Clinton Knives Stanback Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171862 - 06/14/18 05:39 PM Which knife to use, or not use
gratefuljed Offline
Knife Enthusiast

So I'm pretty new to Randall but the thought of not using my knives is kind of beyond me. I have an older 80's 18 and a newer Buxton fighter. Both are in great shape and have not been used. I'm not hunting with them rather just a camp/utility kind of thing. If I had to put one in the do not use catagory which one would that be? I guess part of the question is which one is more desirable in unused shape further on up the road? Thanks for reading, nice forum!

May as well kill some more birds with this one thread maybe, but I want to order a knife for each of my three sons. They would be more inclined to store and not use. Which model/models should I get them? Thanks y'all,

#171863 - 06/14/18 06:15 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: gratefuljed]
Tattoo Bill Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Spring Hill, Florida
Pass those two on instead of using them for camp knives. Buy yourself some knives that are more suited for your intentions. Just my two cents.
ta2bill@yahoo.com

#171864 - 06/14/18 06:22 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Tattoo Bill]
gratefuljed Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks Bill, but why? Too expensive, or only made for survival or fighting?!

#171865 - 06/14/18 06:57 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: gratefuljed]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Bills point is based in the Buxton is a dealer special, so NOT a lot of them running around.

And #18's always old a special place for collectors, especially vintage ones.

Of the 2 the Buxton probably is the "better" camp user knife. But he also makes a good point in ordering 1 for yourself that would be better, probably a Model #5-6" or something along those lines. A great knife built for many chores.

Welcome to our forum, we are very happy to have you aboard!

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#171866 - 06/14/18 07:27 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: RamKingJC]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
I have extensive usage experience with many models. The Buxton being one of them. I thought it would be a better user than it actually was. It's been many years but if I remember right the blade was a bit light compared to the handle weight due to the large clip cut out and the extra Tang part so it did not chop very well nor did it baton wood very well due to the odd clip. The grind on the knife isn't particularly great for carving or prep either as it's a bit wide kind of like a 14 or 15. The reason I was attracted to the Buxton is that the border patrol handle is the best shape handle you can get.

I did carry around a 18 for a short while but they are extremely heavy and worse yet they are super wide in the handle so they stick out like crazy and that metal is cold as ice when it touches you

The very best Randall for actual all around woods use is a 5-6 with border patrol micarta and a wrist thong. I actually have one on it's way to me that I'm probably selling it's also got stainless and a nickel single hilt and waxed no hone C.

I have had the handle and blade separate on a 28 something I was always afraid of with the full Tang models but it never happened on my Buxton 16SF or 14 or 15. The hidden tang models can withstand way more abuse than you can imagine and you will damage the blade to where it's unusable before the tang breaks. Unless your going to pry something sideways the full Tang won't be stronger and in that event you would need a cheater bar to break the hidden tang I believe.

#171868 - 06/14/18 07:43 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
gratefuljed Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thank you all very much. I think I heard they are both kind of collectable and that the model 5 6" is a better knife for say, all around usage. Well, I'll just throw them in the safe and that will be that! The Buxton should be displayed though..
Thanks RamkingJC & Leatherman for the detailed answers and translations, and to you TB for pointing the way!

#171870 - 06/14/18 08:06 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: gratefuljed]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Part of the fun of Randall's is that they get you excited and they are cool so if using a 18 or Buxton is your thing go right ahead! I'm speaking purely from a functional standpoint. If it's all about functionality a Randall isn't really the best choice in general so use what you like!

#171873 - 06/14/18 08:12 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: gratefuljed]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: central fl.
The Buxton fighter was designed for this reason...to be a FIGHTER...

I know a local helicopter pilot who cut himself out of a down helicopter TWICE during Vietnam with his Model 18...

I'm glad to hear you'll "probably" be selling your new model 5 because of your decisions in the past of (your words) the abuse you put YOUR knives through... "Your knives" being the key words here, do as you wish with them but quit bitching when they "fail" because of you setting out to see just how much ABUSE they can take before they "fail"...

Frankly speaking here, I for one am not jumping for joy with YOUR return to these forums...

Scott
RKS #014

HE IS RISEN!, HE IS RISEN INDEED!

#171874 - 06/14/18 08:13 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I find that if you feel good with it in your hand, then you will feel good using it.
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#171877 - 06/14/18 08:49 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Dirty_Water]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Scott you are a asshole

Originally Posted By: Dirty_Water

I know a local helicopter pilot who cut himself out of a down helicopter TWICE during Vietnam with his Model 18...

I'm glad to hear you'll "probably" be selling your new model 5 because of your decisions in the past of (your words) the abuse you put YOUR knives through... "Your knives" being the key words here, do as you wish with them but quit bitching when they "fail" because of you setting out to see just how much ABUSE they can take before they "fail"...

Frankly speaking here, I for one am not jumping for joy with YOUR return to these forums...

Edited by Leatherman (06/14/18 08:52 PM)
Edit Reason: Punctuation

#171878 - 06/14/18 09:01 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

"If it's all about functionality a Randall isn't really the best choice in general"

What did you expect from a Randall forum when you start bashing RMK's? As you have for years...A red carpet welcome?

Scott
RKS #014

#171879 - 06/14/18 09:07 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Whoaaaaaaa....THATS uncalled for!

#171880 - 06/14/18 09:15 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Dirty_Water]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I just so happen to be lucky enough to have my own land that I can play around on. Yeah I have been into the outdoors since I could walk. Ever since my old uncle started giving me Knives around age 8 I was hooked. I had a sea bees knife on my hip daily at that age and I didn't abuse it! Later on when I discovered other makers claims like Busse combat etc of toughness that big knives got real popular as well as more of a one tool for every task idea got popular so I played around with a few knives and split some wood and what not.

I only ever dinked the blade once on a Randall and the 28 might have been a fluke.

You see in order to play with toys like guns and knives you need to have a few million dollars in land. I wouldn't have much of a outdoors hobby. The whole Bushcraft thing has gotten big but if you don't have real close access to public lands or own your own you aren't doing anything outdoors.

It's the same thing with guys talking guns. I actually carry my guns I carry my fn scar on my shoulder through tall grass and brush but weekend range guys don't understand things like that.

#171881 - 06/14/18 09:17 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
@Leatherman

Now, now kids no need for name calling.
But seriously, (no offence) but if you think a Randall isn't functional, why do you buy them?
Admit it, you know they are good knives and you love the way they look laugh
I am having my Smithsonian on my lap. I never have seen a knife that impressive! The same applies for the 12-9. Then that classic look of the model 1, man I love Randall's. For the money, taking in account that they are hand forged, they are not that expensive. Sure, there must be some high tech super duper new knives out there, that will outperform a Randall, but Randall wouldn't have existed 80 years if there knives where just to be looked at.

#171882 - 06/14/18 09:22 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Sphinx3000]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Modern Scandi grinds cut wood like nobody's business that and a good axe your pretty much set for wilderness useage. The 5-6 is more of a smaller one tool for every task kind of knife. Really the whole subject is really complicated and one tool can't do everything

#171883 - 06/14/18 09:26 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: RamKingJC]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
Well,

Here we go ... again.

Name calling. Not mature. Not helpful. Not needed.

This is why you were not missed.

To the Gentleman who started this post, you'll find many opinions here MOST of them helpful.
Nothing wrong with having a "safe queen" or two.
I do. Many of us do. And we have our favorite users.
#5 is Great for the woods. So is the #3, #4,#8, #7, #26,
#28 (Great!),#23.
...So many models, so little time! grin

Please feel free to continue to ask advise of us who LOVE Randall Knives!

Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#171884 - 06/14/18 09:32 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Sphinx3000]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The 5-6 setup the way I like it is pretty close. A 14 is a nice one tool option if you have the setting for it. I would say the 5-6 is as perfect as it gets in the Randall catalog.

The sheaths are perfect a very much over looked aspect.

I haven't cleaned enough deer to know much about a game knife other than it gets real nasty and slippery hah.

Originally Posted By: Sphinx3000
@Leatherman

Now, now kids no need for name calling.
But seriously, (no offence) but if you think a Randall isn't functional, why do you buy them?
Admit it, you know they are good knives and you love the way they look laugh
I am having my Smithsonian on my lap. I never have seen a knife that impressive! The same applies for the 12-9. Then that classic look of the model 1, man I love Randall's. For the money, taking in account that they are hand forged, they are not that expensive. Sure, there must be some high tech super duper new knives out there, that will outperform a Randall, but Randall wouldn't have existed 80 years if there knives where just to be looked at.

#171885 - 06/14/18 09:32 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Buy a few different brand an types of knives and an ax, problem solved!

#171886 - 06/14/18 09:33 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
I don't know, but I used my Model 5-5" for 20 years for every thing at camp, fishing, hunting and home duties. I have no doubt it would take care of an enemy as well. To each his own. Randall makes a knife design for any pleasure. Heck, most every Randall could be used for any service or use.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#171887 - 06/14/18 09:38 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
Tom Vaught Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
I post rarely these days (as retired now and doing a lot of other things with my life besides playing with knives in the woods as a "USER" guy). That being said, I bought my brother-in-law a model 28 and he harvested a lot of deer in Michigan over the years with that knife. Never broke it either.

Nice thing about knives is you can collect them, use them, sell them, fish with them, or display them in your home.
No need to torture test a given knife and then bad-mouth the knife on the forum dedicated to that specific brand of knife.
I would have expected better from a hard core USER type guy, but that is just my opinion. Carry On.
Tom V.
I like #4s and #1 grinds

Edited by Tom Vaught (06/14/18 09:40 PM)

#171888 - 06/14/18 09:41 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Pretty sure I never called anyone else any names. I always got the feeling on the phone that Scott didn't like me I never did anything to him.

Originally Posted By: TonyLaPetri
Well,

Here we go ... again.

Name calling. Not mature. Not helpful. Not needed.

This is why you were not missed.

To the Gentleman who started this post, you'll find many opinions here MOST of them helpful.
Nothing wrong with having a "safe queen" or two.
I do. Many of us do. And we have our favorite users.
#5 is Great for the woods. So is the #3, #4,#8, #7, #26,
#28 (Great!),#23.
...So many models, so little time! grin

Please feel free to continue to ask advise of us who LOVE Randall Knives!

Tony

#171890 - 06/14/18 09:44 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Tom Vaught]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

There's NO need to call anyone names...is the point. It's an especially poor showing on a new members FIRST post.

#DaysOfOurKnives

Edited by RamKingJC (06/14/18 09:45 PM)

#171891 - 06/14/18 09:54 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Tom Vaught]
gratefuljed Offline
Knife Enthusiast

did'nt mean to start anything with my first post. I think I'll bash the buxton, stash the 18, and get 3 going for my kiddos. That 5 looks like my ka-bar from childhood. Old looking is good, no?

#171892 - 06/14/18 09:56 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Tom Vaught]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

It's like an adjustable wrench vs a tight 6 point socket. When you use a tool that works better it makes a difference.

That said the 5-6 is definitely a silver medal in many categories and a gold in some. It's just that a nice Scandi can be hard to beat especially given it's size and weight.

The border patrol handle was the best thing I've ever found in a knife. The Randall sheaths are the best available. The bevel is very good it just doesn't bite like a Scandi but it's also more adept for other wilderness tasks. I have all hardwoods and when your working hardwood all day you need the sharpest bevel you can get you nearly need a cart of wood working tools.

In softer woods the 5-6 is equal or better being the handle is more comfortable. It's hard to explain without writing books on the subject and even then... I have read many of Bradford angiers books and I can tell he wanted to go into more detail but you can only go in so deep before you lose people.

Originally Posted By: Tom Vaught
I post rarely these days (as retired now and doing a lot of other things with my life besides playing with knives in the woods as a "USER" guy). That being said, I bought my brother-in-law a model 28 and he harvested a lot of deer in Michigan over the years with that knife. Never broke it either.

Nice thing about knives is you can collect them, use them, sell them, fish with them, or display them in your home.
No need to torture test a given knife and then bad-mouth the knife on the forum dedicated to that specific brand of knife.
I would have expected better from a hard core USER type guy, but that is just my opinion. Carry On.
Tom V.
I like #4s and #1 grinds

#171893 - 06/14/18 09:56 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: RamKingJC]
Tattoo Bill Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: RamKingJC
Bills point is based in the Buxton is a dealer special, so NOT a lot of them running around.

And #18's always old a special place for collectors, especially vintage ones.

Of the 2 the Buxton probably is the "better" camp user knife. But he also makes a good point in ordering 1 for yourself that would be better, probably a Model #5-6" or something along those lines. A great knife built for many chores.

Welcome to our forum, we are very happy to have you aboard!

What James said! lol
ta2bill@yahoo.com

#171896 - 06/14/18 10:02 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Tattoo Bill]
Billy Poyner Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi
Tony,James and Bill said it best.
I have a few Randall's and I use a different one for different game.It's like drag racing.You run what you brung!!!!

Proud to have served my country 67-69

#171897 - 06/14/18 10:05 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: RamKingJC]
spark42 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kentucky
Well said Ram.

Dennis
RKS #4298
RKCC #CM057

#171899 - 06/14/18 10:09 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: RamKingJC]
Tattoo Bill Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: RamKingJC
There's NO need to call anyone names...is the point. It's an especially poor showing on a new members FIRST post.

#DaysOfOurKnives

What James said! lol
ta2bill@yahoo.com

#171900 - 06/14/18 10:11 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: gratefuljed]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: gratefuljed
did'nt mean to start anything with my first post. I think I'll bash the buxton, stash the 18, and get 3 going for my kiddos. That 5 looks like my ka-bar from childhood. Old looking is good, no?

Sounds like a good plan. If possible go somewhere that you can hold some different models to see if something jumps out at you.
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#171901 - 06/14/18 10:15 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I think my initial post was just too much detail.

Knives aren't ever going to have a purely positive review or suit everyone's needs. A hollow handle survival knife and a double hilt fighter with a clip point with a skull crusher aren't going to fit into outdoor use as well as other Knives and I was only giving my experience with them. I highly doubtful many people have used a Buxton.

#171902 - 06/14/18 10:16 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Chief]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL.
I like em' all, but two of my favorites are the Non-catalog 8-4X, or the Stanaback Dealer Special, in the 4-5/8" version. The SS comes standard, loaded with options..
Enjoy the ride smile

#171903 - 06/14/18 10:27 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Chief]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

This is so true handle shape and hand size are critical. This along with finding a blade length that suits you.

When I got my first Randall I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of exact size. I found out sawteeth suck when your resheathing in the dark!
Originally Posted By: Chief

Sounds like a good plan. If possible go somewhere that you can hold some different models to see if something jumps out at you.

#171904 - 06/14/18 10:55 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Ben,
This is quite simple. ANYMORE of this crap you've been spewing forever on this forum and your ass is gone!
Clear enough?
Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#171906 - 06/14/18 11:08 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Model 15 is my favorite but for an all around user I think the Model 3 5” is a winner. I can guarantee whatever Model RMK you do chose it will will just lead to more RMK’s.

#171908 - 06/14/18 11:35 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Nobody mentioned a Randall carving set. I absolutely use mine every chance at holidays and dinner parties and I always get compliments. IMO, if you are a Randall guy, get a set, use it often, pass it down and make it a family heirloom treasure. Add some provenance and pass it along to your heirs.
So on to others I use. I have a 11-3 carbon, red stag handle, n/s hilt that I take along on every deer hunt.
I asked a good friend one day if he would sell me this pretty little knife, and he did. Who cares if his name was etched on the blade until he got sick. I promised my friend I would take him hunting with me because he couldn't but loved hunting. Sent him some bloody shots and we celebrated. When he passed, I cried; still miss him.
So,on to another. I carry a stock model 14 carbon, black micarta, fingergrips, inverted carry on my day woods pack in a Spec Ops sheath. Have needed and used it often. Still razor sharp; a workhorse.
Another vintage 11-5 that I carried and used and gifted to a great buddy in Montana.
The blades afterall can't speak for themselves, they're looking forward to seeing you.

Edited by W Polidori (06/14/18 11:45 PM)
Edit Reason: Sp

#171911 - 06/15/18 08:40 AM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: W Polidori]
JE6245 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tallahassee FL
Just want to second Warren's comment on the carving set. Plus, it's one of the best values in the RMK line up.

“If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.” – Yogi Berra

Me 2020

#171912 - 06/15/18 09:00 AM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: gratefuljed]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: USA
I'm not hunting with them rather just a camp/utility kind of thing.

For your needs, which are similar to mine, it would be hard to beat a Model 5. After trying many different models over a 32 year period, I settled on a 5-5 and never looked back.

Good luck and welcome to the forum! smile
RKS #4233

#171914 - 06/15/18 09:36 AM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: TAH]
rodbrown Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I am like TAH. I do not hunt or fish very much. A 5-5 or a 5-4 does everything I need. Everyone's needs are different.
Whether you think you can or can not, you are right.

#171915 - 06/15/18 09:51 AM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: rodbrown]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

As a younger guy who has received a carving set (non Randall) and a very large higher end silverware set I can attest to the fact that they are appreciated and used. It's almost hard to get nice silverware at a place like bed bath and beyond. Again the new stuff just looks stamped and cheap as where the older stuff has that nice shape. I did have to polish every piece before my wife would use them but she warmed up to them eventually.

Perhaps I should order a Randall carving set!

#171918 - 06/15/18 10:06 AM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
Kirko Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ladue,Missouri
GTR Special, I have used it from rabbits to deer and dove. I bought one way back after reading Capt. Chris's thoughts on it and his using it. He was right as rain !

#171919 - 06/15/18 10:47 AM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Kirko]
Shoot870p Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Wow, need a few million dollars in land? Is this NYC dollars or Montana dollars?
Ben, you have me questioning that ( and quite honestly other things as well).

#171920 - 06/15/18 11:51 AM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Shoot870p]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I was going to divulge a lot of details but I won't as people don't like that. Land prices are available to the public.

I just received a new 5-6 this morning, I might get some pics up later. Been a long wait!

#171921 - 06/15/18 12:26 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Leatherman
I just received a new 5-6 this morning, I might get some pics up later.

Curious, how is this 5-6 different from the one you sold?
RKS #4233

#171922 - 06/15/18 12:48 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: TAH]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Well I have had five of these over the years but this one has a heavy bevel on it

The blade does have considerable heft compared to the ones in the past. I'm really happy with the grind on it and I don't have any more knives on order so it's a keeper. Compare to my green handled one this one has a more substantial blade after I damaged a model 1/6 I think all of my subsequent orders have required a heavy bevel.

#171923 - 06/15/18 12:54 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Can you specify a heavy bevel?
RKS #4233

#171924 - 06/15/18 01:08 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: TAH]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I broke My Smithsonian this afternoon... I was hunting a elephant bull and tried to stab him with the knife. The Elephant kicked and broke the knife in half, while it was in my hand. Luckily I Had a back up knife, with a heavy bevel to finish him of.

It was on my own land and the elephant was imported. I do that every now and then, saves me a trip to Africa and I don't have to take Malaria Pills. It,s indeed good to have your own land. Mine is also worth millions in euro's, that's even more than dollars. Gotta go, have to feed the Rhinos, LOL

#171925 - 06/15/18 01:14 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: TAH]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: TAH
Can you specify a heavy bevel?

I suppose so but they automatically add it for me

#171926 - 06/15/18 01:19 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

What? The shop automatically adds a heavy bevel when they receive an order from you? confused
RKS #4233

#171927 - 06/15/18 01:31 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I thought Bradford angiers book was appropriate as this configuration models his favorite one.

Edited by Leatherman (06/15/18 01:50 PM)

#171928 - 06/15/18 01:36 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: TAH]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: TAH

What? The shop automatically adds a heavy bevel when they receive an order from you? confused

When I call they say heavy bevel man huh? I guess someone like Scott or Jason added that. I sure didn't specify it at least I don't remember doing so. In my shipping address box it says heavy bevel as well as notations under the order specs.

I put a misalignment in a 1-6 configuration. As in not true direct edge damage but a bow or bend in the actual bevel from a piece of hickory. Only other knife that happened on was a big Busse combat nmsfno. It was from the same tree but doing different work. After that is when the orders were heavy specified. Jason had seen one like it before but to my knowledge it's only happened to me those two times. It doesn't actually negatively effect the cutting edge.

Check that grind, it's super wide and still has a nice heavy thick blade I've not had one like it yet. Very nice shape like the catalog photo knife.

Edited by Leatherman (06/15/18 01:48 PM)

#171929 - 06/15/18 01:49 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
KevinC Offline
Just dropped in

Loc: Home-Central Florida
For outdoor use I have a #28 that has become my user. I have my eyes out for a 5-5, but honestly don't know why; it wouldn't ever replace my #28.

Like everyone said, you become addicted and keep buying.

KevinC

#171939 - 06/15/18 05:57 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: KevinC]
gratefuljed Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks alot fellas! Lots of useful information here, I'm glad I asked! One thing I know, things have changed in models and usage since my days as a kid. I know I have transitioned down from 3 great sons,great homes,great cars,great motos, great bikes to smaller things that are works of art; weapons, knives, guitars, amps, ect...I can enjoy, use, maintain, and repair all very easily!

Don't know the history of this place yet, but I'm here for the Randall knife and good info.

Again, Thanks

#171940 - 06/15/18 06:16 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: gratefuljed]
Knife Enthusiast

Jed,
Welcome aboard and...please: disregard the incidents within this. They have been addressed. There is a vast knowledge cache here. Hope you find it so and stick around.
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris
PS: I have many...many Randall knives but 12 that I "really" use. (& always lookin' for #13!)
CCS
My 2 primary hunting knives:
* Model #3-5"
* Model #5-5"
(to match)

Attachments
------Capt. Chris' #3 & #5-5 inch-A.JPG

------Capt. Chris' #3 & #5-5 inch-B.JPG

------Capt. Chris' #3 & #5-5 inch-C.JPG

------Capt. Chris' #3 & #5-5 inch-D.JPG

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#171941 - 06/15/18 06:53 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

2 of MY Favorite Randalls!!

Yes Jed, please do stick around. MOST of the fella's here are very happy to help out and answer any questions you have. There is SOOOOO much you can learn here and we are happy to have you!

Edited by RamKingJC (06/15/18 06:56 PM)

#171942 - 06/15/18 06:55 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Chris do you carry these RMK’s in different Sheaths when hunting. It seems as though the wear on the knives is more than the wear on the Sheaths. Thanks.
RD
RKS#2166

#171943 - 06/15/18 06:56 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Ronnie]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Ronnie
Chris do you carry these RMK’s in different Sheaths when hunting. It seems as though the wear on the knives is more than the wear on the Sheaths. Thanks.
RD

Those are the third or fourth edition sheaths... LOL... they wear faster than the knives do 4 sure!

#171946 - 06/15/18 07:42 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: RamKingJC]
gratefuljed Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Wow, nice knives! Thanks all for the warm welcome. I have been around lots of vitriol on forums, this is nothing! I don't cause it though, unless my username somehow incites a person or too..just very grateful, and JED!

#171947 - 06/15/18 08:18 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: gratefuljed]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
I've had Randalls for 50 years. First one was a Model 1-6, because I thought I was going to Nam. Second was a Model 5-5" Bradford Angier, and that was my go to for most everything. When I guided trout fishermen, I bought a Model 8, the best trout fishing knife ever designed. After I started making a few bucks, I am embarrassed to say how many Randall models I have, wish I still had, and wish I had bought. Welcome to the addiction.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#171955 - 06/16/18 12:13 AM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: pappy19]
mic214 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado
Jed,

welcome to the forum!

Out of the two knives you mentioned, I would choose the Model 18 for camp/utility work, although I am sure the Buxton Fighter would do fine in that role as well.

I had Model 5-5 for several years that I utilized as a general all around blade. I ended up passing it on to my daughter, so I replaced it with the slightly heavier Model 15 and I am very happy with it.

#171956 - 06/16/18 03:21 AM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: mic214]
gratefuljed Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Mick, that is a good looking blade..what is the handle? It looks good...I too am in the Land of Enchantment, a little more high desert than your knife appears to be!

#171957 - 06/16/18 05:09 AM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: gratefuljed]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

@ Gratefuljed,

I read that your sons probably will make safe queens of there knives. Are they in to big knives? If I would not have any Randall knives and somebody gave me one as a surprise, I would be the happiest with the Smithsonian. That is one impressive knife. 3/8" thick blade steel and 11 inch long blade. You have all kind of options and you could ask your sons what they like, or will that ruin the surprise?

As a close second option (just my opinion) you can buy the 12-9 #14 grind. That is the biggest knife in Stainless Steel that Randall makes. That is also an impressive and beautiful knife. One more option is the more classic Sportsman Bowie, the regular 12-9. I love Randall Bowie knives laugh
You also have two other model 12 big Bowie knives (shown on their site), but I like the ones I mentioned the most. The Smithsonian is the heaviest and widest Bowie that Randall makes.

Watching a mostly gun (but sometimes) a knife reviewer is what got me attracted to Randall knives.Ever since I saw this beast of a knife I wanted one and Captain Chris got me a beatiful piece a few months ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFYSvtMtBpk&t=548s

I have a nephew that I like a lot and some day I will order a Smithsonian for him. He likes knives and guns, but his mother hates them. So when he lives on his own (he is 14 now) I love to see his face when he opens a box and uncle Micha gave him one of the biggest and in my opinion the most beautiful Bowie knives on earth!

A big knife like that will never be forgotten. Every now and then there will be a birthday or something like that. Somebody brings up knives and it will be shown by a proud owner.

Edited by Sphinx3000 (06/16/18 05:52 AM)

#171959 - 06/16/18 08:10 AM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: gratefuljed]
mic214 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Mick, that is a good looking blade..what is the handle? It looks good...I too am in the Land of Enchantment, a little more high desert than your knife appears to be!

Thanks Jed!

The handle shape is what Randall calls their "Border Patrol" profile and the handle material is made of green Micarta. I got the inspiration for this knife from another member here on the board, "Cut it out". My knife has the carbon steel blade and a brass single hilt.

When you get a chance, you should check out his thread on "User Pics". He has a great collection of Camp/Utility style Randalls.

User PIcs....

I live in up in the mountains of Southern NM in Lincoln County (AKA: Billy the Kid country). We are at 7000 feet elevation here and I love it....grin

Where abouts are you?

#171961 - 06/16/18 08:46 AM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: mic214]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
Jed,
Here's one with a "single finger" grip style

:-)Rocky

Attachments
------DSC00970.JPG

RKCC#25

#171964 - 06/16/18 11:35 AM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: thevalueman]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Great knife, beautiful handle material.

#171994 - 06/16/18 03:27 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Sphinx3000]
gratefuljed Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Oh Lord, this is gonna get expensive! I think the best idea for my kids is to get each of them the carving set. They will get to use them and who doesn’t like great kitchen tools. I can then take some time and get them another great Randall. I really like all the options and since you all have shared what you like I get to see them with a more discerning eye. Thanks a lot,

#172057 - 06/17/18 01:48 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: gratefuljed]
mic214 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I think the carving sets are a great idea!

I would love to have one myself…… grin

#172070 - 06/17/18 03:49 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: mic214]
Byrdguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: FL Panhandle
If one doesn't hunt or fish, the Randall carving set would be the most useful gift. How else would one need a fixed blade knife on a regular basis. I've probably had nearly 100 Randalls and the only one I ever used was a 10-5 in the kitchen. A carving set would be great to have.
YMMV, as I don't hunt or fish, there are many, many that do.
RKS#4413
SHAG# 8
RKCC# CM096
NRA Member

#172072 - 06/17/18 04:21 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Byrdguy]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Here's my set. I added a Steak Knife and a 21 for smaller de-boning work. The 21 is a carbon blade with natural patina.

Attachments
------20161123_200359-1024x576.jpg

#172075 - 06/17/18 04:27 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: W Polidori]
CrazyCajun Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Warren, Good add on the 2 utility knives!!!

I use my carving set regularly!! Their great heirloom pieces or for special wedding gifts.
RKCC CM #051
NRA Member
FlA Knife Makers Assoc.

#172076 - 06/17/18 04:34 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: CrazyCajun]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Without a doubt Steve.

#172079 - 06/17/18 10:55 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: W Polidori]
Byrdguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: FL Panhandle
Nice set, Warren.
RKS#4413
SHAG# 8
RKCC# CM096
NRA Member

#172084 - 06/18/18 08:12 AM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Byrdguy]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks Pat. I found myself needing more than just a carver. All three share kitchen chores.

#172087 - 06/18/18 08:56 AM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Byrdguy]
Lytridis Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Belgium
@ gratefuljed

Must confess, I don't really understand your question. Why don't you want to use them? For more valor if you sell them? Both have their qualities and faults and both are more ... military use. I remember that Tommy Thompson was finding the 18 more appropriate than his 11 when Bo send it to him when he was in Vietnam. I will say, I will go with the one I feel the more easy with, without thinking in the futur. Both will keep their value. Personnally, I have a passion for the model 23 (single hilt) or the sergeant for all of my outdoors activities. For rabbit, salmons, pikes, I prefer smaller blades (the one I prefer by far is the model 7-4 1/2").
Talking about your kids, my first questions will be: How old are they? Is it their first knife? I will choose either a 5-5 either a 8. Both give a large possibilities and make the owner discover what he want/need with a knife.
The only "problem" with offering a randall is that you will also give them the randall virus smile.

#172111 - 06/18/18 05:30 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

When I call they say heavy bevel man huh? I guess someone like Scott or Jason added that. I sure didn't specify it at least I don't remember doing so. In my shipping address box it says heavy bevel as well as notations under the order specs.

Not doubting you, but I still don't understand what you mean by a "heavy bevel". The grind on your 5-6 doesn't look any different than usual. Is the edge left thicker?
RKS #4233

#172116 - 06/18/18 07:04 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: TAH]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The edge and grind of the knife was left heavier than normal because of Ben's past history of abuse of his RMK's... This is NOT a service we provide willingly, (too much headache and hands-on attention) but it became a neccessity in his case...

Scott
RKS #014

#172123 - 06/18/18 08:09 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Dirty_Water]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Got it. Thanks Scott.
RKS #4233

#172127 - 06/18/18 09:13 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Dirty_Water]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The edge and grind of the knife was left heavier than normal because of Ben's past history of abuse of his RMK's... This is NOT a service we provide willingly, (too much headache and hands-on attention) but it became a neccessity in his case...

Lol, finally figured out how Chief got all the BIG knives.
They developed a special code NFC; "Not For Chief" for blades under 7".

Edited by W Polidori (06/19/18 07:40 AM)

#172133 - 06/19/18 04:07 AM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Dirty_Water]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Haha, it's kind of like a handicapped accessorize, like a special bike for handicapped people or something similar. No offence to handicapped people, I work in healthcare and am a volunteer (together with my wife) for people who are mentally challenged, for years. Sounds like Ben got "special needs" LOL

#172162 - 06/19/18 02:01 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Dirty_Water]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL.

I actually have one on it's way to me that I'm probably selling it's also got stainless and a nickel single hilt and waxed no hone C.

Wasted effort if done for his benefit, then all he's going to do is sell it ??
I don't believe your work was appreciated, RMK !!

Edited by Michael_Mason (06/19/18 02:02 PM)

#172164 - 06/19/18 02:52 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Michael_Mason]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

"Wasted effort if done for his BENefit"

Haha, Randall has to make "special" knives because "Ben the Bender and Breaker" doesn't know his own powers, which is often the case with "special people" I find this whole situation funny, can't help myself. But, great customer service from Randall!

Edited by Sphinx3000 (06/19/18 05:51 PM)

#172185 - 06/19/18 10:42 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Sphinx3000]
spark42 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kentucky
Y'all are getting funny.

Dennis
RKS #4298
RKCC #CM057

#172187 - 06/20/18 12:24 AM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Sphinx3000]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Let’s not be condescending towards Ben. He’s a member here and he likes tuff knives.....so be it. Let’s be bigger than this and No more wise cracks.
RKS#2166

#172188 - 06/20/18 04:55 AM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Ronnie]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

No problem Ronnie!

#172200 - 06/20/18 11:18 AM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Ronnie]
Knife Enthusiast

Ronnie,
I received a text (or email, can't remember which) from Leatherman and he will attempt a more positive conversation on this forum shortly....."BUT"...(You knew it was coming)...Bad-mouth RMKs and call Scott an "asshole" (Ben's words, not mine) on this forum and you're gonna' get talked poorly about. Plain & simple!
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#172201 - 06/20/18 11:31 AM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I agree wit the Captain, those remarks irritated me also. That and the bragging of the millions of dollars of land you suppose to have to know a thing or two about guns and knives.
Even if you got that much of land, no need to brag about it.

But like I said I will stop the wise cracks.

#172205 - 06/20/18 04:11 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Sphinx3000]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The big knives are great in the Kitchen. This #14 with James Behring rehandle made short work of this Ribeye Cap. The #14 blade sliced thru this beef like cutting butter. Time to fire up the barbi.

Attachments
------IMG_5306 (1).JPG

#172215 - 06/20/18 07:04 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Eric]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Nice job Eric. Now let's egg Chief on to get out one of his Smitty's for some kitchen chores.

#172221 - 06/20/18 07:54 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: W Polidori]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Looking good Eric!

#172226 - 06/20/18 09:01 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Sphinx3000]
CrazyCajun Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Let's eat and move on!!!
RKCC CM #051
NRA Member
FlA Knife Makers Assoc.

#172229 - 06/21/18 12:17 AM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: CrazyCajun]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Chris you know me. You know I have done my share of bad mouthing and for me I really regretted it. Unfortunately I can never take all those words back. We have a good thing here and I just want to see us get beyond the name calling and all the bickering. Yes Ben was wrong to call Scott an asshole. Especially when he could have called him something much worse.....a Red Sox fan. I got a lot of stuff I have to make up for and I’m trying awfully hard to live my life so that I can get along with everybody.....well except liberals.....I can’t get along with them.
RKS#2166

#172244 - 06/21/18 02:53 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Ronnie]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Call me a Red Sox fan??!?

And here I didn't think Ronnie liked me...

Scott
RKS #014

#172246 - 06/21/18 03:50 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Dirty_Water]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Hahahahahahahaha. Don’t like you Scott??? Man I love ya!
RKS#2166

#172251 - 06/21/18 05:38 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Ronnie]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Ronnie,

You missed the opportunity to call him a Yankee fan. That would have done it for sure, LOL.

#172254 - 06/21/18 06:04 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: W Polidori]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Go Reds! No Sox...No Shoes....No Shirt.....No Problem!

#172260 - 06/21/18 10:59 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Eric]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Warren that would disgrace the good Yankee name!
RKS#2166

#172696 - 07/03/18 04:05 AM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Ronnie]
gratefuljed Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Well I for one gained a lot out of this thread! Thanks!

#172803 - 07/05/18 05:23 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: gratefuljed]
Steel6 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Groton, Connecticut
Just use what you want. If you want a pristine collector, by two. I use my 5-5 the most when in the woods.

NRA Life Member
82nd Abn Div Assoc - Life Member

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod