dominionhobby.com Stanback Knives
Page 10 of 12 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169196 - 02/27/18 07:47 AM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Lofty]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
I found out that for me,I tend to shoot to the left with Glocks,the problem is with me,not the gun.

I corrected my fault by "hooking" my trigger finger onto the trigger and it would help me align the sights better and right on target.

I have a hard time deciding which to carry,my Glock 36 or my Charter Arms Bulldog that I converted to a "Boomer" configuration.

Also in the mix would be my Bond Arms Texas Defender usually in the 410/45LC configuration.

Wayne

#169208 - 02/27/18 10:34 AM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

With that long kerSCHPROINGBUZZzzzz trigger, a common complaint with Glock, not helped at all by long triggers. I have the same problem with any full sized auto, or even smaller, and rare are autos my stumpy digits can hook the trigger.

hence, the love of my old 22/45 Ruger with stubby 4" bull barrel pocket rifle, which dupes my 1911 setup with flat MSH and short trigger, and which is also nearly duped in all respects by the G43. With those three, if one does not fit, likely the other will not, either, all very similar in backstrap, girth, and reach. This all bears directly upon the above quoted accuracy with the G43, a wandering gun simply wrecks accuracy.

Keeps pointing free and easy, everything same same. Good sights on all three a big plus, as well. The Smith J/K/L works mighty fine for me, as does the Charter, which is right in there with those three in reach.

Mentioned all this as it might mean something to someone else who knows one fits, but wonders about another.

As for derringers, ah, the memories. The Bond Arms guy formerly worked at American Derringer, and absconded with learned know-how to do his own successful take after the owner died and left his widow running the place. I had the very first .45 Colt ADC ever made, back when original owner still alive, it was originally made as a suprise gift unique personal SN for noted writer/original Shootist (Rev) Hal Swiggett in thanks for early publicity helping the company greatly in even getting off the ground, but let I someone else have the derringer who appreciated its heritage greatly.

Late addition just to post a Peter Piper post a pic of pocket pistol, a pocket pistol pick did Peter Piper pic, for rainy day photo phun.

Sadly, today I must show off this side just to prove it is a "real" Bodyguard, when formerly there was only just a ho-hum Bodyguard in the photo.

For those who only got into shooting in the last several decades, the J-frame was lighter and shorter before they decided to intro the .357 frame, and then dump the .38Spl frame, regardless of chambering. Not many guns can be fired until empty from inside a jacket/coat pocket, but this is one of 'em. And THE most snag free design they made, rounded stern even better than the sharp corner of the Centennial, and why the original Centennial did not last, on top of its lack of crisp SA fire capability for a precise shot. This gun is both slick and fairly light, and very crisp, they actually did them that way back then, hard as it is to believe, today.

Edited by Lofty (02/28/18 12:59 AM)

#169238 - 02/28/18 07:58 AM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Lofty]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Lofty,
That Bodyguard is a classic PLUS those Tyler-T grips are the added touch.

Basically all of my Charters have Tyler-T grips. They don't add bulk but do improve the grip greatly.

Wayne

#169243 - 02/28/18 12:01 PM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Wayne, normally it wears the Baramis plus Tyler, but the gun mainly used in winter for pocket carry, no hip grip handle works under a tucked in shirt. Come warmer weather and untucked shirts, the Baramis go back on.

As for the T-grip, it plus factory wood beats most custom grips and current factory rubber for control AND comfort. Most new grips concentrate on skinny/flat, fly back in hand, and what filler they add at top of grip either also skinny and hard, or inadequately thick rubber, so frame pounds base joint of thumb/web. The wider old factory wood plus T-grip allows an actual hold enough to CONTROL the gun, puts the recoil back in palm where it belongs, and only a stinging slap there, rather than bone with skin stretched tight taking the gun rearing back.

Took me a while to admit most customs no good in comparison, was sucked into the boot grip thing and wondered why I had started hating J-frames, and why they hurt when memory told me they didn't seem so bad when I was younger. Just another example of failed must-have "improvements".

Edited by Lofty (02/28/18 12:08 PM)

#169244 - 02/28/18 12:35 PM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Lofty]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Lofty--

You might be familiar with Fuzzy Farrant's wood grips.

I have a one-of-a-kind pair for a J-frame that is quite comfortable.

Shoot me a PM in May and I will pull them out and get a photo just for info if you would like to see them.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#169248 - 02/28/18 02:49 PM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: LarryWW1246]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Larry, I actually had a set. They reminded me of a blend of Herrett and Spegel today, some of his required frame mods. They were actually better than many today, and Fuzzy has been gone 20yrs now, it seems. Actually, they were a bit bulkier than the factory with T-grip, great for a holster gun, except I never use a holster except to add as more filler to the dusty holster box. Thank you kindly for the offer of the pics, but met him and his boys years back. I guess they are now long retired, too (from the PD, don't think they ever took up Fuzzy's work).

Edited by Lofty (02/28/18 04:54 PM)

#169251 - 03/01/18 08:50 AM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Lofty]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Fuzzy's grip were very well made and fitted the frame like a glove.
Top those grips with a holster made by Chic Gaylord and you really had a good combination.

Wayne

#169254 - 03/01/18 10:25 AM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Wayne Dengler]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Farrant grips--

The pair I have are made from African blackwood that I sent to Fuzzy. When he sent them to me, he included a note: "Next time, I will supply the wood."

They are a bit longish to accommodate the pinky and give a bit more control--although that is not such a problem for me.

And they have a single checkered palm swell for the right hand only--making them less bulky than those with a double palm swell.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#169255 - 03/01/18 11:12 AM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: LarryWW1246]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Yeah, Chic was great. The ones of his done by Bell Charter Oak keep his name and art alive. My favorite bizarre was always the New York Reload with a pair of 36s.

As for the blackwood, would think his cutter needed cleaning every diamond or two. Those sound lovely, by the way, and a picture posted would be most welcome when May comes around.

I think the best duty grip was always the wood and T-grip with a wad of rubber bands twisted around the handle, field-expedient custom.

Late PS- I could talk about various small guns nearly forever, as over my life, there are very few not tried. Always was on the search for that elusive pocket sniper rifle capable of taking mice to elephant, and as rugged and reliable as a solid steel bar. Plus, what works for one person's build, dress habits, job description, etc may not, or will likely not (in my experience and to great harm to wallet), work for somebody else. I stuck with the Bodyguard all these years because it is a tack driver with the old LSWCHP over 2400, even if my eyes no longer up to it anymore, and now have it loaded with a boutique premium which actually DOES expand some at .38SPL velocities. But, I feel far from unarmed with any of them, whether the pocket .22LR rifle NAA mimimag, Bodyguard, G43, whatever, they all will do the job if I do my part.

Edited by Lofty (03/01/18 03:44 PM)

#169283 - 03/02/18 09:21 AM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Lofty]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Lofty,
That pretty much sums it up quite well.

They will do the job if you do your part.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Just yesterday,yet another coyote attack near by. Some folks were bitten and a dog was killed. Obviously,especially in this area,nobody packed heat.

Wayne

Page 10 of 12 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Peter_Kaufman