Randall Made Knife
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 10 of 16 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172535 - 06/29/18 07:53 PM Re: Knife Of The Week Model 17 * [Re: Holzinger258]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
The newer Model #17's, despite rounds of disapproval here, were an improved version of the more subtle design on earlier models. The purpose was to afford an extremely "safe" usage with the Astronaut's "Space Gloves" on. They could press down on the back spline and the front "notched area" would prevent their gloved hand from slipping down on the tip.
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#174120 - 09/02/18 08:16 PM Re: Knife Of The Week Model 17 [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
freeman1901 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

After seeing the controversy surrounding the new movie about Neil Armstrong, "First Man" where they leave out the planting of the American flag...I revisited the Model 17 Astro thread. I don't quite understand your post Capt Chris when you state

" were an improved version of the more subtle design on earlier models. The purpose was to afford an extremely "safe" usage with the Astronaut's "Space Gloves" on. They could press down on the back spline and the front "notched area" would prevent their gloved hand from slipping down on the tip.
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris"

I thought the catalog Astro was made as a Replica of the original knives used in project Mercury. Your statement seems to indicate that research and development is still going on with this knife. Is NASA planning on using this knife in future manned missions?

I too would have thought that Randall would have kept to the original look of that early 1960's Astro with the contoured top clip. It seems odd that it seemed to evolve in design when it was catalogued as a Replica.

In the 1985 catalog it seems to have that "harpoon" look to the top spine. Then in the 1988 catalog the term "replica" was dropped. It's just interesting that it was offered as a Replica of the knives that made history, but they continued to evolve. I guess it makes those early ones that people own more special.

#174126 - 09/02/18 11:00 PM Re: Knife Of The Week Model 17 [Re: freeman1901]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Exactly right Freeman 1901.
RKS#2166

#174127 - 09/02/18 11:08 PM Re: Knife Of The Week Model 17 [Re: Abercenfi]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Abercenfi

I just realized that if you grind that little kink off you would have a blade that closely resembled the old humpbacks. Grind it at an angle and it would be perfect. Then it would look close to the originals. Can someone here do that with photoshop on the knife pictured here?
RKS#2166

#174128 - 09/02/18 11:45 PM Re: Knife Of The Week Model 17 [Re: Holzinger258]
freeman1901 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

That Astro you posted Ronnie has a very pronounced cutout on the top. It looks like the upside down longer choil of that knife.
Is that your Astro pictured? I would like to make it to the Randall museum and see the Gordon Cooper Astro that was presented back to Mr Randall.

Edited by freeman1901 (09/02/18 11:47 PM)

#174131 - 09/03/18 01:39 AM Re: Knife Of The Week Model 17 [Re: freeman1901]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
If you just cut the top (and it becomes like a #16), then there will not be a cutting edge on the top view. Then you have to redo the upper blade, it's already harder to replicate the original finish + it takes a lot of skill to remove the painted metal neatly, 1 mistake and knife is spoiled (outwardly, for work it still suits).

p.s.
I took one of the photos of the old Astro of one of the members here to show the difference. I hope he does not mind, if not, I will delete the photo and apologize.

p.p.s.
I think I understand why the word replica was used for a while, the original had a very large guard and for non-astronauts it would be very uncomfortable (If only a person is not fond of medieval weapons and uses it))

Attachments
------sdf.jpg

------cut.jpg

------sf.jpg

#174132 - 09/03/18 01:40 AM Re: Knife Of The Week Model 17 [Re: freeman1901]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

No that’s the Astro posted earlier. I would not own one like that.....unless it was given to me. Then I would do as I stated. I would grind that awful tit off.
RKS#2166

#174133 - 09/03/18 02:00 AM Re: Knife Of The Week Model 17 [Re: Ronnie]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
https://www.randallmadeknife.com/1993-knives-illustrated/
here on the first photo there is this form of harpoon

Attachments
------sff.jpg

#174134 - 09/03/18 08:34 AM Re: Knife Of The Week Model 17 [Re: desert.snake]
freeman1901 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Ronnie, I think the picture that desert snake posted of the modern Astro was photo shopped to take that offset down to make it look like the older Astro.

It's obvious that Mr Randall was ok with the evolution and update of the blade. It was done while he was still in charge, so who am I to say.
What throws me off I think is that it was marketed from the start as a "replica" and we know the definition of the word.

rep·li·ca
&#712;repl&#601;k&#601;/Submit
noun
an exact copy or model of something, especially one on a smaller scale.

It's ironic that most of the other models are more replicas of the earliest models of themselves than the Astro which was sold as a replica.

It would be cool to be able to order an Astro with a model 16 grind. It would be closer to the original Astro. Without the sawteeth of course.

Richard

#174135 - 09/03/18 09:10 AM Re: Knife Of The Week Model 17 [Re: freeman1901]
freeman1901 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Does anyone know when Randall started putting the offset on the spine? Looking at the catalogs, they used the same photo from the beginning until the 26th printing in 1982, then a new photo in 27th printing 1985 with the offset on the spine. The 27th printing, 1985 was the last time that the "replica" reference was used.

It's just odd that Capt Chris noted that:

"The newer Model #17's, despite rounds of disapproval here, were an improved version of the more subtle design on earlier models."

I read in Mr Gaddis' book that the Mercury Astronaut Gordon Cooper was involved in the design with Mr Randall, and the knives that went into space "WAS the improved version" of earlier designs that Mr Gaddis' illustrated.
To make design adjustments after the fact of history just doesn't make sense, coupled with the claim of it being marketed as a replica.
I agree with you Ronnie, the early version, the replica is the one I would have. From what I have read, the early replica began changing on both the blade and handle in the mid to late '60's right? The late '60's the blade began to look more like a model 15 to me. Did they leave the top edge dull, like the original, or did they start sharpening? Then on the handle butt end they began to square off a former rounded end.
Have you seen any of the early replicas for sale? I think that will be on my dream list. Do you own one Ronnie?
Thanks
Richard

Page 10 of 16 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod