Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 4 of 47 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 46 47 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168022 - 01/24/18 10:28 AM Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build [Re: RamKingJC]
rodbrown Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Don't know if my lousy photos will help or not.

Here are a 5-5, 5-6, 5-7, all with sawteeth. And a 5-8 with STN grind.

The 5-5's sawteeth are the regular grind, when they were available. As the Cap said, that is not what you get if you order a 5-5 today.

Attachments
IMG_2356.JPG (207 downloads)
IMG_2354.JPG (273 downloads)

Edited by rodbrown (01/24/18 10:45 AM)
Whether you think you can or can not, you are right.

#168023 - 01/24/18 11:43 AM Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build [Re: rodbrown]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southwest Virginia
Thanks for your "lousy photos" Rod, my friend.......great visuals ALWAYS help me. Like the RAM-MAN said, I think we're building a Camp Randall, so just out of curiosity what type of camping & camps do you guys envision doing & using such a fantastic blade. I figure we've got everything from a 45 ft. Winnebago to grabbing a tarp & hitting the trail amongst folks here. My own absolute soul-cleansing favorite is my minimalist 3 night pack on a still hunting trip in the late fall Whitetail/Gobbler combo season.....when I'd be tickled to death to have this Build-Blade as a companion.
Anyway.....On with the Build.....And thanks for another one Chris.
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#168027 - 01/24/18 01:40 PM Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build [Re: Duke]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Not to sound contradictory (Probably will though) but I am not so sure most folks would agree with the assessment of an 8 inch blade because it "isn't going to be carried", etc...Could be...Could not be. A poll of the crew would/could tell the story.
Bradford Angier's Model #5 was a 6 inch blade because he "thought it best" overall size..."& he wrote the book, crew"! I am also a tad surprised that not one, single crew member has requested or posted about or talked about a 7 inch??? (Huh?)...
Personally, I picture my small camp ax providing me with most of my heavy-lifting! Either that, or a machette or "pal". I would want a camp knife as a (well) Camp Knife. How about this? How about our first:....(Ready)...(Drum roll)...(Cymbals)...ROLL CALL VOTE!!!
Please vote for one of the following. (Actually, more of a poll than a vote:
A) Model #5 built for Camp Knife Chores
B) Model #5 built solely to carry
C) Model #5 built to baton and other non-warranteed duties
D) Model #5 built as a combination: Carry & camp chores
PLEASE VOTE NOW...This has no reflection on exactly what we are going to build but, rather, a reflection on how we perceive this build being actually used...the majority of the time. You may interject any lobby or bias you see fit.
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#168028 - 01/24/18 01:51 PM Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

C) Model #5 built to baton and other non-warranteed duties

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#168029 - 01/24/18 01:53 PM Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southwest Virginia
D.

Edited by Duke (01/24/18 01:55 PM)
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#168030 - 01/24/18 02:01 PM Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build [Re: Duke]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
A-Camp Chores

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#168031 - 01/24/18 02:57 PM Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build [Re: pappy19]
rfcarlin Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New York
D-Carry and Camp Chores.

Here's how I visualize the categories (and why I am voting for "D"):
-"A" Camp Knife Chores. A longer blade (7-8") used (maybe exclusively?) at the camp site for food prep, cooking and slicing. Given it's size, it would not the easiest knife to wear or 'carry'.
-"B" Carry. A shorter blade (4-5") used for a variety of light to medium duties; the smaller size blade makes the knife comfortable to carry and relatively easy to store or conceal as need be.
-"C" Baton and other N/W Duties. A mid-size blade (6-7"), designed for heavy duty chores (chopping, hacking, prying?). I'd eliminate the 5-4" from consideration here as we'd want the thicker blade stock (1/4" on the 5-5/6/7/8" rather than 3/16" on the 5-4") for the heavy-duty use.
-"D" Carry and Camp Chores. Mid range blade length (5-6") which is designed to be a 'jack of all trades'. Still comfortable to carry while versatile in its utility yet hefty enough to handle most chores. The original "Bearcamp Special" was a 5-5" and the original "Bradford Angier" design was a 5-6", so either blade length could fit the bill here.
RKCC #622

#168032 - 01/24/18 03:45 PM Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build [Re: rfcarlin]
Robert Frey Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Wausau, WI USA
D) Model #5 built as a combination: Carry & camp chores.

NRA Life Member

#168033 - 01/24/18 03:47 PM Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build [Re: rfcarlin]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Bob,
The #5-4" was eliminated before we started. As to mostly a carry knife (from the blade length choices we have) a 5" or 6" is what I had in mind.
As to camp chores. Kitchen work? Really: With an 8" Model #5? I'd say at least 1" and perhaps 2" too long for me. Nobody is going to strictly use this knife for one cause, I'm sure..."but"...(Wow: Another one)...there are some blade lengths that will serve multiple purposes.
Crew: Don't get me wrong. This is "ME" talking about my 60 years of camping experience. During the past 30 of which have been far more "cozy" than the earlier years! I strap my Model #5-5" on now and it will do almost anything I ask of it at my hunting camp. Of course: We also sleep in a 6 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath, commercial kitchen, with a den, featuring a wood-burning huge fireplace and 60" flat screen with "DISH" hunting camp!!
I just thought, being as "I" was the one that said to plea your case...I would just point out for, how in my mind's eye, I would classify this knife.
Keep 'em coming.
Also: Ramking: Crew members "should" understand that a lifetime warranty doesn't include baton work, etc...although I am sure the knife would perform well...
There: Enough Caveat.
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: A shot of more (not much more) youthful Captain, "roughing" it in the den with a newly mounted 7 point!!...CCS

Attachments
------Copy of 8 pt. mounted.jpg

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (01/24/18 03:48 PM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#168037 - 01/24/18 04:29 PM Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

THIS picture is missing SOOOOOOOOOOOO many things!!!!
A.) Micky
B.) A much larger Television.
C.) the "whisper channel."
I could go on.......

I only put C. cause I found the wording funny.

Edited by RamKingJC (01/24/18 04:36 PM)

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

Page 4 of 47 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 46 47 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod