Miles Swelze Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#170740 - 04/30/18 08:34 PM Re: What's For Dinner? [Re: pappy19]
pappy19 Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Eric
I just bought some Gordo beans, and will try and compare. Thanks for the tip.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#170798 - 05/02/18 10:06 AM Re: What's For Dinner? [Re: pappy19]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
Have a neighbor that believes a feller only needs one dutch oven just like he only needs one knife, and one gun.
Yep
Molon Labe

#170803 - 05/02/18 11:58 AM Re: What's For Dinner? [Re: BladesNBarrels]
pappy19 Online
Knife Enthusiast

If you only wanted or needed 1 Dutch oven, it should be a #8 , which is also the most common size, at least in the Griswold choices. On the other hand, I have #6-10, but when cooking for a group, I use the #9. I'm keeping the #10, just because I like it. Another item getting scarce are the Griswold trivets in each of the sizes.
Trivets could add as much as $100 to the price of a Dutch oven. Antique cast iron cookware is one of the few antiques that when used, doesn't affect their value.

Pap

Edited by pappy19 (05/02/18 12:01 PM)
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#170807 - 05/02/18 01:13 PM Re: What's For Dinner? [Re: pappy19]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
Don't have any dutch ovens, but I have a good suite of cast iron skillets. The second-to-largest (10" dia, a.k.a. "three hamburger patty" size) has been used enough that the bottom is a glass smooth finish.

I'm always amazed at the amount of BS floating around the internet about "proper care of your cast iron". Nearly all of them are "Do not use soap!" levels of crazy, usually a detailed complex ritual with warnings of ruining your skillet (hahaha).

I wash them by hand, with soap, towel dry, and season as needed. Same process as my grandparents, who were sticklers for taking care of cookware.

#170817 - 05/02/18 04:45 PM Re: What's For Dinner? [Re: Windsor]
pappy19 Online
Knife Enthusiast

I'm in the "never use soap" bunch, nor do I cook any tomato sauces in my cast iron. Takes off the seasoning. To each his own, regardless, cooking with cast iron is the best.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#170819 - 05/02/18 05:09 PM Re: What's For Dinner? [Re: pappy19]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

We do extend a bit of abuse to the biggest skillet. Some days when we're having guests over for steak'n'potatoes, we'll load the skillet up with potato chunks seasoned up and toss it on the grill for 10-15mins, turning the potatoes over every 3-5mins.

The skillet comes off of the grill so hot I've ruined one set of hot pads and am working on ruining another set. side note: need to buy some nomex hot pads.

Anyway, the heat from the lump charcoal in the grill takes the seasoning right off. We just re-apply after each time we do this.

Not that much different from dropping your dutch oven straight into the campfire.

#170823 - 05/02/18 06:19 PM Re: What's For Dinner? [Re: Windsor]
pappy19 Online
Knife Enthusiast

When I find a piece of well used cast iron that is real crusty, I put it n my oven and run the self cleaning program. Takes it down to the bare metal, just dust. Then I wash it with SOS pads, rinse and put back in the oven at 300 for an hour. I then brush inside and out with crisco, then upside down back in the oven at 300 for about 2 hours, then turn off the oven and let cool in the oven. Now you have a seasoned cast iron piece, ready to use. Some use EasyOff with lye, but I prefer the oven method.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#170825 - 05/02/18 07:22 PM Re: What's For Dinner? [Re: pappy19]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

We season ours with high-temp vegetable-based cooking oil.

Not all that different from using Crisco like you described.

Oven method sounds safer, no need for caustic chemicals.

#170836 - 05/03/18 09:26 AM Re: What's For Dinner? [Re: Windsor]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
I use Lodge cast iron products and basically use the warm water no soap cleaning method.

I have had no problems by using this method but I think the basic thing is regardless of how your take care of cast iron cookware is to be certain to always have it seasoned.

I have used cast iron for so long ( I am very old) that I basically cannot use any other type of cookware.

Wayne

#170837 - 05/03/18 11:12 AM Re: What's For Dinner? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Wayne Dengler
I think the basic thing is regardless of how your take care of cast iron cookware is to be certain to always have it seasoned.

I agree completely.

Originally Posted By: Wayne Dengler
I have used cast iron for so long ( I am very old) that I basically cannot use any other type of cookware.

We have one non-cast-iron skillet, it's a big stainless steel affair with a 3/8" thick (!!) stainless "pad" on the bottom. So basically, it cooks similar to cast iron skillet of similar size. smile It has taller walls, so we use it when we need the extra volume. Otherwise, cast iron please.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod