James Behring Knives Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162913 - 07/23/17 07:38 PM Jordan Spieth: The next great one?
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Been watching and rooting for this now almost 24 year old to be the next great one.
At 23 he's already got a better record than Jack or Tiger. If you watched today's open he lost it with the putter on the front but hit bombs on the back nine. To those of us who watched Seve, the best ever scrambler in the game to Jack or Tiger the best putters when it mattered; Jordan has both. This was a match play British Open from the start. What a finish. Amazing win For Spieth.
What do you golfers think?

#162915 - 07/23/17 09:22 PM Re: Jordan Spieth: The next great one? [Re: W Polidori]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
I really like him. He is a humble fellow. I saw an interview with him from yesterday and he was heaping accolades on Kutcher and how much he likes him as an individual and a Super golfer. Just a really nice and talented guy.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#162917 - 07/24/17 03:03 AM Re: Jordan Spieth: The next great one? [Re: pappy19]
Neale_Jenkinson Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lincolnshire,England
It really was a great Open Championship,many great performances,a record breaking 62 in the third round,lots of drama,really enjoyed watching it.I have played Royal Birkdale several times,the tees the pros are playing from are so much further back,the fairways so much narrower and the rough so much deeper for the Open its really not the same golf course,plus par for the pros is lower,70 round that track is tough.
Is Jordan Spieth the next great one,no,he is one of the great ones but I don't think there will be one dominant player,so many fantastic players have emerged from Tigers shadow,Rory,Dustin,Hideki,Justin Thomas to name a fraction of the talent out there.I think the game is better for all when any player who can make the cut has a chance of winning,I Think Jordan Speith will go on to win more majors,will he match Tigers tally,probably not,will he get to Jacks definately not,I believe we are about to enter one of the most entertaining eras of major championship golf,roll on the USPGA.

#162923 - 07/24/17 07:22 AM Re: Jordan Spieth: The next great one? [Re: W Polidori]
GCTom41 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NY
Warren,

Well said!

His talk after where he mentioned the role Michael his caddy played was so heartfelt and warranted. He then went on to thank Matt Kuchar for his patience at his 20 minute shot from the driving range. Alot to be proud of; but mentioned all those who had a part in his victory. Very special young man. Hope to see him play on for many many years to come.

Tom Flynn
RKS#5918
RKCC-CM-178
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

#162926 - 07/24/17 07:38 AM Re: Jordan Spieth: The next great one? [Re: GCTom41]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Thank for the responses guys. I think we're all in agreement that Jordan while still quite young is very mature and poised. He speaks extremely well and is very gracious. It's not about him, but those around him; his team as he calls them. It will be interesting to see how he finishes the season and if he can get the career slam in the books.

#162928 - 07/24/17 07:58 AM Re: Jordan Spieth: The next great one? [Re: W Polidori]
Byrdguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: FL Panhandle
I don't play, but I follow the game and enjoy watching it. I agree with Neal, there are so many excellent young players that it will be hard for one to dominate. Jordan is definitely my favorite player, though.
RKS#4413
SHAG# 8
RKCC# CM096
NRA Member

#162939 - 07/24/17 01:25 PM Re: Jordan Spieth: The next great one? [Re: Byrdguy]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
I played for a few decades, quiting only when my knee failed to the point of it not being any fun anymore. I only broke 90 a couple of dozen times. Never of a better level of play than that but still not embarrassing either.
I have hunted, fished and sat in Jack & Barbara's kitchen with them. There will never be another "Jack", at least not in the same sense. A true champion...always and a fantastic sport at all of his endeavors.
I am in agreement with the "multi-talents" of golf, right now. The game is better for it and anyone can win! I'd like to see Ricky get a major soon.
62: New record..."BUT"...(That word again) on a par 70, long, narrow hard or not...I think it a bit diminished. Not Saint Andrews, for sure. The over-the-top amount of sub-par rounds speaks for that.
Great open, by any measure.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#162955 - 07/25/17 03:01 AM Re: Jordan Spieth: The next great one? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Neale_Jenkinson Offline
Knife Enthusiast

No 'BUT' about it, 8 under par is 8 under par,62 around Birkdale in Open Championship guise is amazing,Jonny Millers 63 around Oakmont was also 8 under the par of 71.
When I played at Birkdale,as a single figure handicapper,off the front tees,with members pin positions and wide fairways I could not break 90 playing well,8 pars 4's well over 450yds 3 of them very close to 500 yds it's a par 70 technically but at c7200 yards it's a monster.As for St Andrews,I've played the Old Course once,you really can hit it all over the place there,massively wide fairways and huge shared greens,it's the Home of golf and deserves its place on the Open rota but there are far more challenging courses,especially for the pros.

#162959 - 07/25/17 09:32 AM Re: Jordan Spieth: The next great one? [Re: Neale_Jenkinson]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Neale,
I, of course, defer to your local knowledge of the course. I have never had the privilege to play any of your fine courses. I am positive the course was challenging. I am just going by what I saw and heard. I "heard" all players commenting on how "fair" the course was and how it "rewarded good play". I "saw" the very fine weather had for the majority of the open. Blue skies and white cumulus clouds are not something I am used to seeing at the open. I also "saw" the multiple rounds of sub-par golf during those 4 days. I am sorry if my observation came off as questioning your local knowledge of the game. Hell Neale: "Single digit handicap"! Just one "redneck word" for that: "Boyhowdy"!
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#162963 - 07/25/17 12:54 PM Re: Jordan Spieth: The next great one? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Neale_Jenkinson Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Hi Chris,I take your point although I would say Opens at the Old Course have been won with 18 and 19 under par (Faldo and Tiger) Jordan Speiths 12 under is the lowest ever winning score in an Open at Birkdale,it's previously been won at -5 Watson -1 Miller and level par O Meara,that 62 albeit on the best scoring day was still a spectacular display of golf on one of the most challenging of Championship courses,when you've got the best major player ever in Jack Nicklaus tweeting congratulations and Gary Player doing the same,you know it was a moment in history.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod