Nifeboy.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#164932 - 09/24/17 05:59 AM Re: Personal preference Model 1, 16SF, or 14? [Re: tunefink]
Kirko Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ladue,Missouri
The handle on the model one is best I have ever used , no hot spots what so ever . Have a couple of Blackjack 125's they copied it because it gets high marks for use. http://atmknives.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/dscn1692.jpg

#164933 - 09/24/17 07:24 AM Re: Personal preference Model 1, 16SF, or 14? [Re: Kirko]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
What about this?
Capt. Chris

Attachments
------#16-Spl-RBM-10.JPG

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#164935 - 09/24/17 09:28 AM Re: Personal preference Model 1, 16SF, or 14? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

16SF is a non issue. I don't even know why that model exists. A double hilt 16 does the job just fine and doesn't look cobbled together. The finger relief cut on a 16SF is about useless. You won't want to use the knife in the upside down mode with those finger grips digging into your palm, so what is what is the point?

14 is a big knife and as a fighter will do it well. It also offers the greater utilitarian use over a model 1

I think the obvious choice here as a fighter only is the model 1.

I will say, as a pure fighter, the model 2 reigns supreme. That is the sole purpose for its existence.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#164938 - 09/24/17 09:48 AM Re: Personal preference Model 1, 16SF, or 14? [Re: crutchtip]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
This is exactly the response I was searching for Joe. The "why". I haven't opined yet cause I was searching for your thoughts. As a fighter, the model 1 as about as good as it gets IMO, however I like the 14 in standard configuration for it's heft and downright indestructible construction. Mine goes with me on every hunt. Not as a dressing tool but a just in case. Keep it going fellas.

#164939 - 09/24/17 11:15 AM Re: Personal preference Model 1, 16SF, or 14? [Re: W Polidori]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
Has anyone here actually used any of these models against another person?
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#164946 - 09/24/17 02:14 PM Re: Personal preference Model 1, 16SF, or 14? [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Billy Poyner Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi
Tony,
The hospital doesn't allow any type of weapon on premises.
Luckily for some of the medical staff I didn't have a 1-7
on my person or in the room.

Proud to have served my country 67-69

#164958 - 09/24/17 05:10 PM Re: Personal preference Model 1, 16SF, or 14? [Re: TonyLaPetri]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: TonyLaPetri
Has anyone here actually used any of these models against another person?

Not I. My selection was based strictly on theory, hearsay, and Bo's word. smile
RKS #4233

#164959 - 09/24/17 06:06 PM Re: Personal preference Model 1, 16SF, or 14? [Re: TAH]
Boomer51 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee
I killed a big Africa rat rummaging around in my rucksack one night with a 14 but that's about it. It was strong enough to puncture half of my kit in the process.

I think the model 1 wins as the pure fighter choice of the three but for military use the 14 is the best all around combat theatre knife made. IMO its better to have a dependable all around tool that you can fight with if need be and that's the 14. The blade has enough spine to pry open ammo boxes and heavy enough to quarter up a warthog and get it on the spit and will still cut you out of your gear if need be. The finger grips provide positive control in a bare or gloved hand - sweaty, greasy, bloody - doesn't matter, once you grab it, it isn't going anywhere. Everybody has their favorites and that's ok, this is just my humble, biased opinion.

#164961 - 09/24/17 06:40 PM Re: Personal preference Model 1, 16SF, or 14? [Re: Boomer51]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
The knife I featured earlier received no response...but that's alright. Here's "another" shot of it...&...unlike Joe, I like it as my pure fighter choice. BPH or with the fg's knocked down, the #16-7", Special Fighter, is dynamite!
You get the blade shape and length of the most popular of fighters, the Model #1..."BUT"...(Ahhhh: Another "but")...you "also" get full, exposed tang construction and a stainless blade as standard equipment!
Don't knock a knife because of one particular handle shape when so many are available. Also: Wrist thong? "No extra charge". Another noteworthy mention is, during all of the latest "Desert Conflicts" my number one seller to military personnel, "actually" shipping out to the crap, was a #16, Spl. #1. SFG & BPH were amongst the preferred choices.
Another "another"...I have not killed anyone with a knife. I've stuck a couple but never killed them. I "have", however, killed a dozen or so hogs, in a trap, with one in Immokolee, Florida and they were dispatched quickly and without drama or incident!
A #16-7" Special Fighter would be my #1 choice. The grip is more secure. The blade length and stock is perfect. You can "also" use it as a Diver's model and it fits into Randall's nylon sheath like a glove!
I prefer a Model "C" style sheath, waxed leather. Perfect medicine for a whole lotta' stuff! (Sorry Joe) They're all great knives...No real loser, just my preference listed for the reasons I (hope) I've explained.
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris
PS: This one's SFG with laminated red/blue micarta from (You guessed it) The Captain's "STASH"! Photo shows a standard Model "A" sheath, in tan leather...CCS

Attachments
------#16-Spl-RBM-1.JPG

------#16-Spl-RBM-3.JPG

------#16-Spl-RBM-8.JPG

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#164962 - 09/24/17 07:22 PM Re: Personal preference Model 1, 16SF, or 14? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Great stuff Cap, thanks for the most complete post. You nailed it. Oh great knife there, hope its still in the "stash"

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod