Clinton Knives Nifeboy.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171888 - 06/14/18 09:41 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
Pretty sure I never called anyone else any names. I always got the feeling on the phone that Scott didn't like me I never did anything to him.

Originally Posted By: TonyLaPetri
Well,

Here we go ... again.

Name calling. Not mature. Not helpful. Not needed.

This is why you were not missed.

To the Gentleman who started this post, you'll find many opinions here MOST of them helpful.
Nothing wrong with having a "safe queen" or two.
I do. Many of us do. And we have our favorite users.
#5 is Great for the woods. So is the #3, #4,#8, #7, #26,
#28 (Great!),#23.
...So many models, so little time! grin

Please feel free to continue to ask advise of us who LOVE Randall Knives!

Tony

#171890 - 06/14/18 09:44 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Tom Vaught]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

There's NO need to call anyone names...is the point. It's an especially poor showing on a new members FIRST post.

#DaysOfOurKnives

Edited by RamKingJC (06/14/18 09:45 PM)

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#171891 - 06/14/18 09:54 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Tom Vaught]
gratefuljed Offline
Knife Enthusiast

did'nt mean to start anything with my first post. I think I'll bash the buxton, stash the 18, and get 3 going for my kiddos. That 5 looks like my ka-bar from childhood. Old looking is good, no?

#171892 - 06/14/18 09:56 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Tom Vaught]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

It's like an adjustable wrench vs a tight 6 point socket. When you use a tool that works better it makes a difference.

That said the 5-6 is definitely a silver medal in many categories and a gold in some. It's just that a nice Scandi can be hard to beat especially given it's size and weight.

The border patrol handle was the best thing I've ever found in a knife. The Randall sheaths are the best available. The bevel is very good it just doesn't bite like a Scandi but it's also more adept for other wilderness tasks. I have all hardwoods and when your working hardwood all day you need the sharpest bevel you can get you nearly need a cart of wood working tools.

In softer woods the 5-6 is equal or better being the handle is more comfortable. It's hard to explain without writing books on the subject and even then... I have read many of Bradford angiers books and I can tell he wanted to go into more detail but you can only go in so deep before you lose people.

Originally Posted By: Tom Vaught
I post rarely these days (as retired now and doing a lot of other things with my life besides playing with knives in the woods as a "USER" guy). That being said, I bought my brother-in-law a model 28 and he harvested a lot of deer in Michigan over the years with that knife. Never broke it either.

Nice thing about knives is you can collect them, use them, sell them, fish with them, or display them in your home.
No need to torture test a given knife and then bad-mouth the knife on the forum dedicated to that specific brand of knife.
I would have expected better from a hard core USER type guy, but that is just my opinion. Carry On.
Tom V.
I like #4s and #1 grinds

#171893 - 06/14/18 09:56 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: RamKingJC]
Tattoo Bill Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Spring Hill, Florida
Originally Posted By: RamKingJC
Bills point is based in the Buxton is a dealer special, so NOT a lot of them running around.

And #18's always old a special place for collectors, especially vintage ones.

Of the 2 the Buxton probably is the "better" camp user knife. But he also makes a good point in ordering 1 for yourself that would be better, probably a Model #5-6" or something along those lines. A great knife built for many chores.

Welcome to our forum, we are very happy to have you aboard!

What James said! lol
ta2bill@yahoo.com

#171896 - 06/14/18 10:02 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Tattoo Bill]
Billy Poyner Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi
Tony,James and Bill said it best.
I have a few Randall's and I use a different one for different game.It's like drag racing.You run what you brung!!!!

Proud to have served my country 67-69

#171897 - 06/14/18 10:05 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: RamKingJC]
spark42 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kentucky
Well said Ram.

Dennis
RKS #4298
RKCC #CM057

#171899 - 06/14/18 10:09 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: RamKingJC]
Tattoo Bill Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Spring Hill, Florida
Originally Posted By: RamKingJC
There's NO need to call anyone names...is the point. It's an especially poor showing on a new members FIRST post.

#DaysOfOurKnives

What James said! lol
ta2bill@yahoo.com

#171900 - 06/14/18 10:11 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: gratefuljed]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: gratefuljed
did'nt mean to start anything with my first post. I think I'll bash the buxton, stash the 18, and get 3 going for my kiddos. That 5 looks like my ka-bar from childhood. Old looking is good, no?

Sounds like a good plan. If possible go somewhere that you can hold some different models to see if something jumps out at you.
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#171901 - 06/14/18 10:15 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I think my initial post was just too much detail.

Knives aren't ever going to have a purely positive review or suit everyone's needs. A hollow handle survival knife and a double hilt fighter with a clip point with a skull crusher aren't going to fit into outdoor use as well as other Knives and I was only giving my experience with them. I highly doubtful many people have used a Buxton.

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod