Randall Knife Collectors Club Miles Swelze
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#167868 - 01/16/18 10:50 AM Re: Gators might be smarter than I thought [Re: W Polidori]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
I'm going to be there (Orlando) in June.. a week after the Blade Show in Atlanta.

I already have plans on visiting the museum and (if possible) the shop.

#167870 - 01/16/18 12:56 PM Re: Gators might be smarter than I thought [Re: Windsor]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
Rob,
I will be at BLADE in June. I arrive early that Friday morning and,if not in jail,be leaving by the following Monday.

I have been going to BLADE since 2001. It is one of my three trips to do each year.

I can usually be located by Capt Stanaback's section or by the Behring Made Knife section.

Wayne

#167871 - 01/16/18 02:04 PM Re: Gators might be smarter than I thought [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I've been there the past two years.

'16 I conned work into covering most of the expenses. The mothership is in Georgia and I was doing a lot of traveling for work.

In '17 I cashed in travel points (airfare, rental car, hotel) to make it. I did a lot of lurking at Stanaback's table last year.

This year looks like it's mostly out of pocket, but we've budgeted for it so all good.

To date, I have never stepped foot in Florida. Not even bouncing through Miami (or other) airports.

#167875 - 01/16/18 06:22 PM Re: Gators might be smarter than I thought [Re: Windsor]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Ooh, I just got a good look at the schedule.

I'm not going to make Blade Show this year afterall. I'm going to be in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana (where Missoula resides) visiting family the week prior.

We're flying home on 2 June, which is the same day as "the big day" of the Blade Show.

Then the weekened after (10 June) flying to Orlando.

#167881 - 01/17/18 09:11 AM Re: Gators might be smarter than I thought [Re: Windsor]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Sorry that you won't make it to BLADE.
While in MT,see if you can go to the Smoke Jumpers Museum,right down the road from Behring Made Knives.

Of course,when you are in Orlando,a must trip is to RMK (but not on Fridays).

Wayne

#167882 - 01/17/18 12:08 PM Re: Gators might be smarter than I thought [Re: Wayne Dengler]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Also the Forest Service museum is at 9 Mile Ranger Station. I had my first Fire School there in 1965.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#167893 - 01/18/18 08:55 AM Re: Gators might be smarter than I thought [Re: pappy19]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Pappy,
Are you also a smoke jumper???

That has got to be one of the toughest jobs going.

Back in 1990,I passed through Missoula,was thinking about stopping by the Ruana Knife shop but had to press on to BC.

Wayne

#167895 - 01/18/18 09:23 AM Re: Gators might be smarter than I thought [Re: Wayne Dengler]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

No, I was never a Smokejumper, but as a young forester with the Forest Service, I hung out with a bunch of them. Very tough dudes and hard to keep up with,fighting fires or bar hopping. I have some fond memories of those Smokejumpers. Most of them had the Ruana Smokejumper knife on their belts.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#167919 - 01/19/18 08:54 AM Re: Gators might be smarter than I thought [Re: pappy19]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Yep,very tough folks indeed. I guess when they jump into an area and finish fighting the fire with just basic tools,they have to hoof it out on their own to a pick up location.

I have not checked to see if Rana Knife is still in operation.

Years ago,their knives were very inexpensive considering how well they were made.

If I am not mistaken,they preffered to use old Studebaker springs.

Wayne

#167923 - 01/19/18 12:09 PM Re: Gators might be smarter than I thought [Re: Wayne Dengler]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Ruana Knife Works is alive and well and still outs out a great product for reasonable prices. Some of the original knives made by Rudy R.H. Ruana, were made using Studebaker leaf springs, but not any longer. There is a YouTube showing their entire process, including their sheaths which are made at their shop too.
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod