. &#128545;&#128545;

Redundancy... over sight... accountability...

ERCOT board should be removed, contracts taken from independent power plants that were not on standby. For every 1% of wind or solar the grid relies on you must have a redundant amount of reliable replacement energy source. We apparently learned nothing from 1989.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#192390 - 02/17/21 01:10 PM Re: How's Your Weather? [Re: pappy19]
Sidney_Redford Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Ridge Mtns. Va.
Pappy I agree with you. As far as our weather goes, we finally got some sunshine yesterday and this morning, but is starting to cloud up and they are calling for snow and freezing rain to night, we will just have to wait and see. Just heard some sad news, Rush died this morning, I will miss him, as will many others.
RKS #84 NRA Life. Shag # 11

#192392 - 02/17/21 01:38 PM Re: How's Your Weather? [Re: Sidney_Redford]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Yes, I just saw that about Rush passing. Very sad day. Stay warm.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#192395 - 02/17/21 04:39 PM Re: How's Your Weather? [Re: pappy19]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lake Fork, East Texas
So far, so good! Wood Stove is keeping us at 70 degrees during the day.

We turned on the Central Heat for about 2 minutes the other night, but it stunk and my Bride said to turn it OFF.

So, at night, we employ the "Green New Deal". We throw a big green log in the stove and it burns all night long!

Ricky keeps my feet warm and Ruby keeps my Bride's feet warm.

This "freeze" is of HISTORICAL proportion! There are MANY things that I wish I had done to get ready for it, and I will before the next one. We just never could have imagined such!

The ERCOT people were probably appointed during Rick Perry's 15 years of reign along with the Texas stand alone grid. Wind energy is only about 10% of our power and most of that is way out in West Texas.

Lignite Coal plants were created from Federal subsidies in the late 70s and 80s and have NEVER been very profitable.

We have an almost UNLIMITED supply of Natural Gas but Governor Bill Clements made NG politically incorrect behind oil & lignite during the same time period. The Big Time oil people just can't get over it.

Off subject, but NO 2 people have ever HATED teachers more than Rick Perry and Bill Clements did!

Anyhow, here are some pictures of the Blalock place during the Freeze of 2021. Enjoy!

Attachments
------Truck.gif

------Front Yard.gif

------Wood Pile.gif

------5 below zero.gif

------Stove.gif

------Ricky Asleep.gif

------Ruby.gif

#192408 - 02/17/21 09:48 PM Re: How's Your Weather? [Re: coachblalock]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Wow Coach, frost on the pumpkin won't mean the same anymore. Spring is just around the corner.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#192410 - 02/17/21 10:05 PM Re: How's Your Weather? [Re: pappy19]
Shoot870p Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Coach, glad the wood stove is holding y'all well. Pap is right, Spring is near!
Walker

#192422 - 02/18/21 10:36 AM Re: How's Your Weather? [Re: Shoot870p]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
Coach,
What! No blankeys for the dogs!!!!!!!!!

Glad to see that the wood stove is doing it's job.

Sure hope that this mess clears up soon for you folks.

More aggw due for today and tomorrow here.

I really don't expect to see spring (or my lawn) until about July the way things are going.

Haven't been into the squirrel woods for weeks now. Not much fun wading through thigh deep snow.

Wayne

#192427 - 02/18/21 11:42 AM Re: How's Your Weather? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lake Fork, East Texas
Wayne:

For some reason, these dogs will not stand for a blanket!

They can be sound asleep, you put a towel on them, and they will jump up and shed it quick.

We have been able to keep the place warm enough so they don’t need it.

I have burnt a bunch of firewood!

Coach

#192428 - 02/18/21 12:50 PM Re: How's Your Weather? [Re: coachblalock]
Sidney_Redford Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Ridge Mtns. Va.
Coach so glad that you have the wood stove. I also have a nice wood stove that I only use when the power goes out, use to keep it going all the time in the winter, but then I was able to cut and split my wood by myself, no longer able to do some of the things I use to do. I had some dogs that if you tried to put a cover on them they would jump up and run into another room. I sure hope y'all get some relief soon.
RKS #84 NRA Life. Shag # 11

Page 69 of 111 < 1 2 ... 67 68 69 70 71 ... 110 111 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod