Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165070 - 09/27/17 12:36 PM Re: Personal preference Model 1, 16SF, or 14? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Name sounds good, "Special Fighter", surely to garner some sales with the mystical name particularly if they are being pushed, but it doesn't offer anything over a DH 16 and is really not that attractive of a knife - to me. Doesn't have any "lines", particularly when compared to a standard configured model 1.

So what improvement does it give you? Just trying to understand.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#165072 - 09/27/17 01:00 PM Re: Personal preference Model 1, 16SF, or 14? [Re: crutchtip]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: crutchtip
So what improvement does it give you? Just trying to understand.

Theoretically, greater strength due to a wider tang and additional handle choices.

ETA: I read your question as if you were asking about improvements compared to a standard Model 1. You might have meant compared to a DH16. Regardless, I don’t think the SF was designed to be an improvement over a DH 16. Obviously, it is offered for those who want a beefed up Model 1 with additional handle choices.

Edited by TAH (09/27/17 01:32 PM)
RKS #4233

#165076 - 09/27/17 01:53 PM Re: Personal preference Model 1, 16SF, or 14? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Capt. Chris and others,

From this discussion, it sounds like finger grips are personal and subjective.

There are two aspects to think about when it comes to finger grips—What is pleasing to the eye, and what is practical for the user.

And, of course, sometimes these don’t line up together.

The contoured handles--Model 14 FG, SFG, BP--were designed to improve the user’s ability to hold onto the exposed tang knives like the Model 14, 15, 16, and 16-1 Special Fighter, under conditions where it could be difficult to keep their grip on a straight handle.

The Model 14 FGs came along when Bo was trying to design a knife for the Marine Corps that would be used under trying combat conditions, and with the Model 16 Diver’s Knife which is important to be able to hang onto and control under water.

The deep Model 14 FGs also make it easier for someone wearing gloves to be able to hang onto the knife.

I think that previously a buyer could ask the shop to do “Model 14 light” FGs on the exposed tang knives, with the grooves made shallower according to personal preference. I don’t know if this is still available.

Also, I don’t remember ever seeing one, but wonder whether a buyer might ask to have a straight “No FG” on the 14, 15, 16, or 16-1 Special Fighter? That is a question I never asked, but maybe Capt. Chris can clarify it.

The SFG tends to “force” a user to hold onto the knife just one way, in my opinion, with the contour of the lower handle making it awkward to turn the knife upside down in the hand in order to use saw teeth or a sharpened top bevel.

The BP handle gives the user a bit more control than a straight handle, and is more comfortable if the user wants to turn it upside down to use saw teeth or a sharpened top bevel. Still, the “feel” of doing this might not be liked by everyone.

Finally, if we look at the RMK’s that come standard with straight handles of leather, wood, or Micarta, the FG options that I recall are Right Hand, Left Hand, and “14 Light” which makes a knife more ambidextrous while giving the user somewhat more control. The amount of material available in some handle choices such as stag means that FGs cannot be as deep as on the Model 14 family of Micarta handles.

Lots of tradeoffs to be made. And we have all seen some beautifully executed examples of all these options on various knives.

For me, it doesn’t matter so much what some knives look like if they were designed and made to meet a demanding need. But for others, function and aesthetics can be more easily combined—they are capable of doing their intended chores, but can also be “pretty.”

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#165094 - 09/27/17 07:16 PM Re: Personal preference Model 1, 16SF, or 14? [Re: W Polidori]
Kirko Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ladue,Missouri
I don't like finger grooves or crows beak on a knife loaded with "hot spots' , especially the reverse grip. The model one standard handle is the best ever made, it feels like a rapier , that is quick and facile.

#165100 - 09/27/17 11:08 PM Re: Personal preference Model 1, 16SF, or 14? [Re: Kirko]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

This is what I am talking about:

Attachments
------early 16-1.JPG

------Copy of DSCN0685.JPG

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#165101 - 09/28/17 01:08 AM Re: Personal preference Model 1, 16SF, or 14? [Re: crutchtip]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
"surely to garner some sales with the mystical name particularly if they are being pushed"
Joe, I certainly cannot speak for anyone else but anybody who knows me or has dealt with me would know I'm the "last" one to "push" anything...(Just in case that reference was meant for me...& I am the only one "selling RMKs" on this thread, that would be in that position).
I'll tell you this much. Some military personnel being sent to the sand have asked me what the 3 knives the Randall shop had to offer with a shorter waiting time. When I told them the 3 choices, nobody...and I mean "Nobody" chose anything else "except" the Special Fighter, but that was probably because the mystical name garnered the sale...not the fact that they got more...much more for their hard-earned dollar!
I have always known you didn't like the Special Fighter Joe. You even stated so in one of your comments on this thread. Nobody is going to win a prize on this topic and everybody's opinion counts. Let's agree that ours differ..."&"...I like all friggin' "3" of them!
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: Just to prove I like "some" of the same thing Joe does, here's a couple of matching #16's from my "STASH"...CCS

Attachments
------Captain Chris' Stash-#16's-Jade Canvas-A.JPG

------Captain Chris' Stash-#16's-Jade Canvas-E.JPG

------Captain Chris' Stash-#16's-Jade Canvas-D.JPG

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#165105 - 09/28/17 07:09 AM Re: Personal preference Model 1, 16SF, or 14? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Thanks for posting those Cap. That Jade green doesn't suck!

#165106 - 09/28/17 07:42 AM Re: Personal preference Model 1, 16SF, or 14? [Re: W Polidori]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

No Cap, you know I wasn't referencing you in that fashion. I do think the "mystical name" helps with that model as I am gonna guess many guys that get them are not "Randall guys" per se and it sounds kinda cool. "Hey you want a double hilt 16 or a SPECIAL FIGHTER?! Damn give me the SF!!!"

It isn't a bad deal for the money, no doubt, but like I said, I am a bit more of a traditionalist and have never cared for the look of the SF. A #1 blade and a traditional i.e standard with maybe a slight drop or commando handle is the shiznit! RH or LH grips to taste. Just my opinion.

Now the two 16's you posted are more my style. I have not owned a BP handle like that, but it is the only alternative I would consider versus the standard. Very comfortable in the hand and probably a bit more useable for edge up.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#165119 - 09/28/17 12:06 PM Re: Personal preference Model 1, 16SF, or 14? [Re: crutchtip]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Warren & Joe,
Thanks. I just wish I could find more of this Jade Green> I have about 7-8 RMKs made up in it and would like about that many more!
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#165131 - 09/28/17 07:31 PM Re: Personal preference Model 1, 16SF, or 14? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Just green with envy Cap. Good luck with the search; keep me in mind.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod