Randall Knife Collectors Club Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#166527 - 11/21/17 11:35 PM Re: Good Randall EDC small Knife? Any suggestions? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
All excellent points Cap. A Model 5-4" with a pouch sheath would be the perfect EDC, if available with the pouch sheath, in my humble opinion.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#166532 - 11/22/17 03:10 AM Re: Good Randall EDC small Knife? Any suggestions? [Re: crutchtip]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Originally Posted By: crutchtip
Friggin nimrods. Whaddya expect, that is where the Kennedys are from.

Exactly why I would't live in one of those shit holes

Hard to believe in this country some douche nozzle politician thinks because a 6 inch blade is sharp on both sides it will cause more damage than my 10" kitchen carver sharp on one side.

“Douche Nozzle Politician” I wish Joe wouldn’t sugar coat everything. Come on Joe. Tell us how you really feel.
RKS#2166

#166537 - 11/22/17 08:48 AM Re: Good Randall EDC small Knife? Any suggestions? [Re: Ronnie]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Regarding knife laws in different locations across the country, Knife Rights actively works to get legislation repealed or adopted in favor of knife owners.

They also have an app that helps to guide users through the laws in 50 states and 40 cities. The app can be found at: https://kniferights.org/resources/legal-blade/ .

In general, it is best to carry a knife that is conservatively permitted under the law wherever you are in order to try and avoid adverse reactions from the public as well as perhaps zealous law enforcement officers. And if asked by an officer why you are carrying a knife, you should never reply "for self defense" since in many places this would then qualify the knife as a weapon--which is generally prohibited.

Sometimes, the display of a knife can be out of place. In a corporate setting, I was sitting in a meeting when an engineer pulled out a large pocket knife and proceeded to trim a fingernail. Even though I owned knives that would put his to shame, my reaction was one of surprise and thinking that this was not the place for such a knife to be flaunted.

If done in many situations, such a display can lead to complaints by members of the public who might feel "threatened." Consider New York City where the police arrest people carrying otherwise legal knives that expose a pocket clip--the law allows them to assert that it is a "display" of a threatening nature. Lots of people have paid fines for carrying such knives, and I suspect they then have a criminal record. Knife Rights has taken this on, but I am not sure they have won out yet.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#166538 - 11/22/17 08:55 AM Re: Good Randall EDC small Knife? Any suggestions? [Re: pappy19]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Capt. Chris and Pap--

I agree about the Model 5-4, and have a couple of nice ones I bought from you-know-who.

I also like the Mini-27. It is small, fits into a custom left-side pouch sheath, and pretty enough that the ladies won't run scared if they see it.

Then--depending on what is allowed wherever you are, and if you are looking for more performance like breaking through doors or whatever--there is the Model 28 Woodsman. Substantial construction without as much bulk as its cousin the Model 15, and it carries gently in a Kydex sheath.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#166541 - 11/22/17 10:11 AM Re: Good Randall EDC small Knife? Any suggestions? [Re: LarryWW1246]
mic214 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado
I have had a 10-3 that I carry in my gear bag on a daily basis. In addition to mainly opening up and breaking down boxes, I also use it for dressing out game birds.

Recently, I have picked up a Model 8 and a 26, either one would suffice for EDC, but my primary use for those will be for hunting. My next acquisition will be a Model 5-4 and I think that will be my knife of choice for all around every day packing.

My 10-3:

My 26:

My 8:

Edited by mic214 (11/22/17 12:43 PM)

#166544 - 11/22/17 11:17 AM Re: Good Randall EDC small Knife? Any suggestions? [Re: LarryWW1246]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: LarryWW1246
Regarding knife laws in different locations across the country, Knife Rights actively works to get legislation repealed or adopted in favor of knife owners.

They also have an app that helps to guide users through the laws in 50 states and 40 cities. The app can be found at: https://kniferights.org/resources/legal-blade/ .

In general, it is best to carry a knife that is conservatively permitted under the law wherever you are in order to try and avoid adverse reactions from the public as well as perhaps zealous law enforcement officers. And if asked by an officer why you are carrying a knife, you should never reply "for self defense" since in many places this would then qualify the knife as a weapon--which is generally prohibited.

Sometimes, the display of a knife can be out of place. In a corporate setting, I was sitting in a meeting when an engineer pulled out a large pocket knife and proceeded to trim a fingernail. Even though I owned knives that would put his to shame, my reaction was one of surprise and thinking that this was not the place for such a knife to be flaunted.

If done in many situations, such a display can lead to complaints by members of the public who might feel "threatened." Consider New York City where the police arrest people carrying otherwise legal knives that expose a pocket clip--the law allows them to assert that it is a "display" of a threatening nature. Lots of people have paid fines for carrying such knives, and I suspect they then have a criminal record. Knife Rights has taken this on, but I am not sure they have won out yet.

Larry

Larry -

Never heard such nonsense.

I would venture to say 99.9% of the people that saw a clip, if they even noticed it, wouldn't suspect it was a knife. I also don't think 99.9% of the folks walk around fearing a knife attack.

This is all contrived liberatard politician bullshit.

FYI, it wouldn't have bothered me that your co-worker displayed the knife particularly, what would have bothered me is the poor manners he exhibited by cleaning/trimming his nails during the meeting! I find that in extremely poor taste. WTF?!?

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#166547 - 11/22/17 11:45 AM Re: Good Randall EDC small Knife? Any suggestions? [Re: crutchtip]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
Joe, you shouldn't sugar coat it like that....tell it like it is!!

:-)Rocky
RKCC#25

#166554 - 11/22/17 05:25 PM Re: Good Randall EDC small Knife? Any suggestions? [Re: thevalueman]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
“Douche Nozzel Politician.” Still laughing at that one. From now on every politician I know is a “Douche Nozzle Politician”.
RKS#2166

#166566 - 11/22/17 10:31 PM Re: Good Randall EDC small Knife? Any suggestions? [Re: mic214]
Jon_Peterson Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Denver, CO
Mick,

Which do you think is better, the 26 or the 8-4?

Thanks
Jon

#166568 - 11/22/17 10:59 PM Re: Good Randall EDC small Knife? Any suggestions? [Re: Jon_Peterson]
mic214 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Jon_Peterson
Mick,

Which do you think is better, the 26 or the 8-4?

Thanks
Jon

Jon,

That is a tough call. The 26 has a thicker blade profile from the hilt to the tip, but my 8 has a thicker piece of stag for the handle.

I would feel equally at home with either one working on a mule deer. I guess it would come down to what your intended use is and if you need the top edge (Model 8) sharpened or not (Model 26).

So based on the above, if I had to choose only one for EDC, I think I would split the difference and go with the Model 5-4 as I think it is the best of both worlds.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod