Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179283 - 03/30/19 09:52 AM Re: The Big Tough Folder... [Re: LarryWW1246]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Larry,

There's some good information in this article about different knife steels; easy of sharpening, edge retention, and Rockwell hardness.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/sharpening_S30V.html

#179284 - 03/30/19 10:14 AM Re: The Big Tough Folder... [Re: LarryWW1246]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lake Fork, East Texas
Hey guys: I watched that video a while back and it got my attention!

What do y’all know about ELMAX steel?

I had a guy out to repair my water well last week. He had a “flipper” that he used to cut electrical tape, pvc pipe, and #8 well wire. He put the wire on a piece of plywood and used a hammer on the back of the blade.

I looked at his knife and there was no logo whatsoever except “ELMAX” on the blade.

He said that he bought it from a guy that no longer works there a couple years ago and uses it every day.

Anyhow, I had heard of ELMAX but never seen any. I was impressed with his knife. I wish that I had videoed it or at least taken a pic or 2.

#179286 - 03/30/19 10:24 AM Re: The Big Tough Folder... [Re: LarryWW1246]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
Originally Posted By: LarryWW1246

I have carried a beater Benchmade Griptillian for years. It has 154CM steel, and won't hold an edge worth sharpening.

Looking at their customer service, they will replace the blade for a fee.

The newer steels that they offer for this knife include S30V and 20CV.

The chart in their catalogue shows 20CV as having superior edge holding and corrosion resistance, but not being as tough or strong as the S30V. However, since I am more concerned about edge retention I think I will get a new blade using the 20CV.

However, I wonder if you have seen ANY chipping of the 20CV edge?

Larry

Hi Larry,

It all depends on the specific manufacturer and its preferences in heat treatment for a particular application (knife model).

I made a mistake, it was necessary to more precisely indicate that it was on the knives that Hinderer S35VN was prone to chipping and also to add - at small angles of sharpening (20-25 grad and less). If take, for example S35VN in the treatment of Chris Reeve, she does not give chips, she is plastic enough.

As for the Benchmade, I can not say something about these steels in their performance, because I did not have them and my friends also.

I did not see chips with steel 20&#1057;V on knives Hinderer, GrayMan and Linder (Linder use M390, but it's the same thing). But I saw chips on the knives of one local manufacturer, he did 64-65 units of rockwell, then he began to harden 60-62 units and there were no more chips.

Warren - great info, thank you! smile

#179292 - 03/30/19 12:58 PM Re: The Big Tough Folder... [Re: W Polidori]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Warren--

Thanks for the link. Excellent information.

The article equates Elmax with D2 steel, and shows the same Ease of Sharpening and Edge Retention for them.

Desert Snake--

Thank you for clarifying for me. I "think" I am torn between S30V and S20V for the replacement Benchmade blade.... But will probably go with S20V since it holds an edge better (according to Benchmade).

Page 92 of the 2019 Benchmade catalogue at https://www.benchmade.com/media/forms/2018_Benchmade_Catalog.pdf provides graphics comparing the qualities of the steels they use. If you want to do the "hammer through wire and other hard stuff" there are other steels that should excel at that but which won't hold an edge very well--thinking about CPM3V here because it outranks all the others in Strength and Toughness.

Incidentally, the qualities of D2 do not impress me...at least based on the graph from Benchmade and the information in the article on sharpening.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#179293 - 03/30/19 02:03 PM Re: The Big Tough Folder... [Re: LarryWW1246]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Larry,

Bob Dozier used alot of D2 on many of his knives. I recall some folks saying it was more difficult to bring back once dull. I think the powdered metal steels have become very popular especially on folders.
Incidentally Microtech used Elmax on my OTF.

Attachments
------20190330_140922-1024x768.jpg

Edited by W Polidori (03/30/19 02:10 PM)

#179303 - 03/31/19 12:54 PM Re: The Big Tough Folder... [Re: W Polidori]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southwest Virginia
Personal experience comment with Benchmade re: customer service. I've owned, bought, sold so many over past 20-30 years; have sent back to the shop over couple dozen and they've repaired, stripped down, replaced every screw, several blades. So far haven't charged me anything and have returned checks at least four times and always called to discuss work before completing. Only my own experience, BUT can't beat it.
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#179306 - 03/31/19 01:40 PM Re: The Big Tough Folder... [Re: W Polidori]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
Larry

Good luck to you! I had 2 knives from Benchmade, both 154CM, they never had chips, I hope that the 20CV you want to choose will be strong enough and keep the edge a lot longer.

#179307 - 03/31/19 03:35 PM Re: The Big Tough Folder... [Re: desert.snake]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
I carried a Spiderco designed early Benchmade in ATS-34 and it was the second best to my Chris Reeve large Sebenza. But still one of my favorites.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#179328 - 04/01/19 09:05 AM Re: The Big Tough Folder... [Re: desert.snake]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Desert Snake--

This knife comes nowhere near being the Big Tough Folder that you and Lofty wrote so much about. It is just a day-to-day odd job cutter.

It is just not designed to pry, twist, or baton through whatever might have to be cut, so I don't use it like that. I would prefer to have an exposed-tang fixed blade for rough use (but if I had to destroy a folding blade to get something done that had to be done, that would be OK).

If the 20CV blade chips under my normal use, which does not amount to abuse, then I will definitely send it back to them.

I just got tired of sharpening the 154 one day, and having to do the same just a few days later after only cutting incidental things with it.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#179342 - 04/01/19 05:17 PM Re: The Big Tough Folder... [Re: LarryWW1246]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southwest Virginia
Everybody's got something they like/hate for any number reasons....BUT, Pappy's right in my experience only, with 3 much carried folders, re: ATS-34. Retains as fine an edge as you want pretty well, but the ease of resharpening is outstanding.
Just my 2 cents.
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  John_Hanlon, John_Nugent, kdhampton